Gender neutral 'hen' enters dictionary

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Gender neutral 'hen' enters dictionary".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

susan rose (X)
susan rose (X)  Identity Verified
Spojené státy americké
Local time: 16:07
němčina -> angličtina
Yeay for the Swedes! Jul 31, 2014

In this day and age of transgender, transsexual, transsurgical, unisex, metrosex... it's about time! And it's not as awkward as s/he. What could we do in English?

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norsko
Local time: 01:07
Člen (2002)
angličtina -> norština
+ ...
I first encountered it in the 80's Jul 31, 2014

in a university textbook on sociolinguistics in Swedish. So it's taken about the average amount of time for it to become a dictionary term.
(though, compared with "selfie" - an enormity)

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
Velká Británie
Local time: 00:07
hebrejština -> angličtina
Singular "They" Aug 2, 2014

susan rose wrote:
What could we do in English?

Singular 'they' is perfectly natural English, but people have an irrational aversion to it.

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japonsko
Local time: 08:07
japonština -> angličtina
+ ...
The problem with natural Aug 2, 2014

Ty Kendall wrote:

susan rose wrote:
What could we do in English?

Singular 'they' is perfectly natural English, but people have an irrational aversion to it.

It's also perfectly natural to say something like, "Me and her went to the store," but I wouldn't necessarily want to write it in a translation.

As long as there is one person left out there who thinks that the singular use of "they" is grammatically incorrect, it seems dangerous to use it in your writing if you don't know exactly who your audience will be. Although I can't imagine a client bringing it up as an issue, unless they provided you with a style guide that forbade it. Oops.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderátor/moderátoři tohoto fóra
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Gender neutral 'hen' enters dictionary

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »