Bruce Capelle
Bruce Capelle  Identity Verified
Španělsko
Local time: 18:57
španělština -> francouzština
+ ...
Dec 15, 2003

Hi,

I'm quoting a translation project for a customer. The subject is rather technical and a glossary will need to be built up before the translation phase starts. The language pair is French into Spanish. As I have never sold a glossary, I haven't got a clue about the price I should charge for it. I guess I should apply a per-entry fee. Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks

Bruce

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Nizozemsko
Člen (2006)
angličtina -> afrikánština
+ ...
Per hour for term excerption, then cascading per entry Jan 12, 2004

Bruce Capelle:
As I have never sold a glossary, I haven't got a clue about the price I should charge for it. I guess I should apply a per-entry fee.

I have never quoted per glossary and therefore my answer here is guesswork. I assume that creating a glossary has two stages: 1) extract the terms, and 2) translate the terms.

Extracting the terms can take little time if you use an excerption program to extract a frequency word list from existing corpuses, or it can take a lot of time if your method is manually reading through much of the text. If this stage is done manually, charge per hour for it seperately.

For term translation I would suggest a cascading rate. I assume you have at least a non-technical CD dictionary in the language pair, possibly a technical CD dictionary, a non-technical paper dictionary, one or several technical paper dictionaries and several other reference works. For words that occur in any of the CD dictionaries, charge a cheap rate. For words in the paper dictionaries, charge a higher rate, and for words that require research in any of your reference materials, charge an even higher rate.

The idea is that the more time a translation takes, the more you should charge for it, but you should rather have a simplified system of calculating the cost instead of noting the time it took to translate every term.

[Edited at 2004-01-12 15:07]

Irene N
Irene N
Spojené státy americké
Local time: 11:57
angličtina -> ruština
+ ...
Glossary vs. dictionary Jan 12, 2004

Dear Bruce,

I'm not so sure we can talk about "selling a glossary" per se. I believe you'll be rather selling your time. Maybe I'm wrong.

First of all, there is no way to produce a project-specific glossary "before the translation part starts". How? By just reading the project pages first thru last, and then analyzing and translating it "theoretically", so to speak? How big is the project? Who will pay for all this time? Let's forget about pay for now, it is not feasibl
... See more
Dear Bruce,

I'm not so sure we can talk about "selling a glossary" per se. I believe you'll be rather selling your time. Maybe I'm wrong.

First of all, there is no way to produce a project-specific glossary "before the translation part starts". How? By just reading the project pages first thru last, and then analyzing and translating it "theoretically", so to speak? How big is the project? Who will pay for all this time? Let's forget about pay for now, it is not feasible, period. In my honest opinion, both tasks can be accomplished in parallel only. Moreover, if you are the would-be "editor-in-chief", you will be making tons of changes as you go. This glossary will be a working document throughout the project, and you will have to update and distribute it on a regular basis.

Even if you are expected to produce something to start with, like 15-30 basic terms, you will still have to read the entire project and to translate few pages. I bet you, there will be more changes later on anyway.

I would negotiate for a certain hourly rate (your editor's rate, for example), and keep record of the time spent on entering terms into glossaries every day/week, plus some time for overall polishing (formatting, e-mailing etc. included), plus the time to verify, accept and introduce terms used/suggested by your team of translators, if that will be the case. You know, like for cooking roast-beef - so many minutes per pound + 30 minutes for the whole piece:).

If the plan is to do the whole project alone and the project allows for creating some basic glossary satisfactory for the client (which sounds more like a "hidded test" to me) - then I would still charge an editor's hourly rate for the time spent on reading, research and actual creation.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2004-01-12 19:12]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Nizozemsko
Člen (2006)
angličtina -> afrikánština
+ ...
Precreating glossary possible with corpus tools Jan 13, 2004

IreneN:
Even if you are expected to produce something to start with, like 15-30 basic terms, you will still have to read the entire project and to translate few pages. I bet you, there will be more changes later on anyway.

I agree that it is rather difficult to anticipate in advance all the contexts in which a term might occur, but with corpus tools such as frequency counters and concordancers you can do just that.

First, a list of all the most used words and phrases are extracted from the text using a frequency counter. You might decide to list only words that occur more than 10 times in the text. Obviously you'll miss some important terms that were used only once or twice, but that's the risk. Then you decide which of those words are common words, non-technical words or freak occurances, and remove them from your list.

Next, take each word from the list and view it in the concordancer. The concordancer will probably display all occurances of the word (one occurance per line) in the sentence where it occurs. This allows you to see the meaning of the term fairly quickly because you have an instant overview of the term's use in all contexts. You can then decide whether it's possible to translate the term in all those occurances with a single word. If so, consult your dictionaries and add the term's translation to the glossary.

This glossary can then be used in CAT for quality control. This is the way I figure your method of glossary creation would go.

[Edited at 2004-01-13 08:55]

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Španělsko
němčina -> španělština
fewer dictionaries more money? Jan 13, 2004

That is a little strage for me, than if you have no dictionary you can get more money?

quote]Samuel Murray-Smit wrote:

For words that occur in any of the CD dictionaries, charge a cheap rate. For words in the paper dictionaries, charge a higher rate, and for words that require research in any of your reference materials, charge an even higher rate.[Edited at 2004-01-12 15:07][/quote]

If there is a big project you need appropi
... See more
That is a little strage for me, than if you have no dictionary you can get more money?

quote]Samuel Murray-Smit wrote:

For words that occur in any of the CD dictionaries, charge a cheap rate. For words in the paper dictionaries, charge a higher rate, and for words that require research in any of your reference materials, charge an even higher rate.[Edited at 2004-01-12 15:07][/quote]

If there is a big project you need appropiate software, with Extraterm (Trados), for example, you can start with this glossary. Quotation can be done in base of a Analysis of the complet project.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Glossary quote

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »