Does anyone have experiences with Windows Vista and Office 2007 in translation environment?
Autor vlákna: Tobi
Tobi
Tobi
Local time: 11:24
angličtina -> němčina
+ ...
Jan 12, 2007

Dear Colleagues,
Does anyone of you have experiences with Windows Vista, the Office 2007 suite, and the usual translation tools? I'd be interested if it is possible to continue working nearly seamless after upgrading or changing to a new computer with Windows Vista.
Thanks,
Tobi

Jarnail Gill
Jarnail Gill  Identity Verified
Indie
Local time: 14:54
angličtina -> paňdžábštína
+ ...
dont go for these new softwares at least for now Jan 12, 2007

Hi Tobi.. I am Microsoft Technet Flash newsletter subscriber and I had a good look at Vista and Office 2007 at Beta stage after that I read nearly 12 - 13 reviews of these products by expert panels and their verdict is that these softwares are resource hungry. To be able to use these softwares to their full potential, you may need to upgrade your PC also. And the bad (or good?) news is there are not any ground breaking features which might compel us to buy these. So you may continue working with... See more
Hi Tobi.. I am Microsoft Technet Flash newsletter subscriber and I had a good look at Vista and Office 2007 at Beta stage after that I read nearly 12 - 13 reviews of these products by expert panels and their verdict is that these softwares are resource hungry. To be able to use these softwares to their full potential, you may need to upgrade your PC also. And the bad (or good?) news is there are not any ground breaking features which might compel us to buy these. So you may continue working with Office XP and Windows XP for now.

Moreover, I hear that Wordfast version 5.0 is not compatible with Windows Vista, and the same may be the case with earlier versions of Trados. Also there are reports of bugs being found by security experts in these so called secure softwares. So my advice is: stay away till compatible versions of CAT tools are also available in the market and bugs are fixed and prices come down.
Collapse

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Polsko
Člen (2004)
němčina -> polština
+ ...
The well-known rule says Jan 12, 2007

don't buy Windows until the first Service Pack is released.

So wait at least until SP 1.

Regards

Andrzej

Tobi
Tobi
angličtina -> němčina
+ ...
AUTOR TÉMATU
I don't want to upgrade Jan 12, 2007

Thanks for your thoughts about this.

I don't want to upgrade. I have a perfectly running system with Windows XP. However, I think about buying a new notebook. The ressource hunger won't be a problem since I'll buy a notebook with sound hardware. I'd only change to Vista if I'ts installed on the new machine and works properly. I work with Trados 7.5 and I only need this software to work, but it should run perfectly. Maybe I can wait a little bit to give Vista a few months of field te
... See more

I don't want to upgrade. I have a perfectly running system with Windows XP. However, I think about buying a new notebook. The ressource hunger won't be a problem since I'll buy a notebook with sound hardware. I'd only change to Vista if I'ts installed on the new machine and works properly. I work with Trados 7.5 and I only need this software to work, but it should run perfectly. Maybe I can wait a little bit to give Vista a few months of field tests.

Regards,

Tobi
Collapse

Daniela Warman
Daniela Warman
Velká Británie
Local time: 10:24
angličtina -> francouzština
+ ...
Office 2007 - Great New Features Jan 12, 2007

I am not quite sure about the compatibility of Office 2007 with TRADOS and similar CAT tools but Office 2007 is definitely a much better option than Office 2003 and it is good to update as soon as possible.

Regarding the memory usage, I did actually manage to use Office 2007 on my 256mb RAM laptop but it was a bit slow. I upgraded by 512mb and it is now much better.

I cannot comment on Vista but it is supposedly a much more secure and functional Operating System.

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:24
němčina -> angličtina
+ ...
Thanks - I think I'll wait, too Feb 5, 2007

Tobi wrote:

I don't want to upgrade. I have a perfectly running system with Windows XP. However, I think about buying a new notebook. The ressource hunger won't be a problem since I'll buy a notebook with sound hardware. I'd only change to Vista if I'ts installed on the new machine and works properly. I work with Trados 7.5 and I only need this software to work, but it should run perfectly. Maybe I can wait a little bit to give Vista a few months of field tests.

Regards,

Tobi

I'm glad you posted. A new laptop will be in order here soon, but I see that they mostly have Vista installed now. I think I'll wait until Wordfast is compatible before switching.

Thanks.

Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Kanada
Local time: 02:24
angličtina -> nizozemština
+ ...
Vista Ultimate is multilingual Feb 8, 2007

Here's one thing to consider: there is a Windows Vista version - regrettably the more expensive one - that is multilingual. You can easily switch the system language without having to reboot. That would mean that someone in Europe would be better off to buy Vista Ultimate at about 200 dollars (update from XP) in Canada or the US and after installation simply switch to the local language.

Also nice if you ever have to do with software localisation.

Still I'll wait a lit
... See more
Here's one thing to consider: there is a Windows Vista version - regrettably the more expensive one - that is multilingual. You can easily switch the system language without having to reboot. That would mean that someone in Europe would be better off to buy Vista Ultimate at about 200 dollars (update from XP) in Canada or the US and after installation simply switch to the local language.

Also nice if you ever have to do with software localisation.

Still I'll wait a little to see how things work out in conjunction with Trados, etc.

Anyone brave enough to go ahead anyway, please let us know how things work out.
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
angličtina -> němčina
+ ...
good idea Feb 8, 2007

Andrzej Lejman wrote:

don't buy Windows until the first Service Pack is released.

So wait at least until SP 1.

Regards

Andrzej

I will wait till the sp1 comes. Windows OS are popular for bugs and catches the SPacks rectify them. As such running a windows XP SP2 as multilingual is also possible. I run one edition that is in english but the keyboard setup is german, and I can switch to other languages almost at will. Usually the best editions are released in english language, Microsoft being an american company going global forever the other language packs are usually introduced in the aftermath. Best Brandis

Marinus Vesseur
Kanada
+ ...
Multilingual XP versus Vista Feb 8, 2007

I don't think you can compare the limited multilingual functions of XP with the possibilities of Vista Ultimate, which allows you to switch the entire OS interface, including menus, helpfiles, etc. Not everyone may need this, but I for one am certainly looking forward to it.

Brandis wrote:
As such running a windows XP SP2 as multilingual is also possible. I run one edition that is in english but the keyboard setup is german, and I can switch to other languages almost at will.

Marinus Vesseur
Kanada
+ ...
Using your MS Office 2003 Proofing Tools in Office 2007 Feb 14, 2007

And here's another -hopefully- helpful tip if you're considering working with Microsoft Office 2007.
If you update from Office 2003, the Office 2007 installer will automatically accept any proofing tools (spellchecker, grammar checker) you had installed before. You can, however, NOT install the Office 2003 Proofing Tools directly onto Office 2007.
If you happen to have installed Office 2007 already, here's a trick how to make it wor
... See more
And here's another -hopefully- helpful tip if you're considering working with Microsoft Office 2007.
If you update from Office 2003, the Office 2007 installer will automatically accept any proofing tools (spellchecker, grammar checker) you had installed before. You can, however, NOT install the Office 2003 Proofing Tools directly onto Office 2007.
If you happen to have installed Office 2007 already, here's a trick how to make it work anyway:

http://bloggingabout.net/blogs/mglaser/archive/2006/10/23/Install-another-Office-2007-Proofing-Tools-_2800_e.g.-Dutch_2900_.aspx

Good luck!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderátor/moderátoři tohoto fóra
Natalie[Call to this topic]
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does anyone have experiences with Windows Vista and Office 2007 in translation environment?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »