Blue Board: Entries may be made once yearly. Avg LWA shown for past yr, overall
Autor vlákna: Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 12:30
ZAKLADATEL SERVERU
Jul 20, 2005

In response to member requests, several improvements have been made to the Blue Board. Specifically:

- Whereas it has been possible to make only a single entry per outsourcer, it is now possible to make one entry *per year* per outsourcer. (The requirement is that you have worked for the outsourcer *again* since your last entry.)

- In addition to average LWAs (likelihoods of working again) earned overall, average LWAs for the past 12 months will also be shown.
... See more
In response to member requests, several improvements have been made to the Blue Board. Specifically:

- Whereas it has been possible to make only a single entry per outsourcer, it is now possible to make one entry *per year* per outsourcer. (The requirement is that you have worked for the outsourcer *again* since your last entry.)

- In addition to average LWAs (likelihoods of working again) earned overall, average LWAs for the past 12 months will also be shown.

- All new entries, and changes to entries, will be subject to vetting.

In addition to the above, some design and speed improvements have been made.

http://www.proz.com/blueboard

Note: For those who missed the last newsletter, I'll reprint the announcement made there:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(2) 1500 Blue Board records (w/entries) more open to all
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The ProZ.com Blue Board--a member-built database of
translation outsourcers with "likelihood of working again"
feedback from ProZ.com members--is the primary risk
management tool for translators when considering work with
new clients.

This month, in the interest of extending the benefits of the
Blue Board to a wider group, and to encourage more
translators to contribute their own entries, we have

liberalized access to 1500 outsourcer records (vs. approx.
6000 records overall.) The records "opened" are those of
outsourcers that have earned high average LWAs ("likelihoods
of working again").

If you are a non-platinum member, your
access to the Blue Board, even to the "more open" records,
is still not complete. For example, you will not see
comments or full contact info. However, it is now easier
than ever for you to search the Blue Board, consult average
LWAs, add entries of your own, and otherwise exchange
information with other translators for mutual benefit.
We
encourage you to take this opportunity to familiarize
yourself with this powerful resource.

See: http://www.proz.com/blueboard

In relation to this, we would like to express our
appreciation and congratulations to the outsourcers that
have earned high LWAs. We have designed the Blue Board to
ensure that you are the primary beneficiaries of the
resource. Favoring your records in this promotion is a way
for us to recognize your professionalism before a broader
audience.

To our platinum members: the more liberal access being
granted to non-platinum members in this promotion is
intended to bring increased attention to the Blue Board,
in turn resulting in more entries and a richer resource
for you and the industry overall. We will continue working
to bring you more for your membership investment, and plan
to release a number of special Blue Board features just
for you in the coming months.

Thanks to platinum members for making these improvements possible.
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 18:30
angličtina -> němčina
+ ...
I think the period of one year is too long Jul 20, 2005

Hello Henry,

In case of troubles of any or all kinds with a particular outsourcer, one year is a good time, for the outsourcer to close the business and vanish. Whereas a few agencies (despite 30 days invoice clearance agreedment) go against their own promise and finally pay only in parts over a period of 3 months and sometimes 5 months as well, one year would certainly put them at an enormous advantage to escape from any payment. This is my opinion. According to your new regulatio
... See more
Hello Henry,

In case of troubles of any or all kinds with a particular outsourcer, one year is a good time, for the outsourcer to close the business and vanish. Whereas a few agencies (despite 30 days invoice clearance agreedment) go against their own promise and finally pay only in parts over a period of 3 months and sometimes 5 months as well, one year would certainly put them at an enormous advantage to escape from any payment. This is my opinion. According to your new regulation, one has to assume that there are a fixed number of agencies and or outsourcers vs. a pool of translators, this may function. But in reality, every year we have a few newer agencies coming up and closing the business equally rapidly. It will not be possible to save the translator in such an event. Best regards, Brandis
ps. I think 6 months is a better solution, for it is not too long as 12 months.

[Edited at 2005-07-20 16:38]
Collapse

Can Altinbay
Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
japonština -> angličtina
+ ...
In memoriam
Great solution to the issues that were brought up Jul 20, 2005

/it's obvious a lot of thought went into this. thanks as always for your fine work.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Německo
angličtina -> němčina
+ ...
You can still contact Jobs mods in case of non-payment Jul 20, 2005

Hi Brandis,
I think we're talking about two issues here.

In case of troubles of any or all kinds with a particular outsourcer, one year is a good time, for the outsourcer to close the business and vanish.

Anyone with the (criminal) intent to do so could do so within a shorter period.

Whereas a few agencies (despite 30 days invoice clearance agreedment) go against their own promise and finally pay only in parts over a period of 3 months and sometimes 5 months as well, one year would certainly put them at an enormous advantage to escape from any payment.

Not really.
First, you'll still be able to change your LWA and/or comment if there was no response. Secondly, if there was a response, and you're 'locked' into a good LWA with someone who turns out to be a non-payer, you can still contact a Jobs moderator.

Best regards,
Ralf

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
angličtina -> němčina
+ ...
Thank you Jul 20, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Brandis,
I think we're talking about two issues here.

In case of troubles of any or all kinds with a particular outsourcer, one year is a good time, for the outsourcer to close the business and vanish.

Anyone with the (criminal) intent to do so could do so within a shorter period.

Whereas a few agencies (despite 30 days invoice clearance agreedment) go against their own promise and finally pay only in parts over a period of 3 months and sometimes 5 months as well, one year would certainly put them at an enormous advantage to escape from any payment.

Not really.
First, you'll still be able to change your LWA and/or comment if there was no response. Secondly, if there was a response, and you're 'locked' into a good LWA with someone who turns out to be a non-payer, you can still contact a Jobs moderator.

Best regards,
Ralf
Upon a re-thought, it was more clear. Much as I respect the role of a moderator, I still feel 6 months represents a good span of time.Thank you for the explanation Ralf.
Best regards, Brandis

[Edited at 2005-07-20 18:06]

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
Francie
Člen (2003)
angličtina -> nizozemština
+ ...
I would like to make as many comments about an agency as I like Jul 20, 2005

Henry wrote:

- All new entries, and changes to entries, will be subject to vetting.

Thanks to platinum members for making these improvements possible.

Hi Henry,

I welcome most changes, especially the possibility for agencies to "get rid of their past". Vetting is a good idea too. The results will profit from that. I would prefer to be able to make as many comments about an agency as I like, though.

Agencies can treat you well during your first two jobs and become ugly afterwards. If I'm allowed just one report per year I'll keep my powder dry, which wouldn't benefit the freelance community and the Bleu Board system as a whole.

Kind regards,
Gerard

Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Nizozemsko
angličtina -> nizozemština
+ ...
No entries after first job then... Jul 21, 2005

I never make a BB entry if I've only worked for an agency once, there should be a more established relationship before you can really rate the agency - except when they already start out by not paying you of course!! Furthermore, if you can change your entry, there should be no problem. If it is locked you can contact a moderator. If it says an agency has '6' entries, then I'd like to think it's 6 different translators, and I must confess I've never seen an outsourcer I checked that has more tha... See more
I never make a BB entry if I've only worked for an agency once, there should be a more established relationship before you can really rate the agency - except when they already start out by not paying you of course!! Furthermore, if you can change your entry, there should be no problem. If it is locked you can contact a moderator. If it says an agency has '6' entries, then I'd like to think it's 6 different translators, and I must confess I've never seen an outsourcer I checked that has more than one entry per translator. It had not even occurred to me that you could add several entries....Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
ZAKLADATEL SERVERU
AUTOR TÉMATU
That is what has changed, Anjo Jul 21, 2005

Anjo Sterringa wrote:

It had not even occurred to me that you could add several entries....

That is what is new. The limit of one entry per outsourcer per year (and that only on the basis of another job done) is intended to protect the situation I understand you prefer, i.e. the current case in which it is difficult for a single translator to skew an average.

Christine Lam
Christine Lam  Identity Verified
němčina -> angličtina
+ ...
great improvements, thank you! Aug 1, 2005

thanks, Henry, I think your improvements take everyone's ideas into consideration. Particularly the comparison between the overall score of blue board entries and the score of the current year is excellent and thank you for bringing back the option for deleting / editing previous entries!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderátor/moderátoři tohoto fóra
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blue Board: Entries may be made once yearly. Avg LWA shown for past yr, overall

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »