How to add a Trados TM to Helium?
Autor vlákna: Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstán
angličtina -> ruština
+ ...
Jul 18, 2012

Hi, I'm new to Helium (6.1.6) and can't seem to find a way to add a Trados TM to it. I know it must be possible. Any help?

Update: I have SDL Trados 2007 installed.

[Edited at 2012-07-18 08:46 GMT]

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstán
angličtina -> ruština
+ ...
AUTOR TÉMATU
Partial solution: TM = "Glossary" in Helium parlance Jul 18, 2012

I found the answer (partial, as it happened to be): TMs are called "glossaries" in Helium, so it's Tools > Options > Lookup > Glossaries > Add.

However, I could not add a TM that way - Helium complained that it needs MS LocStudio. Then I proceeded to install LocStudio 6.1, but it wouldn't install because of .NET 2.0 was allegedly not installed. I tried to install .NET 2.0 from Microsoft own website, but it refused to install telling me that it's not supported on Vista (yes, I do hav
... See more
I found the answer (partial, as it happened to be): TMs are called "glossaries" in Helium, so it's Tools > Options > Lookup > Glossaries > Add.

However, I could not add a TM that way - Helium complained that it needs MS LocStudio. Then I proceeded to install LocStudio 6.1, but it wouldn't install because of .NET 2.0 was allegedly not installed. I tried to install .NET 2.0 from Microsoft own website, but it refused to install telling me that it's not supported on Vista (yes, I do have Vista and like it).

I did a little research on ProZ and found out that I actually need LocStudio 4.8. It wouldn't install either because of the same .NET problem. A registry hack suggested by one Pro user allowed me to install LocStudio, but then Helium would crash on loading a project. There was another suggestion - to uninstall all .NET versions and reinstall them starting from 1.1, but I was afraid to do that because I have critical applications that depend on .NET 3.5 and 4.0.

In the end, I had to install Windows XP, Trados 2007, LocStudio 4.8 and Helium in a Virtualbox VM. Only after that I could select a Trados TM to use in Helium.
Collapse

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstán
angličtina -> ruština
+ ...
AUTOR TÉMATU
Update: solved by uninstalling .NET 4.0 then installing LocStudio Jul 27, 2012

I decided to try uninstalling .NET 4.0. After that I could install LocStudio 4.8 and Helium 6.1 and then successfully add a Trados TM in Helium. Finally I re-installed .NET 4.0 using a standalone installer, and now everything seems to work.

Problem solved.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to add a Trados TM to Helium?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »