Thread poster: Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 22:09
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Rates system not yet available, in testing May 8, 2010

Hi Katalin,

The new rates system is not yet available, sorry if that wasn't clear. It is currently being beta tested and adjusted based on feedback. Specifying rates in units other than per word is one of the options (by character, line, or page, for example), and you will be able to differentiate between source and target, yes. An announcement will be made when it is released.

Best regards,

Jared

TFaulkner
TFaulkner  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:09
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thank you! May 8, 2010

Jared, I would like to thank you for all the time and effort you've put into this - we truly appreciate it! Great job!

All the best,

TFaulkner

Christine Laugier
Christine Laugier  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:09
Italian to French
+ ...
Thank you so much for your great work !! May 8, 2010

Nice to see the work done by Proz staff to support all Proz members !! Thank you again and keep going !

gangels (X)
gangels (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:09
German to English
+ ...
55 or 60 words a line??? May 8, 2010

Williamson wrote:

This goes in the right direction. Seen less 0.01 p.w. offers.
As per unit count:
The British count per 1000 words.
The Italians per cartella.
The Belgians per line of 60 words (spaces included).
The Germans per line of 55 words.
Yes, what about Chinese and Japanese characters?
The rest of the world : in words.

That must be awfully long lines. I trust you are thinking of letters.

Michaela Müller
Michaela Müller
Germany
English to German
+ ...
characters May 9, 2010

gangels wrote:

Williamson wrote:

That must be awfully long lines. I trust you are thinking of letters.

He is certainly thinking of characters (spaces and numbers included), not only letters - at least if it's about German. But of course your line doesn't have to contain 55 characters, you can also determine a line as having only 50 characters or sth. else - that's the freedom of being self-employed (although it is called a "standard line", there is no general standard that's valid for all translators). 55 characters per line is just sth. that most people here use to be able to compare rates (for literary translations it is supposed to be 60 characters per line). So it wouldn't make sense to insert generalized content like that since some translators who charge differently would be excluded. It's maybe better to just have "xx characters per line/line with xx characters" as unit and then give the opportunity to insert the number of characters.

Serge AWONO
Serge AWONO  Identity Verified
Cameroon
Local time: 02:09
English to French
+ ...
Well done May 9, 2010

Good Job Jared, I really appreciate

psicutrinius
psicutrinius  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
This will sound as "déjà vu"... May 9, 2010

Because there are quite a lot of congratulations messages.

But I will add mine. Jared truly deserves it

Well done, congratulations, Jared et. al...

Zareh Darakjian Ph.D.
Zareh Darakjian Ph.D.  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:09
German to English
+ ...
Thank you! May 10, 2010

Jared wrote:

Dear Members,

This is the fourth update posted on some of the progress being made in the changes to the ProZ.com job posting system. Previous updates are listed under the "Updates" section at http://www.proz.com/about/ipetition/changes

What's new this week:

• Work was started, and continues, on the improvements to profile rates and information mentioned in last week's update. The new system allows rates to be entered by service, language pair and field. It also includes options to enter minimum rates, surcharges and discounts. It will be possible to have separate rate lists to target those registered at ProZ.com as translation companies or end clients (if it is chosen to display them in the profile).

• A call for collaboration on one of the planned changes was made, specifially point 9: "Efforts will be made to stimulate industry-wide cooperation to support the livelihood of professional translators". This announcement is at http://www.proz.com/topic/169814 and is also on the job changes page.

Details on the changes to the job posting system, staff reaction, and member involvement and input can all be seen on the changes to be made to the ProZ.com job posting system pages.

If you have not done so already, you may subscribe to the above pages to receive email notification when updates are made or new information is added.

Thanks as always to site members for the continued support and feedback, which is what makes efforts like these possible.

Regards,

Jared
    Member services
    ProZ.com

•  
    Mónica Algazi
    Mónica Algazi  Identity Verified
    Uruguay
    Local time: 22:09
    Member (2005)
    English to Spanish
    Great job May 11, 2010

As usual, Proz's staff responds and takes action in the right direction.
    Thank you - Gracias

Ronald van der Linden (X)
    Ronald van der Linden (X)  Identity Verified
    Mexico
    Local time: 19:09
    German to Dutch
    + ...
    fee per unit count converter May 12, 2010

Williamson wrote:
    As per unit count:
    The British count per 1000 words.
    The Italians per cartella.
    Yes, what about Chinese and Japanese characters?
    The rest of the world : in words.

If the job posters and translators continue to use their own unit count systems, to be honest a bit out dated in my humble experience, as I usually have clients working with unit counts per source word (Germany, UK, Italy, Belgium and of course the Netherlands)...

But in the case one does require it, how about an automated fee per unit count converter in job posting and quote (the same way currency is being converted to my my preferred currency) would be an idea? (I am aware it already exists in the tools section.)

Best,
    Ronald

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Update on changes made to the ProZ.com job posting system, 07 May, 2010

Wordfast Pro
    Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
    TM-Town
    Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »