Kean Hall
Kean Hall
Italy
Local time: 21:20
Member (2018)
Italian to English
Sep 28, 2022

Hello,
I have a long list of product awards to translate for an Italian grappa producer. The context is a B2B product brochure aimed at supermarket chains.

One example:

Guida Bibenda Vini e Ristoranti d’Italia.
5 grappoli d'oro

The first line is the title to a guide published by a publishers called Bibenda, so I think clearly this should be translated:
Bibenda Guide to the Wines and Restaurants of Italy

The second line is
... See more
Hello,
I have a long list of product awards to translate for an Italian grappa producer. The context is a B2B product brochure aimed at supermarket chains.

One example:

Guida Bibenda Vini e Ristoranti d’Italia.
5 grappoli d'oro

The first line is the title to a guide published by a publishers called Bibenda, so I think clearly this should be translated:
Bibenda Guide to the Wines and Restaurants of Italy

The second line is the award given by Bibenda:
"5 grappoli d'oro"

So the name of the award is "grappolo d'oro", which translates to "golden grape cluster".
I think "5 golden grape cluster awards" sounds horribly clunky
...and "5 grappoli d'oro (golden grape cluster) awards" is too long...and even clunkier.

...so think "Five Grappolo d'oro awards" is probably the best way of dealing with it, with the inevitable loss of the meaning of "Grappolo d'oro".

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Collapse

Emanuele Vacca
Emanuele Vacca  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2020)
English to Italian
Agree Sep 28, 2022

Hi Kean! Although I translate in the inverse language combination, I agree with you. If you were translating a more discursive text, you could well provide an explanation so that the meaning of "grappoli d'oro" wouldn't get lost; however, in this context, any other solution would be too long and clunky, while in my opinion it's important not to omit the name of the award in the source language so that the client can look it up himself/herself.

Kean Hall
Kean Hall
Italy
Member (2018)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you... Sep 28, 2022

Emanuele.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Brevity Sep 29, 2022

I'd probably just use "golden grape" for grappoli d'oro.
A search for "golden grape awards" gets several hits with examples of this usage.

Kevin Fulton

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Sep 29, 2022

I thought it was a given that we don't translate names?
OK if the book exists in English, the English name could replace the Italian. But if it exists only in Italian, it should stay in Italian, and maybe just put a translation in brackets if it's important for the English-speaking reader to know what the book is about.
Then the name of the award should also remain in Italian, because it's a name, it's probably a trademark that's been registered in Italy.
In the link below,
... See more
I thought it was a given that we don't translate names?
OK if the book exists in English, the English name could replace the Italian. But if it exists only in Italian, it should stay in Italian, and maybe just put a translation in brackets if it's important for the English-speaking reader to know what the book is about.
Then the name of the award should also remain in Italian, because it's a name, it's probably a trademark that's been registered in Italy.
In the link below, the name of the festival has been translated, I expect because people just do translate it all the time, but the names of awards remain in French:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannes_Film_Festival
and I do believe I have heard English-speaking actors talking about winning the "Palme d'or". Of course they pronounce it "parm door" but they don't say "golden palm".
But on the English version of the official festival website, the name of the festival also remains in French, presumably it's a registered trademark.
https://www.festival-cannes.com/en/festival/

[Edited at 2022-09-29 16:24 GMT]
Collapse

philgoddard

Kean Hall
Kean Hall
Italy
Member (2018)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Neilmac and Kay... Sep 29, 2022

...thanks to you both for your replies. In the end I sent the translation as I stated in my original post. Yes, the Palme d'or and the Piolet d'or (I'm a mountaineer) both came to mind. I translated the guidebook title because I wanted to make it easy for readers to understand where the award came from. But I do take your point Kay.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice on translating awards and sources of awards

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »