Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:45
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 2, 2022

Does anyone use some sort of systematic shorthand list, e.g. you type adm and it expands to administration and such?

By "systematic" I mean having hundreds or even thousands of entries and using it regularly and almost unconsciously.

I can't be the only one to have figured this out, yet I don't remember many threads on the subjects.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
In what program? Apr 2, 2022

I get something like this when typing in gmail, it offers to finish my word and even sentence and it’s pretty accurate. It seems integrated in gmail.

Not sure about similar add-ons in other programs.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Daniel Frisano
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
memoQ Apr 2, 2022

Lingua 5B wrote:

In what program?

In memoQ and that-other-notorious-CAT-tool, both of which offer you the option to upload your own autocorrect table. (While Wordfast Pro doesn't, unless it does and I am missing it).

It can be done in Word too, although the factory version only allows to input entries one by one. I think you need Kutools to upload from file.

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
In Trados. Apr 2, 2022

I haven’t seen in Trados, only correction options when misspelled are available, but accessed manually.

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
A link. Apr 2, 2022

Is this helpful: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enable-text-suggestions-in-windows-0bf313ca-c992-4173-aa5f-8341d3953498#:~:text=In%20the%20Windows%20settings,%20select,typing%20on%20a%20physical%20keyboard.

Daniel Frisano
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
  Apr 2, 2022

The purpose is not seeking help, and it's not about autosuggest.

It's about having your own self-developed, well-established system. Like this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rljQrATi7_5RxsbgNf7mz3fMAddxPKiJQPRo_cVxE-4/edit?usp=sharing

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Oh I see. Apr 2, 2022

OK I get it now. Haven’t done it before, it seems very time-consuming without a clear pay off.

Daniel Frisano
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
  Apr 2, 2022

The payoff is that you cut your typing to 30% or so. Several hours a day enjoying life rather than typing, that is.

My question is if anybody has such a system in place.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:45
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Yes Apr 2, 2022

Daniel Frisano wrote:

When I had really bad RSI in late 2015 / early 2016, I used Phrase Express a lot for this kind of thing. I adopted the "first three letters of the word and final letter of the word" approach, as follows:

parr → particular ('par' + 'r')
undh → underneath ('und' + 'h')
posy → possibility ('pos' + 'y')

This works well for longer words and terms and gives you a predictable and structured system with relatively few exceptions. You might type "chas" and find that it expands to "characteristics", because you set up such an expansion a few weeks previously. When dealing with clients by email I also use things like 'tyftc', which expands to "thank you for that clarification".

Text expansion did help my RSI a good deal, but in itself it was not enough. I type much less these days due to my use of voice recognition software, but I still have dozens of such snippets defined and waiting. I also use Phrase Express to launch files, run macros, open websites and so on. I find it invaluable.

In Phrase Express, I define an expansion by selecting the text I want it to produce and pressing Ctrl + Alt + n. This pops up a dialog box with the selected text already inserted, and into which the short form of the text can be entered. Click Ok and you're done. It's that quick and simple.

On MacOS there is an application called Keyboard Maestro that provides similar functionality. On Windows you could also use Autohotkey to achieve similar results. I use that rather than Phrase Express to launch (for example) Google to search for the selected text.

Dan

Sebastian Witte
texjax DDS PhD

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:45
English to Russian
Yes, indeed Apr 2, 2022

I use all autosuggest engines available in CAT tools (Autotext, Autocorrect, Autosuggest in the fSDL product, Autocorrect and Muses in memoQ, etc.) plus this AHK script (the uppermost one, right above michaelbeijer's comment) that allows me to add long words into a list and type them by typing first three or four letters.2022-04-03_004822 The script works anywhere. You select a long word or even a phrase and press Win+H. Then you put a short form on the left (don't forget to keep double colon in place) and leave the right side as is.

In addition to the Win+h shortcut, you can open the script and add words manually following the structure:2022-04-03_011843

[Edited at 2022-04-03 11:28 GMT]

Elena Feriani

Metin Demirel
Metin Demirel  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 23:45
Member (2018)
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
Just yesterday... Apr 2, 2022

... I came to know that on MacOS I could arrange shortcuts for longer words under System Preferences (with no extra app). Actually I was looking for an easier way to type the Italian letters with accents on a Turkish keyboard layout so that I wouldn't have to switch layouts in midstream, and I found out that there's an easier way to do that. Then I also added words that I often use. For example, bng for "Buona giornata", bnw for "Buon weekend", grm "Grazie mille", tlg for "Ti allego", cnf for "c... See more
... I came to know that on MacOS I could arrange shortcuts for longer words under System Preferences (with no extra app). Actually I was looking for an easier way to type the Italian letters with accents on a Turkish keyboard layout so that I wouldn't have to switch layouts in midstream, and I found out that there's an easier way to do that. Then I also added words that I often use. For example, bng for "Buona giornata", bnw for "Buon weekend", grm "Grazie mille", tlg for "Ti allego", cnf for "confermo", dsp for "disponibilità" etc. But it works only on the native Mac apps. It doesn't work on MS Office, for instance. Well, it's something.Collapse

Elena Feriani

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
I have such a system Apr 3, 2022

Daniel Frisano wrote:

The payoff is that you cut your typing to 30% or so. Several hours a day enjoying life rather than typing, that is.

It's Typing Assistant, no shortcuts, though, it stores your keystrokes and offers the word you're typing plus more options. Unfortunately, there's nothing similar for the Mac.

[Edited at 2022-04-03 12:41 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
PhraseExpress for Mac Apr 3, 2022

Wolfgang wrote:

Daniel Frisano wrote:

It's Typing Assistant, no shortcuts, though, it stores your keystrokes and offers the word you're typing plus more options. Unfortunately, there's nothing similar for the Mac.

l

PhraseExpress for Mac offers a learning assistant.

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Yes, but .... Apr 4, 2022

German-Dutch Engineering Translation wrote:

Wolfgang wrote:

Daniel Frisano wrote:

l

PhraseExpress for Mac offers a learning assistant.

you still have to create and memorize text shortcuts which you don't have to do with Typing Assistant, you write, TA auto-completes what you type. You only have to confirm with a keyboard shortcut. But I don't know PhraseExpress so maybe thanks to the learning assistant it does just the same.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
CarFinish Apr 4, 2022

Wolfgang wrote:

But I don't know PhraseExpress so maybe thanks to the learning assistant it does just the same.

Untitled

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Shorthand typing

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »