Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Is writing "hard- or software" (shortening the word "hardware") typical in English?
Thread poster: Danielle Crouch
Danielle Crouch
Danielle Crouch  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:28
Member (2019)
German to English
+ ...
Jun 25, 2021

I am currently working on a translation of IT security documentation from German to English, and the client has provided existing translations of previous versions as reference material. During alignment I came across the phrase "Manipulation von Hard- oder Software," which was translated as "Manipulation of hard- or software."

Is "hard-" (shortening the word "hardware") in this context typical or even allowed in English? It's common in German, but German also uses hyphens di
... See more
I am currently working on a translation of IT security documentation from German to English, and the client has provided existing translations of previous versions as reference material. During alignment I came across the phrase "Manipulation von Hard- oder Software," which was translated as "Manipulation of hard- or software."

Is "hard-" (shortening the word "hardware") in this context typical or even allowed in English? It's common in German, but German also uses hyphens differently than English. Whenever I have come across this German wording in a translation project before, I have always translated it as "hardware or software" because "hard-" seems wrong to me. But is this just a personal preference or does English actually require the word "hardware" to be written out in full? (A quick internet search of "hard- or software" brought up almost exclusively German websites, or otherwise content written by non-native English speakers, which strengthens my suspicion that it's not common/correct in English.)

Thanks in advance for your input!
Collapse

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:28
Dutch to English
+ ...
Your suspicion is correct Jun 25, 2021

I've never seen "hard- or software" in an English text, always "hardware or software". I would always correct that if I saw it.

Tom in London
Grace Anderson
Endre Both
Tina Vonhof (X)
Michele Fauble
Edward Potter
Christine Andersen

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Danielle Jun 25, 2021

According to my Google search, in the UK, the long word is much more common than the short one: 7,920 vs 257,000

See more
According to my Google search, in the UK, the long word is much more common than the short one: 7,920 vs 257,000

https://www.google.com/search?q="hard-%20or%20software"%20site:uk&client=firefox-b-d&sxsrf=ALeKk00xbT9b4NSN-7ZLP042lro3U1WvZg:1624604767241&ei=X4DVYMCTDsuQ8gKd0YXIBA&oq="hard-%20or%20software"%20site:uk&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAM6BwgAEEcQsANKBAhBGABQhLEKWIy-CmCIxQpoAXACeACAAcwCiAGaBpIBBTUuMy0xmAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpesgBCMABAQ&sclient=gws-wiz&ved=0ahUKEwiAv7SwnLLxAhVLiFwKHZ1oAUkQ4dUDCBA&uact=5

https://www.google.com/search?q="hardware%20or%20software"%20site:uk&client=firefox-b-d&sxsrf=ALeKk02VIYvIDSSbdjFDFvQBhCEGOtjIvQ:1624604758278&ei=VoDVYN3GELWy8gLwzYjACQ&oq="hardware%20or%20software"%20site:uk&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EANKBAhBGAFQ5SJY8zJg2jxoAXAAeACAAa4CiAGHCJIBBzAuNC4xLjGYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6wAEB&sclient=gws-wiz&ved=0ahUKEwjdyZGsnLLxAhU1mVwKHfAmApgQ4dUDCBA&uact=5
Collapse

Edward Potter

Danielle Crouch
Germany
Member (2019)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jun 25, 2021

Thanks so much for the quick responses and for confirming my gut feeling. I was fairly sure that "hardware" had to be written out, but after having seen the shortened form so many times in German and in English translations from German I was starting to doubt myself (even as a native English speaker)!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
The most common error..... Jun 25, 2021

... by non-natives is to say "a" software.

Emanuele Vacca
Anton Konashenok
Edward Potter

Danielle Crouch
Germany
Member (2019)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Definitely seen that before! Jun 25, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

The most common error..... by non-natives is to say "a" software.

Yup, I've definitely corrected that more than once!

Tom in London
Edward Potter

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
No Jun 25, 2021

Hard & soft are Eastern Euro geek slang (Russian, Ukrainian, etc.)

Although really it's mostly just soft. They tend to use other slang terms for hardware because hard is also the old slang term for hard disk drive.

[Edited at 2021-06-25 09:53 GMT]

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:28
English to Arabic
+ ...
..... Jun 25, 2021

22/08/2012
"Yes, you can use that construction. It's known as a 'suspended hyphen'"
https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/79159/can-i-say-this-in-english-hard-and-software

Suspended hyphens, also called suspensive hyphens, replace repeated words, prefixes, or suffixes in two or more compound modifiers. ... Suspend
... See more
22/08/2012
https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/79159/can-i-say-this-in-english-hard-and-software

Suspended hyphens, also called suspensive hyphens, replace repeated words, prefixes, or suffixes in two or more compound modifiers. ... Suspended hyphens are easy to identify because they are followed by a space (or prefaced by a space), which makes them look like they are “suspended” in air.
https://erinwrightwriting.com/suspended-hyphens/

That said, I side with the 2-hyphens construction, as opposed to the single-hyphen one, as the former clears any confusion, especially to less advanced readers.

Hence: hard- or soft-ware
Collapse

Kaspars Melkis
neilmac

Sarah Lewis-Morgan
Sarah Lewis-Morgan  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
"Hardware" doesn't have a hyphen. Jun 25, 2021

Sadek_A wrote:

22/08/2012

Suspended hyphens, also called suspensive hyphens, replace repeated words, prefixes, or suffixes in two or more compound modifiers. ... Suspended hyphens are easy to identify because they are followed by a space (or prefaced by a space), which makes them look like they are “suspended” in air.
https://erinwrightwriting.com/suspended-hyphens/

That said, I side with the 2-hyphens construction, as opposed to the single-hyphen one, as the former clears any confusion, especially to less advanced readers.

Hence: hard- or soft-ware

The words are "hardware" and "software", both unhyphenated and, as confirmed above, they would both be written out in full rather than with any hyphen.

Noel McCourt
Rachel Waddington
Arabic & More
philgoddard

Sadek_A
English to Arabic
+ ...
..... Jun 25, 2021

Sarah Lewis-Morgan wrote:
The words are "hardware" and "software", both unhyphenated and, as confirmed above, they would both be written out in full rather than with any hyphen.

Says who? Per what authority, exactly?

Both 'hardware' & 'software' are compound modifiers comprising 2 words. Compound modifiers are hyphenated as per the whims of the author, who holds the only authority on this for all intents and purposes of their own text.

I would like to see some official rules supporting your above claims.

Kaspars Melkis

Danielle Crouch
Germany
Member (2019)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dictionaries are good authorities here Jun 25, 2021

Sadek_A wrote:

Sarah Lewis-Morgan wrote:

Says who? Per what authority, exactly?

I would defer to the spellings in reputable dictionaries (I use primarily Merriam-Webster and Collins). The current online versions of both Merriam-Webster and Collins list "hardware" and "software" as the accepted spellings with no spelling variations listed. And even aside from this fairly compelling evidence, I also advocate for using the most commonly accepted form of a word whenever possible, even if spelling variations are accepted. I can't remember ever seeing "hard-ware" or "soft-ware" in serious usage, so even if the dictionaries were not unanimous in this case, I would still lean towards the non-hyphenated versions.

Rachel Waddington
Noel McCourt
Arabic & More
Endre Both
Tina Vonhof (X)
Daryo

Sadek_A
English to Arabic
+ ...
Danielle Jun 25, 2021

I'd like to start with an announcement:

For once around here I would like whoever starts an exchange with me to see it through to the end, all on their own without help from others, like I'm all on my own without help from others. Thank you.

That said:

1. Both words are modern coinage (as opposed to established), derived from a non-linguistic domain, i.e. IT.
2. Dictionaries, however repute, are no authority, let alone an official one, but rather an a
... See more
I'd like to start with an announcement:

For once around here I would like whoever starts an exchange with me to see it through to the end, all on their own without help from others, like I'm all on my own without help from others. Thank you.

That said:

1. Both words are modern coinage (as opposed to established), derived from a non-linguistic domain, i.e. IT.
2. Dictionaries, however repute, are no authority, let alone an official one, but rather an aid, an inofficial one too, developed by humans who are just as impressionable as everyone else. That's why content of the same dictionary keeps evolving by every year passing.
3. Dictionaries are listing term-by-term. They don't deal with context, repetitions, delivery, effect, etc.
4. Your use of "fairly compelling evidence", coupled with Sarah's earlier and FINAL "The words are "hardware" and "software", both unhyphenated", are giving a whiff of self-appointed authority & standard. Am I getting you correctly on this one?
5. As opposed to your one-and-only approach, my school of thought on this particular issue is:

- hardware & software. correct
- hard- & soft-ware. correct. Meant for mere eloquence showcasing, and takes almost just as much time or more for typing as the instance above.
- hard&soft -ware. correct. Again, for mere eloquence showcasing.
- hard- & software. correct, but ambiguous, and in some contexts can deliver a whole lot of confusion.
- hard & software. correct, but way more ambiguous. Hence, possibly way more confusion.

6. We are NOT discussing a formula that can possibly turn poisonous if mixed wrong. We are talking words here, and the basic objective of words is to convey meaning. All above instances convey the meaning. You're free to choose for yourself, but not for others.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
WRONG Jun 25, 2021

hard- & soft-ware

WRONG.

Matthias Brombach
Daryo

Sadek_A
English to Arabic
+ ...
okay Jun 25, 2021

Tom in London wrote:
hard- & soft-ware
WRONG.

Per what rule? By whose authority? In what organization?

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
hyphens Jun 25, 2021

Sadek_A wrote:

- hardware & software. correct
- hard- & soft-ware. correct. Meant for mere eloquence showcasing, and takes almost just as much time or more for typing as the instance above.
- hard&soft -ware. correct. Again, for mere eloquence showcasing.
- hard- & software. correct, but ambiguous, and in some contexts can deliver a whole lot of confusion.
- hard & software. correct, but way more ambiguous. Hence, possibly way more confusion.

- hardware & software: correct
- all the other variants on the list: incorrect

Helena Chavarria
Joe France
philgoddard

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is writing "hard- or software" (shortening the word "hardware") typical in English?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »