A témához tartozó oldalak:   < [1 2]
How can I increase my translation speed?
Téma indítója: Amir Arzani
Tom in London
Tom in London
Egyesült Királyság
Local time: 04:20
Tag (2008 óta)
olasz - angol
Absolutely no music Apr 27, 2018

I can't agree about the music.

As a musician, I always listen carefully to music - any kind of music - and stop everything else.

If the music is bad, I turn it off.

On the other hand I love silence, or just the quiet noises that come through my window, e.g. the rain dripping off the gutter.

Amir Arzani
Amir Arzani
Irán
Local time: 06:50
angol - perzsa (fárszi)
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Thank you all Apr 27, 2018

for such a wide range of insights and opinions, honestly wasn’t expecting this many helpful responses.
@Jorge.Payan Unfortunately the Persian language is lacking in terms of adequate OCR and Speech to Text technology.

@Rossana.Triaca I’ll be sure to take your suggestions into consideration for my next project. It’s almost like a comprehensive guide. Learning to skip segments which I can’t deal with at that moment will prove to be challenging.

@Jan.Truper
... See more
for such a wide range of insights and opinions, honestly wasn’t expecting this many helpful responses.
@Jorge.Payan Unfortunately the Persian language is lacking in terms of adequate OCR and Speech to Text technology.

@Rossana.Triaca I’ll be sure to take your suggestions into consideration for my next project. It’s almost like a comprehensive guide. Learning to skip segments which I can’t deal with at that moment will prove to be challenging.

@Jan.Truper I will try and improve my touch typing skill but since I’ve played PC games for a long time I’m already familiarized with the location of each key without having to look at them but sadly not in my own language (positions differ). Your suggestion regarding buying a second monitor seems like it would help me tremendously will definitely try and save up for that because I noticed today that I spend a lot of time either alt+tabbing or click on the taskbar.

@Samuel.Murray The environment I work in is kind of loud so I tend to drown out the noise with music (lofi hiphop, random Spotify playlists of songs in languages I can’t understand, etc.). Thank you for your music suggestions I’ll check them out.

@Chris.S I definitely plan to branch out into more marketing and automotive translations but seeing as I am kind of new to the job market for my language pair I haven’t been able to make connections in order to diligently follow certain fields. I will definitely take the first draft suggestion into practice next time since by now I’ve followed the simple segment by segment format and leaving out anything.

@Heinrich.Pesch Good advice, I had encountered some scenarios where I had to replace an equivalent for a better one.

@Susan.Welsh I trust in my colleagues but I do feel like they are using a bit of hyperbole or at least sacrificing a part of their life in order to reach these numbers. Also thank you for pointing out the error I had made in my bio, rest assured I will refrain from using the dreaded sentence in business dealings

@Tom.in.London Your position regarding CAT tools is interesting, I personally had no idea regarding their existence until I went to uni for my BA and since then I’ve had a blast using them. In regard to the exorbitant price of CAT tools I will have to admit that since international copyright laws don’t apply in Iran (and the ridiculous exchange rates for Euro and Dollar) most translators here use pirated versions of the CAT tools.
I feel as if clients have become a bit too demanding of translators to perform the task as soon as possible with a high quality which in my mind don’t really go hand in hand. Also since you don’t enjoy working while listening to music I think noisli.com might be right up your alley.

@Kay.Denney Most of the time I am working outside my professional comfort zone but I also assume that as you said it may be because I still haven’t developed a comfort zone due to not having enough experience. I usually just go segment by segment until the whole job is finished and I’ll do a final review on it but your procedure seems far more efficient to me.

@Janet.Ross.Snyder Wonderful suggestions. I do need to work a bit more on my Farsi typing since I am not as fast in it as I am in English. I will need to stop my access to distractors, for those I’m planning on using a plugin to blacklist the websites I frequent until I am done with my share for the day. Since I attend university in the morning I usually translate in the afternoon which I have to admit is a bit tiring.
Collapse

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Olaszország
Local time: 05:20
Tag (2008 óta)
angol - olasz
+ ...
Coding Apr 27, 2018

You can try codes/abbreviations. It works as follows:

1. Identify all recurring technical terms in the source document
2. Assign to each term an abbreviation, or code, and a proper translation
3. Replace each term with its code
4. Translate as usual, leaving all codes untouched
5. Replace each code with its translation

Drawbacks: 1) Works efficiently only for technical/scientific stuff. 2) Very long learning curve.

Benefits: 1) Doubl
... See more
You can try codes/abbreviations. It works as follows:

1. Identify all recurring technical terms in the source document
2. Assign to each term an abbreviation, or code, and a proper translation
3. Replace each term with its code
4. Translate as usual, leaving all codes untouched
5. Replace each code with its translation

Drawbacks: 1) Works efficiently only for technical/scientific stuff. 2) Very long learning curve.

Benefits: 1) Double your speed. 2) Improve accuracy and consistency. 3) Reduce mental effort (you don't need to identify the meaning of a term and its translation, you just copy the code): you can translate AND sing along with the music in the background at the same time!

[Edited at 2018-04-27 23:13 GMT]
Collapse

A témához tartozó oldalak:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I increase my translation speed?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »