Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez
Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 19, 2021

Dear colleagues,

I am translating a big project and the Trados 2021 reports when analying files are driving me crazy.

Trados 2021 is the only version of Trados I have ever used. I have a lot of locked segments in the files (the word count says that the project consists of almost 35,000 words). I am trying to know how many words in the unlocked source segments there are.

If I analyze the files of the project and select the option "exclude counting words in l
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I am translating a big project and the Trados 2021 reports when analying files are driving me crazy.

Trados 2021 is the only version of Trados I have ever used. I have a lot of locked segments in the files (the word count says that the project consists of almost 35,000 words). I am trying to know how many words in the unlocked source segments there are.

If I analyze the files of the project and select the option "exclude counting words in locked segments", it says that the total of words is slightly over 5,500. Almost 3,500 of them are "words with context" and the rest are high matches.

According to the client's PO, the project consists of 2,202 new words and the rest are different ranges of matches, in total, for them, 5,061.

Am I counting words right? 500 words is a big difference but I am not even sure if there are new words or not.

I always become confused with these reports.

It's not a new client and I rely on them but it's the first time they send me a PO with matches and a Trados package instead of sending the source files in Word and letting me choose to use whatever CAT tool I prefer.

Thank you so much for your help.

Best regards,
Jorge
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:32
English to Russian
If they gave you their TM, your word count should be identical to theirs Dec 19, 2021

If your word count is different, that means you don't have the TM they used for their word counting.
If they insist that you have their TM, ask them why your word count differs from theirs. It is not possible by design. Probably they use other TM(s) that add more matches. If so, ask them to give you those TM(s) either.

[Edited at 2021-12-19 20:46 GMT]

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Do they use the same tool for the word count as you do? Dec 20, 2021

Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez wrote:

If I analyze the files of the project and select the option "exclude counting words in locked segments", it says that the total of words is slightly over 5,500. Almost 3,500 of them are "words with context" and the rest are high matches.
According to the client's PO, the project consists of 2,202 new words and the rest are different ranges of matches, in total, for them, 5,061.

As Stepan Konev writes, if you have the same TM as they do and they count in the same version of Studio as you do, you should arrive at the same result.

There are other counting tools around also, though, so it could be they use a different counting tool than you do. Most probably the culprit is that you don't have the same TM as they do. Although that's also strange, since normally the proper TM is included in the Studio package.

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
My suggestions Dec 20, 2021

I suggest to ask your client to send the source file (e.g. PDF) with all changes/amendments clearly shown (e.g.: red = removed; green = inserted). Or - at least - they should let you know what word count tool they use.

HTH

Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez
Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Dec 20, 2021

Dear colleagues,

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will talk with the client and will be more cautious before starting any translation in the future.

Best regards,
Jorge

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word count

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »