Thread poster: Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Veronica Coquard
Veronica Coquard
France
Local time: 23:51
French to English
+ ...
Sorry, it's quite the opposite in my book - er, TM Jun 7, 2012

In my translation experience, I have learned so much that when I come across work that I did years ago I want to erase it all and write it over again.

My TM content is getting better every day, and that is exactly how I can judge the worth of my experience.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Theory vs. real life Jun 8, 2012

verslanglais wrote:

My TM content is getting better every day, and that is exactly how I can judge the worth of my experience.

My, I, my, I, my ... And what about John Doe and Jane Roe?

How can a client be sure that you are not Vanessa IjustExchangeWordsUsingAdictionary?

Veronica Coquard
Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
+ ...
I don't share a general TM with any client Jun 9, 2012

If a client requires part of a TM, it is essential that this be requested in advance. If there is no such mention when a job is ordered, I save the translation to one big TM according to the language variant (US or GB) and keep it for myself. If the client specifically wants their work to be on a TM to be shared or archived, I'll save it to a new TM (or use their existing TM).

I am using first-person pronouns because I am talking about my experience. I can't speak for John Doe or a
... See more
If a client requires part of a TM, it is essential that this be requested in advance. If there is no such mention when a job is ordered, I save the translation to one big TM according to the language variant (US or GB) and keep it for myself. If the client specifically wants their work to be on a TM to be shared or archived, I'll save it to a new TM (or use their existing TM).

I am using first-person pronouns because I am talking about my experience. I can't speak for John Doe or anyone else.

It goes without saying that even with a prolific TM you can't just replace one word for another. Personally I handle marketing texts, where sentence structure is all-important and my clients are very demanding. I wouldn't have gotten a foot in the door if my work hadn't been up to speed. But I digress.

All this is to say that the volume of a TM, as the concept exists today, cannot vouch for experience. For those of you who have not made use of the IATE's on-line TM, you can download it to jump-start your own TM. I found this useful when beginning with Trados Studio. The content is not very reliable -- context is everything -- but the sheer volume will enable your TM to be activated much more quickly than if you were just working alone. (Many people don't realize that a TM must include a certain number of translation units just to start recognizing segments.)

For those of you who are interested, you'll find free TMs on the following website: http://ec.europa.eu/translation/english/guidelines/en_guidelines_en.htm

[Edited at 2012-06-09 09:51 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Use a real percentage comparison to choose the right translator

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »