Mobile app for translators
Thread poster: Håvard Olerud Eriksen
Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Basic CAT Jul 19, 2011

Would it be too much to ask for a basic CAT tool that could handle smaller jobs while on the road? Maybe add online synchronisation with a big TM back home or usage of an online TM? Maybe a client app for Wordfast Anywhere would be a starting point.

Kristyna Marrero
Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:24
Use Wordfast Anywhere to work on projects from the road Jul 20, 2011

Hi Wolfgang,

You can use Wordfast Anywhere, our FREE and confidential browser-based TM tool, to work on jobs while on the road. WFA runs on virtually any web-enabled device including laptops, tablets, PDAs, and smartphones (iPhone, Windows Mobile, Android and Palm OS platforms). Your TUs will be added to your TM as you translate. Once you get back to your computer, you can logon to WFA and go to File > backup workspace to download the project file, TM and glossary to your desktop
... See more
Hi Wolfgang,

You can use Wordfast Anywhere, our FREE and confidential browser-based TM tool, to work on jobs while on the road. WFA runs on virtually any web-enabled device including laptops, tablets, PDAs, and smartphones (iPhone, Windows Mobile, Android and Palm OS platforms). Your TUs will be added to your TM as you translate. Once you get back to your computer, you can logon to WFA and go to File > backup workspace to download the project file, TM and glossary to your desktop.

To begin using Wordfast Anywhere, go to www.FreeTM.com and create a free account.

Hope this helps,

Kristyna Marrero
Collapse

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:24
French to English
+ ...
Editing + another approach Jul 21, 2011

On the iPhone/iPad, two main contenders for basic document editing are DocsToGo and Apple's Pages. The first of these is quite reliable for preserving formatting, but doesn't look too pertty on screen while you're editing. The latter is "prettier", and nicer for creeating documents from scratch, but can mangle formatting in the Docs>Pages conversion.

Then, another approach that I use is VNC, which allows you to control your main machine via the network. There's a slight investment i
... See more
On the iPhone/iPad, two main contenders for basic document editing are DocsToGo and Apple's Pages. The first of these is quite reliable for preserving formatting, but doesn't look too pertty on screen while you're editing. The latter is "prettier", and nicer for creeating documents from scratch, but can mangle formatting in the Docs>Pages conversion.

Then, another approach that I use is VNC, which allows you to control your main machine via the network. There's a slight investment involved in this (I think the server for your machine machine is c. $50 and then the iPad/iPhone client is $15 or so) but I've found it to be worth it for when you need to check, for example, how a document actually looks in Word. I don't personally use a CAT tool, but since it gives you complete control of your machine, you can in principle control any arbitrary program, you should in principle be able to control these too. (Occasionally there are subtle issues with e.g. how arrow keys work, but usually these are minor.)

Obviously, a downside of doing all editing over VNC is that you need an Internet connection, so e.g. it's no good while you're flying (though maybe Internet conncetions on flights will become commonplace one day-- we live in hope...).
Collapse

Terminology app for Android - Terminologist Jan 20, 2012

Hello everyone,

I would like to announce that the first terminology application for localization professionals has been published for the android market.

It is still not an equivalent or a substitution for a desktop application, but it may as well come in handy for people on the road that need access to their own terminology lists.

The "Terminologist" enables you to open TBX files on your mobile device, browse through it's contents, search for specific term
... See more
Hello everyone,

I would like to announce that the first terminology application for localization professionals has been published for the android market.

It is still not an equivalent or a substitution for a desktop application, but it may as well come in handy for people on the road that need access to their own terminology lists.

The "Terminologist" enables you to open TBX files on your mobile device, browse through it's contents, search for specific terms and even suggest changes in the form of a change log. It cannot (at least for now) edit TBX files.

The goal was to provide localization professionals with a simple straight-forward and light-weight app that can run on any android device.

Here is a link to the market webpage with a more detailed description: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.tbx.editor

You can find the app through the market by searching for "TBX" or "pub:azekakis" (that's the easiest way. Since it's a new app searching for more generic keywords would not show it easily).

Oh and I forgot, it's free

This is just the first of a series of applications being currently developed for Android, with the main goal being to create a functional CAT tool.

I hope you like it. Please feel free to contact me for any suggestions or comments. Don't forget to rate on the android market as well if you like what you see!

Regards,
Alexandros

[Edited at 2012-01-20 19:01 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-01-21 11:29 GMT]
Collapse

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Terminology and Wf Anywhere Jan 21, 2012

@Alexandros: This might make me export my terminology lists to tbx. So maybe... tmx would be the next level?
Looks like my wish I uttered in July might come true some day.

@Krystina: Have not looked into this thread for a while, sorry I did not see your answer until now. I am fully aware of the fact that you can principally access Wordfast Anywhere through any browser, but please be honest: have you ever tried that on a smartphone? Since nowadays, literally every newspaper cr
... See more
@Alexandros: This might make me export my terminology lists to tbx. So maybe... tmx would be the next level?
Looks like my wish I uttered in July might come true some day.

@Krystina: Have not looked into this thread for a while, sorry I did not see your answer until now. I am fully aware of the fact that you can principally access Wordfast Anywhere through any browser, but please be honest: have you ever tried that on a smartphone? Since nowadays, literally every newspaper creates an app to give better access to content, this should even more go for a web-based application like WfA that heavily relies on text entry. A comfortable client software for WfA on a smartphone platform (preferably Android in my case) might make me use my WfA account more frequently.
Collapse

Terminology and future thoughts Jan 21, 2012

Hello Wolfgang,

thanks for the reply.

Indeed the next thought would be a TMX parser / browser.

However, I will first look into optimizing the Terminology parser by including more file types e.g. MT 7 XML and adding functionality such as adding and updating terms directly on the TBX file.

Other thoughts are currently being developed as well, but for now I would like to keep them secret and not promise much.

I hope you like the Termi
... See more
Hello Wolfgang,

thanks for the reply.

Indeed the next thought would be a TMX parser / browser.

However, I will first look into optimizing the Terminology parser by including more file types e.g. MT 7 XML and adding functionality such as adding and updating terms directly on the TBX file.

Other thoughts are currently being developed as well, but for now I would like to keep them secret and not promise much.

I hope you like the Terminologist application. Please remember to provide with any feedback and suggestions - since I am not a translator myself I might have missed some things that professionals consider essential-. Those are more than welcome

Feel free to contact me via e-mail or keep posting here. I will keep track

Regards,
Alexandros

[Edited at 2012-01-21 19:26 GMT]
Collapse

Android Terminologist - New version 1.3 Jan 24, 2012

Hello,

regarding the newly released Android application able to parse TBX files I would like to announce that the features have already been enhanced and the update will be available tomorrow via the android market.

Version 1.3 can now read mtf.xml i.e. MultiTerm 7 XML files on your android mobile device (!)

* Users can open, browse contents, search and suggest updates for both TBX and Multiterm 7 XML files
* some more enhancements and fixes have been
... See more
Hello,

regarding the newly released Android application able to parse TBX files I would like to announce that the features have already been enhanced and the update will be available tomorrow via the android market.

Version 1.3 can now read mtf.xml i.e. MultiTerm 7 XML files on your android mobile device (!)

* Users can open, browse contents, search and suggest updates for both TBX and Multiterm 7 XML files
* some more enhancements and fixes have been applied

Depending on incoming feedback more features will be added or corrected in future versions.
For questions, suggestions, comments feel free to contact me.

Regards,
Alexandros
Collapse

MottoLab
MottoLab
United States
Local time: 10:24
Chinese to English
just some suggestions Jan 25, 2012

Johanna Liljenzin wrote:

Dear Håvard,

I would absolutely love a mobile application that could count words in documents attached to emails. I often receive requests from clients by email when I happen to be out, and I have often thought that it would be useful with an application that would let me quickly count the words in a word, excel or powerpoint document on the go.

Kind regards,
Johanna

I was thinking the same thing just a few days ago.

I'd love an app which can let me:

1) Do a word count
2) Calculate price estimate, input the rate, quantity, applicable tax (if any)
3) Email or message estimate to clients from the app
4) Send invoices to clients on the go
5) iPhone/iPad, Android and Windows compliant
6) Users can create one account and log in via cross-platform network

Terminologist v1.3 Jan 25, 2012

Hello all,

the updated (Version 1.3) for the Terminologist application was just published.

New features include:

* Added support for MutliTerm 7 XML files
* Terms can be copied to clipboard by taping on them
* Fixed some minor UI glitches
* Added a sample TBX and MTF file
* Changed navigation button color to declare end and begin of file

I created a sample MFT and a sample TBX file which you can use to test the applicati
... See more
Hello all,

the updated (Version 1.3) for the Terminologist application was just published.

New features include:

* Added support for MutliTerm 7 XML files
* Terms can be copied to clipboard by taping on them
* Fixed some minor UI glitches
* Added a sample TBX and MTF file
* Changed navigation button color to declare end and begin of file

I created a sample MFT and a sample TBX file which you can use to test the application!

Hope it helps.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mobile app for translators

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »