How to edit, insert comments and make corrections on a PDF document?
Thread poster: oligyp
oligyp
oligyp
Local time: 11:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 5, 2010

Hello everybody, I just wanted to know if there is a way I can edit, insert comments and make corrections on a PDF document. Sometimes I get PDFs to correct or translate but have to send them back because I don't know how to work on them. Can you help? Is there any other program that can be used for PDfs? Thanks for your help.

Portals
Portals
Local time: 10:10
French to English
PDF documents Apr 6, 2010

It might depend on the required response format, but I would copy and paste into a word document, do my work and then (in word 2007) publish as PDF or (in word 2003) use CutePDF to "print" as a PDF document.

Ali Alsaqqa
Ali Alsaqqa  Identity Verified
United States
English to Arabic
Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro Apr 6, 2010

Hi

I think Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro can do this. check it out :

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatpro/features/

But I must worn you that it cost a fortune, 449$

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
It depends Apr 6, 2010

If it's an editable pdf you will need one of Adobe's editing tools, or one of a competitor's. If the pdf actually consists of uneditable images or scans, that won't help.

I use ABBYY Finereader to convert the pdf to a Word .doc file, and work on the Word document created instead.

Giffted
Giffted  Identity Verified
Dominican Republic
English to Spanish
+ ...
Adding to John Comment.... Apr 6, 2010

John is right.
Infix PDF Editor is a great tool for that porpouse.
A cheaper one is PDF Viewer by Docu-Track, but it can be tricky. It doesn't really allow you to edit the files, but you can create txt boxes and type in the PDF document. Adobe will recognize those as txt boxes and it is possible to remove them.
DeskPDF by docudesk will allow you to convert the PDF into a word document, that you can edit and "re-convert" to pdf. You do have to be careful with the formatting and
... See more
John is right.
Infix PDF Editor is a great tool for that porpouse.
A cheaper one is PDF Viewer by Docu-Track, but it can be tricky. It doesn't really allow you to edit the files, but you can create txt boxes and type in the PDF document. Adobe will recognize those as txt boxes and it is possible to remove them.
DeskPDF by docudesk will allow you to convert the PDF into a word document, that you can edit and "re-convert" to pdf. You do have to be careful with the formatting and OCR recognition.
There are other free software that will let you do the same thing, but be careful when charging for that work, there can be a lot of work involved with the formatting of the documents when you have to convert them back and forth.
Collapse

Kaoru
Kaoru "Kay" Shibuya  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:10
English to Japanese
For annotation Apr 6, 2010

I use PDF-XChange Viewer to insert annotaions and such to pdf files.

http://pdf-xchange-viewer.en.softonic.com/

Kay

Lourdes Sanchez
Lourdes Sanchez  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
editing Apr 6, 2010

In case you are out of the software to help you and in a pinch select the whole document (ctrl A), copy the document (ctrl C) and paste it into a Word document (ctrl V). Hopefully your document does not have much formatting. Edit your document and when you save the final corrections choose the PDF option

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:10
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
PDF pen Apr 6, 2010

If you just need to add comments, highlight certain paragraphs and so on, I can recommend PDF pen as a very inexpensive alternative to the Adobe full version. I'm not sure if it only works on MAC, though.
Hdh,
Irene

oligyp
oligyp
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks all for the help... Apr 6, 2010

All your suggestions are very helpful and I think I might try a couple of them. I was confused because sometimes I get PDFs to translate or just to review but I can't do any changes or edits to the document because I either don't have the right for it or it's just not editable so I was looking for some help on how to go about it. Has anybody heard of a software that helps with this called Fox or something like that? Again, thanks for your help!

István Hirsch
István Hirsch  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:10
English to Hungarian
I think.. Apr 7, 2010

...it is Foxit PDF editor. I have not tried it.

Xuguang Wang
Xuguang Wang
China
Local time: 23:10
English to Chinese
Foxit PDF editor or Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro can help you to do it. Apr 7, 2010

Foxit PDF editor or Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro can help you to do it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to edit, insert comments and make corrections on a PDF document?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »