Thread poster: William Pairman
William Pairman
William Pairman  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:21
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Feb 10, 2010

I'm a long-standing two finger typer, learnt in a press room with a cigarette in the corner of my mouth. Managed to give up smoking but never learnt to touch type (ie look at the screen not the keys)

Can anyone reccomend any self tutoring programmes'? There seem to be lots available, both free and for purchase.

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
English to French
TypeFaster Feb 10, 2010

Hi William,

Please see:

http://www.proz.com/forum/being_independent/111746-do_you_want_to_learn_to_type_start_here.html

Stéphanie

William Pairman
Spain
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks! Feb 10, 2010

Thats fantastic Stéphanie, much obliged

Wish I'd seen it earlier

[Edited at 2010-02-10 12:29 GMT]

karolinki
karolinki
Polish to English
+ ...
very simple touchtyping application Feb 10, 2010

gtypist - this one helped me; simple also means less distractions

regards,

k.

http://www.gnu.org/software/gtypist/

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Two links Feb 10, 2010

William Pairman wrote:
I'm a long-standing two finger typer, learnt in a press room with a cigarette in the corner of my mouth. Managed to give up smoking but never learnt to touch type (ie look at the screen not the keys).

The best way to learn Dvorak is using the self-paced method here:
http://gigliwood.com/abcd/lessons/

If you're into Querty, though, check out this comprehensive list with reviews (not sure how old it is):
http://typingsoft.com/all_typing_tutors.htm

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Teach Yourself Touchtyping Feb 10, 2010

why don't you try Dragon Naturally Speaking, rather?
so you can hold a glass of Grego Crianza 2005 or Pago Vilches Rosado 2007 in a hand and a tapa in the other hand, unless you lost this vices, too ...

Claudio

[Modificato alle 2010-02-10 14:28 GMT]

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
But make sure that your keyboard is compatible with the programme Feb 10, 2010

I, a pretty fast touch typer, and modest with it, used to get furious with those typing races that you can take part in on line, because they kept telling me I had made mistakes - until I realised that I was typing on a European qwerty as opposed to the US programme, so my punctuation was up the spout.

William Pairman
Spain
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
keyboards etc. Feb 10, 2010

aceavila - Noni wrote:

I, a pretty fast touch typer, and modest with it, used to get furious with those typing races that you can take part in on line, because they kept telling me I had made mistakes - until I realised that I was typing on a European qwerty as opposed to the US programme, so my punctuation was up the spout.

Thats a fair point, I was thinking about this as the free prog suggested by Stéphanie has my right little finger resting on the colon / semi colon key whereas its sitting on the Ñ

Still, it would seem to make more sense doing an English based course as thats the language I'm going to be writing in

And no Claudio, Dragon has never appealed much, not yet anyway. The plan is to enjoy the glass of Rioja / Rueda during the vast amount of leisure time freed up by my soon-come mercurial typing skills

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Dragon fan... Feb 10, 2010

Claudio Porcellana wrote:

why don't you try Dragon Naturally Speaking, rather?
so you can hold a glass of Grego Crianza 2005 or Pago Vilches Rosado 2007 in a hand and a tapa in the other hand, unless you lost this vices, too ...

Claudio

[Modificato alle 2010-02-10 14:28 GMT]

William,

I couldn't agree more with Claudio. I'm a very fast typist, but Dragon is faster still and while it can misunderstand what I say, it doesn't make tiny typos that are hard to see (the kinds of errors it does make are usually stand out like a sore thumb).

It doesn't cost that much and has definitely paid for itself in productivity.

Patricia

trad500
trad500
Local time: 12:21
English to French
or the playful way... Feb 10, 2010

I bought a book which contained exercises and helped me to put my fingers on the right keys, but next, I shamefully have to admit that the game "typing of the dead" was of great help!!

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 06:21
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Carpal tunnel syndrome Feb 10, 2010

I am also a two-finger typist and I have no intention of learning how to type faster. I just have meet enough translators/typist/transcribers with the above disease for convincing myself that there is no gain on typing 4,000 words per day (and bragging about that) if your health may be at stake.

I am not paid for typing but for translating. Consequently I use every type of available aid for avoiding typing, and that includes voice recognition, smart TM management tools (DéjàVu),
... See more
I am also a two-finger typist and I have no intention of learning how to type faster. I just have meet enough translators/typist/transcribers with the above disease for convincing myself that there is no gain on typing 4,000 words per day (and bragging about that) if your health may be at stake.

I am not paid for typing but for translating. Consequently I use every type of available aid for avoiding typing, and that includes voice recognition, smart TM management tools (DéjàVu), etc. being able to steadly produce up to 6,000 words per day.

BTW, have you tried the voice recognition feature of Windows Vista or 7? Nothing to install or buy, and may be enough for your nedds..

Saludos
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
No shame... Feb 10, 2010

Marie Leca wrote:

I bought a book which contained exercises and helped me to put my fingers on the right keys, but next, I shamefully have to admit that the game "typing of the dead" was of great help!!

Nothing to be ashamed of! My favorite is the TypeRacer:

http://play.typeracer.com/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Teach Yourself Touchtyping / Keyboarding Software

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »