Non-''English'' Forums and Directionality
Thread poster: Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Dec 13, 2003

There is something I really don't understand on this site and I would like to understand it/point out the issue, as I would like to post a message concerning something and it would depend on the answer to this issue.

Everyone translates INTO and OUT of a language. Translation schools in Europe call this the A language (the one translated INTO, which is the mother tongue) and the B language (the one translated from). Then, one establishes one's combinations from that, which can incl
... See more
There is something I really don't understand on this site and I would like to understand it/point out the issue, as I would like to post a message concerning something and it would depend on the answer to this issue.

Everyone translates INTO and OUT of a language. Translation schools in Europe call this the A language (the one translated INTO, which is the mother tongue) and the B language (the one translated from). Then, one establishes one's combinations from that, which can include C languages too (C languages are not as well known by the transalator as the B language). So, in my case, I have three B languages and one A.
When I have something to say about one of my B languages (Spanish, French and Portuguese)with regard to translation, where should I post it? Sometime ago, there was a lot of discussion about whether one had to post IN French, Spanish or Portuguese in those forums. In those forums, people with other combinations that do not include English may post. So, if we are keeping the forum of non-English forums, shouldn't there be a forum for those of us who have English as an A language and want to post things about various topics not covered under either the non-English forums or the other proz forums? In other words, translation INTO ENGLISH related topics that could not be posted elsewhere....THe only other way to handle this would be to have forums for each of the combinations which is unwieldy of course. For example, FRENG, FRGER, FRCHINESE

It seems to me this is an obvious point. I think they should be renamed LANGUAGE FORUMS and English should have its place there. Otherwise, where do I talk about concerns of mine about translation INTO ENGLISH but about French, for example? I have posted for example in English in the Spanish forum because I had remarks about Spanish things but I notice people dont't like that very much.

To summarize, in keeping with the directionality issues in translation, I think the non-English forums should be renamed "Language Related Forums" and English should have its place there for persons working INTO English from whatever language. Isn't that only fair? Otherwise, with the structure of the site as it is now, one assumes the into English translator has no place to go....Makes sense, doesn't it?

Thank you.
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 01:14
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
More forums? Dec 13, 2003

When I have something to say about one of my B languages (Spanish, French and Portuguese)with regard to translation, where should I post it?

You can post in many forums, Jane, Linguistics, Coop, Techniques, Localization...or Spanish, French and Portuguese forums.

When I have something to say about one of my B languages (Spanish, French and Portuguese)with regard to translation, where should I post it?

You can post in many forums, Jane, Linguistics, Coop, Techniques, Localization...or Spanish, French and Portuguese forums.

Sometime ago, there was a lot of discussion about whether one had to post IN French, Spanish or Portuguese in those forums.

Sorry, I don’t remember that.

In those forums, people with other combinations that do not include English may post.

Are you talking about the Spanish, French ad Portuguese forums? Of course people who post there may have combinations without English.

So, if we are keeping the forum of non-English forums, shouldn\'t there be a forum for those of us who have English as an A language and want to post things about various topics not covered under either the non-English forums or the other ProZ.com forums? In other words, translation INTO ENGLISH related topics that could not be posted elsewhere....THe only other way to handle this would be to have forums for each of the combinations which is unwieldy of course. For example, FRENG, FRGER, FRCHINESE
It seems to me this is an obvious point. I think they should be renamed LANGUAGE FORUMS and English should have its place there. Otherwise, where do I talk about concerns of mine about translation INTO ENGLISH but about French, for example?

It seems to me that English forums are more numerous and that nearly all kind of subjects can find a good place in Linguistics, Coop, Techniques or Localization forums at least.
Whenever you have a particular concern about translating into English from French, I think that it could be posted in any of those forums or in the French one. Those who don’t translate in the same pair and direction would tolerate, accept and might even learn something when making comparisons to other languages.

I have posted for example in English in the Spanish forum because I had remarks about Spanish things but I notice people dont\'t like that very much.

That’s not the problem, Jane. The moderator asks to write in Spanish those who can, know Spanish and don’t do it. In fact, even if I understand English, when I see somebody who translates into Spanish posting in English in the Spanish forum it looks like ill manner or lack of courtesy to me, whereas somebody who states “sorry for writing in English, it’s the only way to say what I mean”, is welcome unreservedly.

Does it make sense?
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:14
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Is this really an issue? Dec 13, 2003

Of course it is preferred to stick to the language of the forum, but in my experience, certainly in the Russian forum, the Russian native speakers may object if one of their own number posts in English, but are quite willing for a native English speaker to post in English if he has something relevant to say (and maybe too complex for him to express in Russian). I have found the same in the Spanish forum too. Perhaps I have just been luckier than you in this respect.

Claudia's post
... See more
Of course it is preferred to stick to the language of the forum, but in my experience, certainly in the Russian forum, the Russian native speakers may object if one of their own number posts in English, but are quite willing for a native English speaker to post in English if he has something relevant to say (and maybe too complex for him to express in Russian). I have found the same in the Spanish forum too. Perhaps I have just been luckier than you in this respect.

Claudia's post was not visible when I was submitting mine, but I see we are both making the same point.

[Edited at 2003-12-13 19:00]
Collapse

Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Appreciate your response but Dec 13, 2003

Claudia...

So, the idea of the non-English forum is what exactly? To address issues specific to that language community AND all issues relating to translation INTO that language?

I'm just saying that I feel there should therefore be one for INTO English...See what I mean? Even if English is the quasi-"lingua franca", I still feel there should be an English forum per se. And there isn't one...

See more
Claudia...

So, the idea of the non-English forum is what exactly? To address issues specific to that language community AND all issues relating to translation INTO that language?

I'm just saying that I feel there should therefore be one for INTO English...See what I mean? Even if English is the quasi-"lingua franca", I still feel there should be an English forum per se. And there isn't one...

Collapse

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
We enjoy our non-Spanish visitors Dec 13, 2003

Jack Doughty wrote:

Perhaps I have just been luckier than you in this respect.

In fact we are the lucky ones having Jack among our friends.. We have a few much liked visitors who are nor fluent in Spanish, and they use whatever means they have to communicate.

As the Spanish forum moderator, I can't remember any instance of people complaining about postings in languages other than Spanish. Maybe Jane can help by pointing to any specific instance of trouble I may be forgetting (we are well above 18K postings to date)

I have sometimes suggested to Spanish-speaking members that they should use Spanish, since we have colleagues who are nor fluent in English, but it is not mandatory.

Sometimes we get a thread written in English that in my opinion fits into one of the many subject-specific ProZ' fora, and then I move it into such forum and I notify the poster. This is standard ProZ practice.

I believe ProZ has many specific fora, all of them in English, and then some non-English fora for those who prefer to post in these languages. It looks like a good system to me (of course there will be always non-English languages without a specific forum).

Cheers,
Enrique Cavalitto

[Edited at 2003-12-13 19:20]

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
How I see it Dec 13, 2003

Jane Lamb-Ruiz wrote:

Hi Jane,

In my opinion, the idea of the non-English forum is to have a channel of communications for those who prefer to communicate in non-English languages.

I see no limitation of subjets (provided etiquette is respected). We have on-topic and off-topic threads, you may bring forward whatever topic you are interested in.

Regards,
Enrique

Oleg Rudavin
Oleg Rudavin  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 08:14
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Or, vice versa, a very detailed one Dec 14, 2003

Jane Lamb-Ruiz wrote:

I still feel there should be an English forum per se. And there isn't one...

Isn't that just a matter of attitude? I mean, there's a huge English forum consisting of numerous sub-forums including Translator Resources, Techniques, Literature/Poetry, etc. It's English by default as the site itself.

In fact, non-English forums were created to address the needs of those who don't speak English or are interested in languages other than English.

[Edited at 2003-12-14 09:39]

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
The main purpose of the language forums Dec 14, 2003

is to foster and foment the use of that language, in particular with regards to translation issues affecting the users of that language.

Linguistic and literary news and issues having to do with the language in question are quite common.

Bilingual postings also appear from time to time, especially when dealing with questions of arbitrage (glossary entries challenged or questioned, on which it is ideal to reach a consensus).

Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanx for your posting re purpose of forums Parrot Dec 14, 2003

[quote]Parrot wrote:

The purpose of the non-English language forums "is to foster and foment the use of that language, in particular with regards to translation issues affecting the users of that language.

Linguistic and literary news and issues having to do with the language in question are quite common."

Well, it seems that there is no forum for the discussion of translation issue affecting the users of the English language nor for fostering and fomenting the use of it. The concerns of linguistics and literary translation may but do not necessarily concern the issues affecting the use and practice of English. This was precisely my point.

Thanx everyone for his or her answer!
I just wanted to make my concern clear.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Non-''English'' Forums and Directionality

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »