Working in TEAMS: Views? Suggestions? Possibilities?
Initiator des Themas: Davíd Lavie
Davíd Lavie
Davíd Lavie
Vereinigte Staaten
Local time: 14:47
Russisch > Englisch
+ ...
Nov 26, 2003

Greetings,

I have a question about teams. While it seems that they arise spontaneously, on the basis of people knowing or connecting with each other through Proz, I'd like to know if anyone has any suggestions on how to join or form a team.

I am a bilingual Russian-English and English-Russian translator. Most of my experience is Russian-to-English, with an emphasis on texts in finance and the humanities. Of course, I've translated anything from business proposals with s
... See more
Greetings,

I have a question about teams. While it seems that they arise spontaneously, on the basis of people knowing or connecting with each other through Proz, I'd like to know if anyone has any suggestions on how to join or form a team.

I am a bilingual Russian-English and English-Russian translator. Most of my experience is Russian-to-English, with an emphasis on texts in finance and the humanities. Of course, I've translated anything from business proposals with specialized metallurgical terminology to scientific papers in linguistics, but translations in finance and literature/the arts are my forte. I also know Spanish and can translate from Spanish into Russian.

To what kind of team could I make a contribution? In other words, does it make sense to work with people who have different specialties, thus forming a team that has, say, a medical, patents/sciences, IT, automotive and finance gurus in a particular language pair (going both ways)? Or does it make sense to form a coop of financial or humanities translators in different language pairs? Or are teams organized around the most salable combinations of languages (the official UN five, for example)?

Any advice, offers or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Gennady

P.S. I read all the entries in Henry's 30/x post on the benefits of working in a team, but still had specific questions. Hence, this post.
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 07:47
Mitglied (2002)
Spanisch > Französisch
+ ...
What do you need? Nov 26, 2003

Hi Gennady

What do you need? Have you ever been compelled to refuse a job in your pairs? For what reason?
Are there teams in your languages here in ProZ ?

I think that either I would contact those teams or think of building a team. I would not contact those who don't offer your languages, because it would mean that you'd be alone, not in a team.
For building a team I'd look at my needs. I'd look for what I can't offer to my clients. Maybe my problem is that
... See more
Hi Gennady

What do you need? Have you ever been compelled to refuse a job in your pairs? For what reason?
Are there teams in your languages here in ProZ ?

I think that either I would contact those teams or think of building a team. I would not contact those who don't offer your languages, because it would mean that you'd be alone, not in a team.
For building a team I'd look at my needs. I'd look for what I can't offer to my clients. Maybe my problem is that I don't have many clients, I'd look for somebody who knows how to attract them...

These are just ideas, it's easy to speak

[Edited at 2003-11-26 22:12]
Collapse

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:17
Englisch > Tamil
+ ...
In stillem Gedenken
Please see another thread started by Henry Nov 28, 2003

There has already been a lot of input on this question. See:http://www.proz.com/topic/15410.
Regards,
N.Raghavan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working in TEAMS: Views? Suggestions? Possibilities?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »