Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
Royaume-Uni
Local time: 02:00
russe vers anglais
+ ...
In memoriam
I prefer flying solo, but have found a team useful at times Oct 31, 2003

I prefer working on my own, but last December, not long before Christmas, I was offered two large jobs (from different agencies) both of which I would have turned down rather than get heavily involved at that time. I was able to share them with three other people (two of whom I had met), so was able to do about a quarter of each of them, so I benefited and so did the other three. But one person should coordinate all parts and make sure the whole job is consistent.

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Allemagne
Local time: 03:00
allemand vers anglais
Pluses and minuses Nov 3, 2003

Jack Doughty wrote:

... But one person should coordinate all parts and make sure the whole job is consistent.

I just finished working on a month long project with a team of translators I had never met and will probably never meet (because the coordinator never released email addresses), communication was through the coordinator only. However the project ran smoothly and I'm sure everybody was happy. I felt sorry for the coordinator who didn't get any extra pay for doing all that extra work.

I've also been working regularly on projects with another translator for many years, which has worked out very successfully.

However it all depends on your team. I worked with a translator for a German to English project that lasted 4 months. Although the translator is BDÜ accredited for German to English her English vocabulary is at the grade 6 level and her grammar is influenced heavily by the German. I didn't know this when she hired me to work with her by taking over 50% of the translating and all the proofreading of the finished text. Her translations were a DISASTER. For example it took more than 3 hours to proofread/edit, correct and redo 1000 of her translated words. She guessed at half the translations and came up with some real howlers... In the beginning she demanded grammar-rule proof of the corrections of her numerous mistakes (she always thought she was right!), which took loads of extra time finding the links online to send to her. And here's the "Krönung": she sent me an invoice for "going over" my proofread work!!! I could only shake my head and laugh, I have never worked with her again and have since refused proofreading work from her.

[Comment aside: After that disasterous experience it made me really wonder just what the purpose could be for getting accredition in a language pair that you are just not entitled to. She laughingly told me that if you ace the one language pair and barely pass the other you get your accredition in both! Just what is BDÜ's or any other accredition organisation's reasoning for this?]

sylvie

[Edited at 2003-11-04 16:34]

Pages sur ce sujet:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Benefits of working within a team?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »