Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24] >
Illegal use of data from ProZ.com profile
Thread poster: RoxanaTrad (X)
Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:40
English to French
+ ...
Anybody home? Jul 19, 2009

Could we please have a post from ProZ staff? At least a short and sweet "Thanks for reporting the problem. We're on it and will post with more details later."

I want to know what's going on. Since this is not the first time this has happened, I am very worried. It is clear there has been a security breach. Keeping mum about it isn't helping AT ALL.

Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:40
German to English
+ ...
More obvious way? Jul 19, 2009

Marie-Claude Falardeau wrote:
But how did OutsourcingRoom obtain such information, if not through a breach in security?

[Edited at 2009-07-19 04:44 GMT]

It's interesting to note that proz.com set up an office in the Ukraine a year or so (?) ago, and outsourcingroom is also based in the Ukraine. Makes the proz.com invoicing tool look even more attractive, doesn't it? For the record, I found my username at that website too, but with just my city and country, no other details.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:40
English to French
+ ...
They deserve a class action suit Jul 19, 2009

I would just like to quote Outsourcing Room (with my emphasis):
OutsourcingRoom.com has created this privacy statement in order to demonstrate our firm commitment to privacy.

Mariusz Kuklinski
Mariusz Kuklinski  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:40
English to Polish
+ ...
Looks like a Russian job Jul 19, 2009

I looked at the company which puts The Outsourcing Room on the Internet and they seem to be Russian to me.

---

Having writen the foregoing observation I saw a post saying they are based in Ukraine. The other colleague may be right.
Mariusz

[Edited at 2009-07-19 10:28 GMT]

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
"Pakistan sent and language pair was SLO-RO" Jul 19, 2009

ROTFLMAO....

Probably descendants of Slovenian Soldiers, who went AWOL during Alex-the-Great India campaign.

Legio elans eclatans.

Regards

Vito

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:40
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Main issue here: non-public info displayed openly on another site Jul 19, 2009

as said, it is clear that public info can be crawled. Private should be protected and stay private.

And even though something is shown publicly somewhere, the owner of those data ought to have the right not to have his/her own data added all over without his/her knowledge.

I do not wish to be identified with virtual places I consider highly unprofessional or fashionable for all and any Internet surfer.

And as said in this thread, what if someone else transl
... See more
as said, it is clear that public info can be crawled. Private should be protected and stay private.

And even though something is shown publicly somewhere, the owner of those data ought to have the right not to have his/her own data added all over without his/her knowledge.

I do not wish to be identified with virtual places I consider highly unprofessional or fashionable for all and any Internet surfer.

And as said in this thread, what if someone else translates a text using our names and the result is poor? I agree that it'd be difficult to create the whole pipeline, payment included with our names (hmm even though anyone could create a specific e-mail address and open a MoneyBookers or PayPal account and receive payments that pretty anonymous way). That it wasn't us could be proven, but it'd take time, provided that we get to know about bad quality being delivered by someone using our names... not to talk about vanished contacts, only because our image was damaged. I admit that I don't think that serious and quality-oriented clients would ever use some online channels, but our world is pretty small.

There ought to be some legal protection even for data shown publicly as to where they may be displayed, i.e. only where the owner of those data want them to appear.

Giuliana

P.S. forgot to add the hilarious bit: we are not to use a colleague's real name on ProZ.com, if this colleague uses a nick here and never signs her/his postings or KudoZ answers or whatever publicly with his/her real name.

[Edited at 2009-07-19 13:15 GMT]
Collapse

lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to English
I've also just found my details on Outsourcingroom.com Jul 19, 2009

...including personal information I'd hidden on Proz.com. So much for Proz.com's guarantees about privacy and data protection.

I could understand it if my public data had been mined, but not the hidden data. Proz.com claim to know things about internet security, so they should be on their guard against data mining.

I don't care if it's the weekend (I happen to be working) but I (and obviously a lot of another folk) want an answer from the Proz.com staff NOW.

... See more
...including personal information I'd hidden on Proz.com. So much for Proz.com's guarantees about privacy and data protection.

I could understand it if my public data had been mined, but not the hidden data. Proz.com claim to know things about internet security, so they should be on their guard against data mining.

I don't care if it's the weekend (I happen to be working) but I (and obviously a lot of another folk) want an answer from the Proz.com staff NOW.

I also expect Proz.com to take whatever action is necessary to remove our details from this intruder site - we individually did not cause the security breach and it's not up to us to sort it out.

Whatever you're doing, Henry, it's not as important as this is. Get off you butt and sort it out.
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Sure Jul 19, 2009

Giuliana Buscaglione wrote:

Yes, and here is the proof copied from my ProZ profile:

Copyright © 1999-2009 ProZ.com - All rights reserved. Privacy policy

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Have you tried googling instead? Jul 19, 2009

France-Japon wrote:

I have NOT found my profile on this sitem if this can help anyone find why certain profiles are targetted and not others (not that I want to be a target...). Language combinaison?

I couldn't find myself on the site at first, but googling on my surname and outsourcingroom did the trick. And I don't think it's down to language combo, from the postings here there seems to be a wide variety but so far I'm the only one working with SE.

lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to English
Removed my details Jul 19, 2009

I don't know if it helps but I've removed virtually everything in my profile with the exception of my username. There is now very little marketing value in belonging to Proz.com but I will give the staff a little while to rectify matters adequately before removing my profile altogether and demanding my money back.

Alessandra Russo
Alessandra Russo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
Not alone Jul 19, 2009

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:

France-Japon wrote:

I have NOT found my profile on this sitem if this can help anyone find why certain profiles are targetted and not others (not that I want to be a target...). Language combinaison?

I couldn't find myself on the site at first, but googling on my surname and outsourcingroom did the trick. And I don't think it's down to language combo, from the postings here there seems to be a wide variety but so far I'm the only one working with SE.

Madeleine,

unfortunately you are not the only one working with SE who's on that website

I work from SE into IT and I am there too.

I actually don't think that it is something related to language combination. In fact, I think there isn't a pattern at all. It's like having burglars at home: they just get their hands on all that glitters (which not always is gold).

[Edited at 2009-07-19 12:13 GMT]

Kitty Maerz
Kitty Maerz  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Strange Jul 19, 2009

I have now found my name too. However, city and state are incorrect and do not correspond to what I have on my ProZ.com profile. Still, my name isn't that common so I doubt there is someone else in Germany with the same one (including middle initial). Very strange indeed.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
I am NOT there Jul 19, 2009

France-Japon wrote:

No, language combination no, because there are many Eng Ita there, who knows...

Marjolein Verhulsdonck-Roest
Marjolein Verhulsdonck-Roest
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
I seem to be in the clear, too Jul 19, 2009

I googled my full surname and both names separately, as well as my username. Luckily, nothing came up, but this whole situation is pretty disconcerting.
I'm very curious as to what the site staff has to say about all this...
Marjolein

Gemma Collinge
Gemma Collinge  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Today Jul 19, 2009

I wasn't on there yesterday but I am today...

An update from proz.com would be very welcome now.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Illegal use of data from ProZ.com profile

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »