Страниц в теме:   < [1 2]
Poll: Does using CAT tools increase work opportunities?
Автор темы: ProZ.com Staff
Oliver Lawrence
Oliver Lawrence  Identity Verified
Италия
Local time: 12:05
итальянский => английский
+ ...
Yes May 20, 2009

I find that CAT tools can get you some work where an agency will only consider translators who use a CAT tool (e.g. for working on projects in teams). Not that that happens massively often though.

Rolf Kern
Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Швейцария
Local time: 12:05
английский => немецкий
+ ...
Памяти
yes, but May 20, 2009

Mark Nathan wrote:

I would be wary of someone who gave you a job on the basis of your possession of a CAT tool rather than relevant experience/qualification in the field in question.

I guess if it comes down to choosing between two candidates with similar qualifications, they will choose the one with the CAT tool.

[Edited at 2009-05-20 08:42 GMT]

I am of the same optinion and do not unse CAT.

Joan Berglund
Joan Berglund  Identity Verified
США
Local time: 06:05
Член ProZ.com c 2008
французский => английский
agree completely May 20, 2009

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

CAT tools are the #1 requirement of rate-squashing translation agencies. Among the agencies I work for, the one IMHO that offers by far the best quality to their end-clients actually resents my use of WordFast. They even warned me once that I am expected remove each and every trace of CAT, regardless of it being immediately spotted during proofreading by someone else.

I see too many agencies more concerned with fuzzy-match discounts than translator competence. So I think CAT tools increase work opportunities... but certainly at lower rates.

End-clients seldom care about CAT-tools. Its like when you take a taxicab: you don't care whether it has automatic transmission or power steering, as the driver is the one who will be using them.

So far I have come across exactly one agency who uses CAT for quality control, working closely with their clients and translators to ensure consistent and accurate terminology. Everyone else that has insisted on CAT absolutely seems to use it to ask for discounts. They do not provide memory, or if they do it is low quality and obviously never read by someone familiar with the subject and target language. Needless to say, I have not worked with these agencies.

Most of my regular clients do not care whether or what CAT program I use. There was one end client who refused to provide editable docs for a long time because they did not understand the difference between CAT and MT, and wanted to be sure they were not getting MT.

Страниц в теме:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Модератор(ы) этого форума
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Does using CAT tools increase work opportunities?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »