fonts change - unreadable
De persoon die dit onderwerp heeft geplaatst: Joanna Kulig
Joanna Kulig
Joanna Kulig  Identity Verified

Local time: 17:37
Engels naar Pools
Dec 1, 2012

Hello,

I came across a weird (to me) problem with OmegaT. I noticed that the target file gets messy - I can only see Chinese signs, instead of Latin. I am translating a text from English to Polish and first I had a problem with the TM - the fonts were unreadable. I saved all the .doc source documents as .txt in Unicode (I also tried utf-8 separately, or ansi, not good either) and TM was fine, but the target file... a catastrophe!

Today, I also noticed that the name of
... See more
Hello,

I came across a weird (to me) problem with OmegaT. I noticed that the target file gets messy - I can only see Chinese signs, instead of Latin. I am translating a text from English to Polish and first I had a problem with the TM - the fonts were unreadable. I saved all the .doc source documents as .txt in Unicode (I also tried utf-8 separately, or ansi, not good either) and TM was fine, but the target file... a catastrophe!

Today, I also noticed that the name of a file I downloaded changed too! Instead of Polish "Mały Książę" I got "MaÅ‚y Książę". So I can suspect some system error. What is happening? I googled it and followed some pieces of advice, but nothing worked.

Does anybody have any idea how to handle it? I'd be VERY grateful, the deadline is pretty tight!
Thank you,
JK
Collapse

Joanna Kulig

Engels naar Pools
ONDERWERPSTARTER
p.s. Dec 1, 2012

I have Windows 7 and OmegaT 2.3.0_4.

I also changed the txt extention to utf8, as someone suggested elsewhere, but I got this: 뿯붿‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍浓액憼湬捩⁡敃瑮牵⁹‍‍‍‍⁍⁤⁥†⁃‱‰ ‱‴⁅‍‍
⁷⁩⁴⁨†⁁⁥†⁂⁲⁡⁤⁥⁹†⁃⁴⁲⁥⁲
‍‍‍‍‍‍⁏⁰⁥⁲⁡⁴

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
Frankrijk
Engels naar Frans
+ ...
Unicode is UTF-16 Dec 1, 2012

Joanna Kulig wrote:

I have Windows 7 and OmegaT 2.3.0_4.

I also changed the txt extention to utf8, as someone suggested elsewhere, but I got this: 뿯붿‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍浓액憼湬捩⁡敃瑮牵⁹‍‍‍‍⁍⁤⁥†⁃‱‰ ‱‴⁅‍‍
⁷⁩⁴⁨†⁁⁥†⁂⁲⁡⁤⁥⁹†⁃⁴⁲⁥⁲
‍‍‍‍‍‍⁏⁰⁥⁲⁡⁴

"Unicode" (under Windows) is UTF-16.

Either save your .txt file as UTF-8 (you can do that easily with Notepad. Save as..., select UTF-8), and indeed name them .utf8), or use a proper format able to handle correctly different languages (.docx with Word, .odt with OpenOffice, etc.).

Didier

Joanna Kulig

Engels naar Pools
ONDERWERPSTARTER
done that Dec 1, 2012

Didier Briel wrote:

"Unicode" (under Windows) is UTF-16.

Either save your .txt file as UTF-8 (you can do that easily with Notepad. Save as..., select UTF-8), and indeed name them .utf8), or use a proper format able to handle correctly different languages (.docx with Word, .odt with OpenOffice, etc.).

Didier

Hi Didier,

I don't have the UTF-16 option to choose from (when I save from .doc to .txt). As I said - I have already tried UTF-8 and plain Unicode, and I also changed the extension and nothing worked - please, see the post above, I am not asking about saving in different coding.

I changed some settings on my computer, I rebooted it, of course, I re-installed OmT. No reaction.

Rgds, A.

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
Verenigde Staten
Local time: 11:37
Russisch naar Engels
+ ...
It IS about encoding Dec 1, 2012

Something is definitely wrong with your encoding, not with OmegaT or your operating system. Didier knows a million times more than I do about this. But did you follow his instructions exactly about how to change the encoding to utf8? My choice would have been to save the source document as .docx rather than .txt, but I'm not sure that would be helpful since you've already done the translation (or some part of it).

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
Frankrijk
Engels naar Frans
+ ...
Open the .txt, resave as UTF-8 Dec 1, 2012

Joanna Kulig wrote:
I don't have the UTF-16 option to choose from (when I save from .doc to .txt).

Open the .txt with Notepad, re-save as UTF-8.

Didier

Joanna Kulig

Engels naar Pools
ONDERWERPSTARTER
Oh my, I DID! Dec 1, 2012

Didier Briel wrote:

Joanna Kulig wrote:
I don't have the UTF-16 option to choose from (when I save from .doc to .txt).

Open the .txt with Notepad, re-save as UTF-8.

Didier

Thank you guys, but I will repeat again - this is what I have done several times.

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
Verenigde Staten
Local time: 11:37
Russisch naar Engels
+ ...
Are your languages set right? Dec 2, 2012

THIS POST IS NOT DISPLAYING CORRECTLY SO I DELETED IT.

[Edited at 2012-12-02 14:19 GMT]

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:37
Lid 2006
Engels naar Russisch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Share your file Dec 2, 2012

As said by other posters, this is about encoding. It looks like a typical case of UTF-8 wrongly decoded as ISO Latin-1. However, it may be more complicated: a UTF-8 text once opened as ISO Latin-1 then saved to UTF-8 or UTF-16. Anyway, unless you share your file, all this guesswork will be inefficient.

We hebben geen speciale moderator aangesteld voor dit forum.
Wanneer u overtredingen van de sitevoorschriften wilt melden of hulp wilt hebben, neem dan contact op met ProZ.com-medewerkers »

fonts change - unreadable

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »