Inserting identical text on each line of a Word document
Thread poster: BrianHayden
BrianHayden
BrianHayden
United States
Russian to English
Jun 27, 2014

I've copied and pasted the HTML text of a dictionary into Word (I believe I have the 2010 edition). I've put bullet points in front of each paragraph of text ( = each entry in the copy-pasted dictionary), so that now I have an enormous list of bullet points, each bullet point followed by a dictionary entry. So, that's where I'm at now. I want to copy-and-paste this Word document onto the end of another, larger Word document, which is in the same bullet-point format. This would give me another tr... See more
I've copied and pasted the HTML text of a dictionary into Word (I believe I have the 2010 edition). I've put bullet points in front of each paragraph of text ( = each entry in the copy-pasted dictionary), so that now I have an enormous list of bullet points, each bullet point followed by a dictionary entry. So, that's where I'm at now. I want to copy-and-paste this Word document onto the end of another, larger Word document, which is in the same bullet-point format. This would give me another tremendous list of bullet points; I would then use the alphabetize feature in Word on this large list, creating one large, merged dictionary, in alphabetical order. So far I know how to do all of that. Here's the catch: before I merge the two wordlists, I want to add a source note to the end of each bullet entry/paragraph in one of the dictionaries, so that I can tell where I pulled these entries from. So, how do I automatically insert identical text -- a very short bracketed three-letter code like "[WEB]" for Webster's -- at the end of each bullet point / line / paragraph in a Word document?

I realize that I'm not explaining this very well. Thanks to anyone who tries to plow their way through my explanation.
Collapse

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 08:05
Greek to English
Search and replace Jun 28, 2014

If I've understood you correctly, you can do this by replacing every instance of ^p (represents new paragraph) with [WEB]^p, or whatever.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:05
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
It sounds simple... Jun 28, 2014

BrianHayden wrote:
Here's the catch: before I merge the two wordlists, I want to add a source note to the end of each bullet entry/paragraph in one of the dictionaries, so that I can tell where I pulled these entries from.

Find: ^p
Replace: [WEB]^p

We're assuming of course that your entries all end on ^p (and not ^l, for example) and that no entry has ^p in the middle of it.

[Edited at 2014-06-28 08:14 GMT]

BrianHayden
BrianHayden
United States
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 28, 2014

That seems to do the trick.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Inserting identical text on each line of a Word document

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »