What are .docx files?
Inițiatorul discuției: Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 00:22
din engleză în rusă
+ ...
Oct 21, 2009

I'm afraid what I'm about to ask here is something that everyone knows, and I'm the only one left in the dark. So I ask this question with fear that I'm confessing my ignorance to the world... But, it has been said, that "to ask is to be in a disgrace but for one minute, and not to know is a disgrace for a lifetime", so I'll ask anyway.

Recently, I have received a few files in .docx format and was unable to open them. What are they? What do I need to do to open them?

... See more
I'm afraid what I'm about to ask here is something that everyone knows, and I'm the only one left in the dark. So I ask this question with fear that I'm confessing my ignorance to the world... But, it has been said, that "to ask is to be in a disgrace but for one minute, and not to know is a disgrace for a lifetime", so I'll ask anyway.

Recently, I have received a few files in .docx format and was unable to open them. What are they? What do I need to do to open them?

Are they created by "new and improved" MS Word? I have MS Office 2003 and I have been perfectly happy with it until now. Is it a trick by the software industry to force me to upgrade while I am happy with what I have?

Is there something I can ask the senders of these file to do so I could open them?

Your help and advice will be greatly appreciated.
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
Regatul Unit
Local time: 08:22
din italiană în engleză
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_Open_XML Oct 21, 2009

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_Open_XML

Sarah van den Elzen
Sarah van den Elzen
Ţările de Jos
Local time: 09:22
din olandeză în engleză
+ ...
.docx to .doc Oct 21, 2009

Hi,

.docx files are part of the new office system. There are plenty of converter machines available. All you need to do is google: "convert .docx to .doc" and you should be fine. You can also convert the files back to .docx when you're done.
I hope this helps.

Sarah

Helen Shiner
Helen Shiner  Identity Verified
Regatul Unit
din germană în engleză
+ ...
Opening Word 2007 files in an earlier version of Word Oct 21, 2009

This should help you. You just need a free download which will convert .docx files for you, until you choose to upgrade, if ever, to Word 2007:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/ha100444731033.aspx

[Edited at 2009-10-21 22:45 GMT]

Anne-Marie Grant (X)
Anne-Marie Grant (X)  Identity Verified
din franceză în engleză
+ ...
When you press 'save as' Oct 21, 2009

one of the options that will come up will be 'save as word document 1997-2003'. That should turn your docx into a doc which you can then open. This worked for me when I needed to convert a docx for use with my CAT tool.

[Edited at 2009-10-22 14:12 GMT]

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
Franţa
Membru (2003)
din engleză în olandeză
+ ...
A new format used by Microsoft Word Oct 21, 2009

Hi Alexandra,

DOCX is a new format used by Microsoft Word. I'm still using Office 2002 (Word XP) but I've downloaded a free fix from the Microsoft website that allows me to open and work with all those new Microsoft Office files with an added X.

Regards,
Gerard

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japonia
Local time: 16:22
Membru (2005)
din engleză în japoneză
+ ...
With a little bit of further thinking Oct 22, 2009

I'm surprised to know that there are still many people having trouble opening Docx files, and downloading freefix to tackle the problem. When I create a Word file (my version is 2007), I always save as "Word 97-2003", since I do not know whether my clients could open the file if I save it as docx file.

Alexandra, this is not ignorance, and you shouldn't be ashamed of yourself. Like everybody wrote above, download a freefix or ask your clients to send the documents in 'Word 97-2003'
... See more
I'm surprised to know that there are still many people having trouble opening Docx files, and downloading freefix to tackle the problem. When I create a Word file (my version is 2007), I always save as "Word 97-2003", since I do not know whether my clients could open the file if I save it as docx file.

Alexandra, this is not ignorance, and you shouldn't be ashamed of yourself. Like everybody wrote above, download a freefix or ask your clients to send the documents in 'Word 97-2003' version, or rather, the doc. version.
Collapse

The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 03:22
din rusă în engleză
+ ...
They are a pain in the neck, that's what they are Oct 22, 2009

Just another way for Bill to squeeze an extra buck out of us. I still use Word 2000 which is as good (or as bad) for my purposes as anything that came afterward. Just as someone above suggested, download the free converter. It does slow you down, especially when saving, and the machine may occasionally crash, yet it is still serviceable, at least for the most part.

P.S. Did I mention thank Bill yet?

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 00:22
din engleză în rusă
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
Summarizing... Oct 22, 2009

What they are: a pain in the neck (or another body part).

How to deal with them: either ask a client to save a document down to Word 2003-2007 version, or download a free converter.

I was about to do just that - to download, but The Misha mentioned something about "the occasional system crash"... hm... should I take my chances?

Did anybody have bad experience with the converter?

And yes, I think it's just another clever way for the Microsoft
... See more
What they are: a pain in the neck (or another body part).

How to deal with them: either ask a client to save a document down to Word 2003-2007 version, or download a free converter.

I was about to do just that - to download, but The Misha mentioned something about "the occasional system crash"... hm... should I take my chances?

Did anybody have bad experience with the converter?

And yes, I think it's just another clever way for the Microsoft to make us spend money...

Thank you very much for all your answers!
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
Franţa
Utilizator
din franceză în engleză
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
No problems here! Oct 22, 2009

I encountered exactly this problem a while back (I'm using Office XP aka 2003)

When I tried to open the .docx, it told me what the problem was, and linked me to the MS site, where I was able to download the free convertor; it installed OK first try, and since then .docx files have opened perfectly every time.

I have not noticed any special tendency to system crashes (even though my system is not particularly stable at the best of times!)

Good luck!
... See more
I encountered exactly this problem a while back (I'm using Office XP aka 2003)

When I tried to open the .docx, it told me what the problem was, and linked me to the MS site, where I was able to download the free convertor; it installed OK first try, and since then .docx files have opened perfectly every time.

I have not noticed any special tendency to system crashes (even though my system is not particularly stable at the best of times!)

Good luck!

Collapse

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
Franţa
Utilizator
din engleză în maghiară
+ ...
No problems here, either Oct 22, 2009

I had the same experience as Tony. No problems with the MS converter.
Attila

MelissiM
MelissiM
Italia
I find those files very good to create, but...! Oct 22, 2009

Hi!
I'm using this new feature since a couple of months, because when my old PC crashed, in August, I decided to update everything, also the sotware.
It's very useful and it allows a lot of new things, but there' s problem: that, as you, many other (the most) cannot read this format.
So, I had to save my new CV (very very enticing:) )as "Word 97-2003", both before sending it or converting it in a pdf file to be sent, or my new clients couldn't save it (they could, but without r
... See more
Hi!
I'm using this new feature since a couple of months, because when my old PC crashed, in August, I decided to update everything, also the sotware.
It's very useful and it allows a lot of new things, but there' s problem: that, as you, many other (the most) cannot read this format.
So, I had to save my new CV (very very enticing:) )as "Word 97-2003", both before sending it or converting it in a pdf file to be sent, or my new clients couldn't save it (they could, but without reading it...).
Have a nice day!
Cristina

[Edited at 2009-10-22 06:44 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spania
Membru (2005)
din engleză în spaniolă
+ ...
No problems either Oct 22, 2009

Indeed. We receive an increasing number of "x" files and so far we haven't had any trouble opening/saving them with the MS converter.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Membru (2005)
din engleză în cehă
+ ...
docx Oct 22, 2009

I have never had any problems whatsoever with the conversion of 2007 "x" format files to MS Office 2003.

I do not like MSO 2007 and will not install it on my machines as long as I am not forced to do it. So far so good: it looks like I can cooperate with customers using 2007 without any problems, thanks to that converter.

Just a small remark on "just another way of getting our money" - my impression is that it is the other way around, namely, a step (even though uncompl
... See more
I have never had any problems whatsoever with the conversion of 2007 "x" format files to MS Office 2003.

I do not like MSO 2007 and will not install it on my machines as long as I am not forced to do it. So far so good: it looks like I can cooperate with customers using 2007 without any problems, thanks to that converter.

Just a small remark on "just another way of getting our money" - my impression is that it is the other way around, namely, a step (even though uncompleted AFAIK) to an open format of office files, to which Microsoft came only reluctantly and under a lot of pressure from the "rest of the world". Or is there anything I am missing about it?

Antonin
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Ţările de Jos
Membru (2006)
din engleză în afrikaans
+ ...
Service pack 3 for Office 2003 Oct 22, 2009

Alexandra Goldburt wrote:
Are they created by "new and improved" MS Word? I have MS Office 2003 and I have been perfectly happy with it until now.

What you don't have, apparently, is service pack 3 of MS Office 2003. You can download it if you google for it. It includes the so-called compatibility pack that you can install separately, if you wish.

Or if you don't want to mess with your Office 2003, you can download and install the free OpenOffice.org, which can read DOCX files.

Număr de pagini:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are .docx files?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »