WhiteSmoke version 2009 - did anybody try it recently?
Thread poster: DocteurPC
DocteurPC
DocteurPC  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:40
English to French
+ ...
Jan 16, 2009

I got an offer from Proz (Advertising Partner) for a discount on WhiteSmoke which is a bit like Antidote but in English- the offer expires today (I find 2 days is very short for such an offer) and takes off $20 from the "normal special offer new 2009 version pricing". By curiosity, I downloaded the trial version of the software. The recommendations were good, but when I clicked "apply" in the WhiteSmoke windows, my text either disappeared, changed fonts to something weird like symbols or Times N... See more
I got an offer from Proz (Advertising Partner) for a discount on WhiteSmoke which is a bit like Antidote but in English- the offer expires today (I find 2 days is very short for such an offer) and takes off $20 from the "normal special offer new 2009 version pricing". By curiosity, I downloaded the trial version of the software. The recommendations were good, but when I clicked "apply" in the WhiteSmoke windows, my text either disappeared, changed fonts to something weird like symbols or Times New Roman (which I NEVER use). Is it a quirk on the demo version to force us to buy the full version, which is shooting themselves in the foot (does software have foot/feet?) or is the full version as quirky? By curiosity again, I tried it on this message. It gave me the right correction (I had made a mistake on purpose) it asked about Proz since it is not in the dictionary and when using "apply" the text did not disappear. Maybe it's only with my version of Word (97). Did anyone try the full version recently? Did you find the same thing? Did you use it on a different Word version?Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:40
Flemish to English
+ ...
A lot of smoke... Jan 16, 2009

No and I am getting fed up with the "White Smoke" spam I get in my inbox every day. I do not need the product, yet every day there is a mail about WS.

[Edited at 2009-01-16 17:49 GMT]

Ulf Norlinger
Ulf Norlinger  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 10:40
English to Swedish
+ ...
Works fine Jan 17, 2009

I am using the full version of WhiteSmoke 2009 and no problems so far with it. Maybe it is adapted for MS Word 2007 which I am using.

I agree with the thread mentioned below that WhiteSmoke is primarily aimed at amateurs, but can assist you when you are in a hurry, for example, during e-mail correspondence (spell checking, synonyms etc.).

[Redigerad 2009-01-17 10:22 GMT]

Kemal Mustajbegovic
Kemal Mustajbegovic  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:40
English to Croatian
+ ...
There's a recent discussion Jan 17, 2009

You may check this resent discussion

http://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/125093-whitesmoke_any_experiences_to_share.html

Cheers!

DocteurPC
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Kemal Jan 17, 2009

I had done a search on WhiteSmoke before posting this request, and did not get anything recent!? In any case, the "special offer" has now expired, so I guess I'll pass on this one

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
OpenOffice + LanguageTools Jan 17, 2009

[quote]Ulf Norlinger wrote:

I am using the full version of WhiteSmoke 2009 and no problems so far with it. Maybe it is adapted for MS Word 2007 which I am using.

I agree with the thread mentioned below that WhiteSmoke is primarily aimed at amateurs, but can assist you when you are in a hurry, for example, during e-mail correspondence (spell checking, synonyms etc.).

rad 2009-01-17 10:22 GMT]

I haven't tried white smoke, but from what you're saying it appears that OpenOffice.org 3 + the LanguageTool extension will do most, if not all, of what you require without you having to pay a cent for it.

Regards,

Piotr

DocteurPC
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
last episode (and a cheaper version) Mar 12, 2009

As mentioned before, I had downloaded the trial version.

They kept offering cheaper and cheaper versions "for those who have downloaded the trial version."

When it hit $29.95US, I decided to bite (or is that to smoke?)
and order it, particularly since they take PayPal, which I much prefer to giving my credit card info.

The process went fine and there was a message that a representative w
... See more
As mentioned before, I had downloaded the trial version.

They kept offering cheaper and cheaper versions "for those who have downloaded the trial version."

When it hit $29.95US, I decided to bite (or is that to smoke?)
and order it, particularly since they take PayPal, which I much prefer to giving my credit card info.

The process went fine and there was a message that a representative would contact me to finalize the order. I then get a further email saying that they can't reach me at the phone number I have provided (I had used the phone number of the university where I teach) and could they get another phone number to call me?!

I refused to supply another phone number (never heard of having to phone someone in order to finalize an order on the net?!) and I asked for an immediate refund.

Within minutes, my PayPal account was credited with the full sum, which is more that I can say about Nuance Communications which kept the $25 "delivery" fee despite a non-delivery.

When I de-installed the trial version, it tried to connect to their url address (but I always do installs/deinstalls offline).

If having somebody call you in order to finalize an order does not bother you, I suggest that you download the trial version and wait for the "special offer". It's bound to come back.

At least, you now know what to expect.
Collapse

jeromelefevre
jeromelefevre
WhiteSmoke 2009 - excellent grammar check Mar 24, 2009

The grammar check is so much better than the standard on on Microsoft Word. English is my second language (I am originally French) and find the suggestions that Whitesmoke gives to be very helpful and effective. The user interface is also very simple to navigate, which was important to me because some of the other programs I considered seemed too cumbersome.

The program occassionally makes some suggestions that don't make much sense, with both grammar and style. But, they are usua
... See more
The grammar check is so much better than the standard on on Microsoft Word. English is my second language (I am originally French) and find the suggestions that Whitesmoke gives to be very helpful and effective. The user interface is also very simple to navigate, which was important to me because some of the other programs I considered seemed too cumbersome.

The program occassionally makes some suggestions that don't make much sense, with both grammar and style. But, they are usually really obvious and are just bugs so its easy to ignore. Plus the system seems to be improving and catching more errors than before (its an internet-based database)
Collapse

kasiamaja (X)
kasiamaja (X)  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
+ ...
Result of my research on the internet: NO. Mar 31, 2009

Greetings,
Reasons for my hesitation in buying Whitesmoke (i.e. warning signs):
1. I had to enter my e-mail address to see any details and price information on their website.
2. The last day of the sale was always the day I visited the site.
3. I'm getting a _lot_ of spam from them now.
4. Interesting comments about them from other users... An example of a negative comment was that the positive comments were written by Whitesmoke people - but who can you actually tr
... See more
Greetings,
Reasons for my hesitation in buying Whitesmoke (i.e. warning signs):
1. I had to enter my e-mail address to see any details and price information on their website.
2. The last day of the sale was always the day I visited the site.
3. I'm getting a _lot_ of spam from them now.
4. Interesting comments about them from other users... An example of a negative comment was that the positive comments were written by Whitesmoke people - but who can you actually trust when dealing with the internet? http://www.dailywritingtips.com/whitesmoke-software-review/

I was curious, but finally decided to stop my research and not purchase this.
Kindest regards,
kasiamaja
Collapse

Stan11
Stan11
Excellent English Enhancement software Jul 23, 2009

I have tried the software!!!. Should I say, I have downloaded the product and use it all the time.
It corrects my spelling, punctuation and grammar as I write. It works on all profiles on the computer. A great feature are the templates that are built-in. What to do? Simply chose a topic and either press to insert or copy and paste. Easy as anything. Press of the key.
I had no problem with the downloading. Had to call support for one quick question, and they were extremely helpful.
... See more
I have tried the software!!!. Should I say, I have downloaded the product and use it all the time.
It corrects my spelling, punctuation and grammar as I write. It works on all profiles on the computer. A great feature are the templates that are built-in. What to do? Simply chose a topic and either press to insert or copy and paste. Easy as anything. Press of the key.
I had no problem with the downloading. Had to call support for one quick question, and they were extremely helpful.
I am impressed so far.
Collapse

Mads Grøftehauge
Mads Grøftehauge  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Question is: did someone at Whitesmoke just shoot themselves in the foot? Aug 19, 2009

Stan11 wrote:

I am impressed so far.

I'm impressed, "Stan"! You created a ProZ profile for the sole reason of raving about this software? Can't help thinking that's your job. But to do it right after this post...

kasiamaja wrote:

4. Interesting comments about them from other users... An example of a negative comment was that the positive comments were written by Whitesmoke people

Too obviously, too!

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
More work on the grammer (sic) needed Aug 19, 2009

Stan11 wrote:
A great feature are the templates that are built-in.

Hurry back to your office, Stan, and tell your paymasters that the either the product still needs work (if you used WS to write your message), or that they need to find people who can in fact write English to plug their product if they want to make the right impression.

Is there really "no such thing as bad publicity", one wonders?

Stan11
Stan11
I'm in no way connected to WhiteSmoke Sep 3, 2009

Hey, if I was connected to the software, I suppose I would not have made the mistates you picked up.
I simply like the program and am always willing to share good things with people.
WhiteSmoke has helped me with my writing of letters, with the tutorials that I am learning from and gaining a lot.
I like it and tell you all out there, that it is worth downloading.

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
If this is the kind of sentence you produce using WS... Sep 3, 2009

Stan11 wrote:

WhiteSmoke has helped me with my writing of letters, with the tutorials that I am learning from and gaining a lot.

I think I'll pass. It would be more useful hiring a child straight out of primary school.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WhiteSmoke version 2009 - did anybody try it recently?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »