Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Is 0.04$p/w even too low for my first job (it's an agency?)
Thread poster: Natalie Cafasso Forman
Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:56
French to English
@Inga Oct 28, 2017

Absolutely!

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:56
Member (2004)
English to Italian
High volume discounts... Oct 28, 2017

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Just today I received an offer from a US agency who found me on the directory and offered me $0.05 for a (big) confirmed project starting next week. The gist of what they said was: since the project is big we had to quote a low rate to get it. We know the rate we're offering you sucks, but you'll get 2.5k per day, every working day, for 4 months, and you'll also be able to work on weekends to compensate for said rate, if you so choose...

IMO that is an unacceptable proposition (and the mention of work during weekends makes it even more evident), but unfortunately, this seems to happen relatively often. Some agencies decide to compete on price (not just Eastern ones, but perhaps also because of them(?)), especially for bigger projects, and then offload the results of those rate wars on translators, by "proposing" them unsustainable rates. However, while agencies (or other middlemen) can accept a project of whatever size and then split it between X translators/editors and still make a profit out of it based on their markup (and proportional to the project size), individual translators can only do so many words per day, so the "big project" rhetoric is actually empty and meaningless to the average translator, save for the duration element, which however also has rather negative implications, such as unavailability for other projects/clients and obviously, working long hours just to scrape a living...

I am not so sure that agencies proposing unsustainable rates or however rates that could be equated with the wage of an unskilled worker (in the country(/ies) where the target language is spoken) really value and respect translation and translators...

Unfortunately, this seems to be the norm amongst agencies these days... it makes sense to them, because they are NOT doing the work... economies of scale don't apply to our work... but agencies sell translations as a commodity and we bear the brunt of it...

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:56
French to English
2.5K a day?! Oct 28, 2017

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Just today I received an offer from a US agency who found me on the directory and offered me $0.05 for a (big) confirmed project starting next week. The gist of what they said was: since the project is big we had to quote a low rate to get it. We know the rate we're offering you sucks, but you'll get 2.5k per day, every working day, for 4 months, and you'll also be able to work on weekends to compensate for said rate, if you so choose...

Can you send me the name of the agency by mail please?!

[Edited at 2017-10-28 18:57 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is 0.04$p/w even too low for my first job (it's an agency?)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »