Using DVX for TM Anywhere projects (SDL Trados 2007)
Thread poster: Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 21:51
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Jul 3, 2007

I'm about to start working for a new client that looks very serious and very professional, at least judging from their project management procedures.

This is the first time I'm supposed to use a remote TM. The TM is on their server and I can access it through a built-in feature ("TM Anywhere") of SDL Trados 2007.

The big question is whether I can use DVX for such projects or not. Normally I translate everything in DVX, and so far I've used Trados only to pretranslate th
... See more
I'm about to start working for a new client that looks very serious and very professional, at least judging from their project management procedures.

This is the first time I'm supposed to use a remote TM. The TM is on their server and I can access it through a built-in feature ("TM Anywhere") of SDL Trados 2007.

The big question is whether I can use DVX for such projects or not. Normally I translate everything in DVX, and so far I've used Trados only to pretranslate the files and to run a final check before delivery.

But this time the TM is not available on my computer, and I can only access the TM, but from what I see, I cannot download it, use it offline, then upload an updated version.

Is there any workaround solution that allows me to use DVX?

thank you in advance,

Csaba
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:51
English to Turkish
+ ...
no solution Jul 3, 2007

Hello Csaba,

As far as I know it is not possible, but wait for other opinions or ask it to Deja Vu Group http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dejavu-l/

Besides, do you have any experience with Trados, in particular using online TMs? I once used MultiTerm anywhere in a HP project but it was too slow. It may be the same with Trados TM anywhere projects. So, you may want
... See more
Hello Csaba,

As far as I know it is not possible, but wait for other opinions or ask it to Deja Vu Group http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dejavu-l/

Besides, do you have any experience with Trados, in particular using online TMs? I once used MultiTerm anywhere in a HP project but it was too slow. It may be the same with Trados TM anywhere projects. So, you may want to hear the opinions of other Trados users and then decide to use Deja Vu or Trados; or you may even consider not getting the project.

Selcuk Akyuz
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Consider your local infrastructure Jul 3, 2007

Hi Csaba,

As Selcuk says, your local infrastructure may make accessing a remote TM impracticable. At least here in Italy, there are too many short or protracted interruptions during the day to make it possible to rely entirely on remote resources yet, even with broadband access.

In your shoes, I would politely ask the clients whether they could export a language/customer-filtered TM and send it to you with each job. What CAT you use would then be irrelevant. When you ha
... See more
Hi Csaba,

As Selcuk says, your local infrastructure may make accessing a remote TM impracticable. At least here in Italy, there are too many short or protracted interruptions during the day to make it possible to rely entirely on remote resources yet, even with broadband access.

In your shoes, I would politely ask the clients whether they could export a language/customer-filtered TM and send it to you with each job. What CAT you use would then be irrelevant. When you have finished translating, the client could then revise and import your file or TM into the master.

This is the procedure I use with those clients who, quite reasonably, want total control of the TM and are capable of maintaining it.

FWIW

Giles
Collapse

Judy Schoen
Judy Schoen  Identity Verified
English to German
not possible AFAIK Jul 4, 2007

Csaba, to use the TM in DVX, you need to export the TM to TXT. which you cannot do here.
The only solution would be to pretranslate the files - if this is possible in this setting- with the online tm, using a very low %, to get many fuzzies. Work with these files in DVX and have the online TM open in Trados and switch to Trados for concordance search.

kind regards
Judy Ann

[Bearbeitet am 2007-07-04 05:42]

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
solution ? Jul 4, 2007

Thank you for your answers.

What I learned from the agency is that Hungarian is a new language and apparently I'm their first translator. This also means that the TM is empty. This may change in the future when they hire additional HU translators, but for the time being I'm the only one.

I pretranslated the translatable Word files using their online empty TM, right now I'm translating the files in DVX (lots of internal repetition).

When I'm done, I plan to
... See more
Thank you for your answers.

What I learned from the agency is that Hungarian is a new language and apparently I'm their first translator. This also means that the TM is empty. This may change in the future when they hire additional HU translators, but for the time being I'm the only one.

I pretranslated the translatable Word files using their online empty TM, right now I'm translating the files in DVX (lots of internal repetition).

When I'm done, I plan to clean up the files against the empty TM to fill it up with content.

(I have to deliver both clean and unclean files.)

How does this sound?

Csaba
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using DVX for TM Anywhere projects (SDL Trados 2007)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »