How many words approx. in 1 min of audio?
论题张贴者: Anai Betancourt
Anai Betancourt
Anai Betancourt  Identity Verified
危地马拉
Local time: 08:44
English英语译成Spanish西班牙语
Aug 5, 2014

Hello everyone!

A customer is requesting me to quote based on wordcount of an audiofile in Spanish. She wants me to provide an estimated wordcount for an audio file. Is there a standard number of words in Spanish that can go in a 1-min audio file? Is there an easy way to calculate this? Thank you all for your help!

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
美国
Local time: 10:44
正式会员 (自2002)
English英语译成Hungarian匈牙利语
+ ...
Uhmmm - calculate yourself? Aug 5, 2014

You could pick up a book, start a timer for one minute, and start reading aloud. When the minute is up, look at the amount of text you read. That is the number of words in a minute.
It can change, a fast-talking person can produce more words per minute, and a slow talker will say less. If this is still about the transcription job you mentioned in your other posts, get a sample of the file before you commit to anything. That way you will know what you are up to.
It is very risky othe
... See more
You could pick up a book, start a timer for one minute, and start reading aloud. When the minute is up, look at the amount of text you read. That is the number of words in a minute.
It can change, a fast-talking person can produce more words per minute, and a slow talker will say less. If this is still about the transcription job you mentioned in your other posts, get a sample of the file before you commit to anything. That way you will know what you are up to.
It is very risky otherwise, as others have already pointed out in your other threads and in past threads that were linked into yours.

[Edited at 2014-08-05 22:20 GMT]
Collapse

Hedwig Spitzer (X)
Hedwig Spitzer (X)  Identity Verified
秘鲁
French法语译成Spanish西班牙语
+ ...
150 words per minute Aug 5, 2014

That is the average word count per minute of audio. It is also used to prepare speaches.

Cheers!

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
美国
English英语译成Spanish西班牙语
+ ...
纪念
Don't commit... Aug 5, 2014

...until you hear it all. There is no way of telling, and the quality of the recording also makes a big difference. There are no general rules for audio transcription, so be careful.

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
墨西哥
French法语译成Spanish西班牙语
+ ...
Simple question... Aug 6, 2014

Does he/she/they speak a lot or not?

As Henry says, beware.

Paul Brown
Paul Brown  Identity Verified
英国
Local time: 15:44
会员
Portuguese葡萄牙语译成English英语
+ ...
Agree with Hedwig Aug 6, 2014

I agree with Hedwig, you're looking at around 150 words per minute. 100 words if slow speech or lack of speech. It's unlikely that it would exceed 200 words.

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
日本
Local time: 23:44
Japanese日语译成English英语
+ ...
It could be something like this Aug 6, 2014

494 words per minute in the first verse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxN7TaiRxGI&feature=youtu.be&t=12s

Just sayin'.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
法国
Local time: 16:44
French法语译成English英语
What do you need this info for? Aug 6, 2014

There's no point timing yourself because you'll be over conscious of your speed the whole time you're talking. Much more to the point would be to take a couple of samples of the actual text you'll be working on. And just as you're supposed to at least skim through a written text before committing to its translation, you should really listen to the whole thing, even if with one ear.

And what does the client want exactly? a transcription? a written translation of the spoken text? sub-
... See more
There's no point timing yourself because you'll be over conscious of your speed the whole time you're talking. Much more to the point would be to take a couple of samples of the actual text you'll be working on. And just as you're supposed to at least skim through a written text before committing to its translation, you should really listen to the whole thing, even if with one ear.

And what does the client want exactly? a transcription? a written translation of the spoken text? sub-titles?
Because depending on what you're going to do to the text you'll need to bear in mind just how audible the speakers are, how articulate they are, whether they are native speakers or not. I have wasted hours listening to snippets of non-native nonsense, trying to make head or tail of the message they are trying to put across.

I also remember a horrendous videotape of the then hottest rock star in town mumbling and jumbling and contradicting himself, peppering the lot with an inordinate number of "you knows" and "likes" and "somehows" and "in some fashions" and "I s'poses".

As a warning to you: I did smooth out the text a whole lot, however I left just enough of the mess in to avoid giving the impression that he could talk proper. The client kicked up a terrible fuss when she got her transcription, because suddenly this rock god was revealed to be an inarticulate hick, which was unbearable for her, so her gut reaction was to shoot the messenger - me.
Collapse

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
美国
Local time: 10:44
Russian俄语译成English英语
+ ...
It depends. Aug 7, 2014

All I can tell you is that to translate 60 min of audio may take at least 8 hours, and sometimes more like 10 or 12.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How many words approx. in 1 min of audio?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »