Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: Generally speaking, where do you think translation should be placed between Science and Art?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
patransword
patransword
Local time: 14:03
German to English
+ ...
Hehehe May 9

Christopher Schröder wrote:

As for Paul’s claim, I think the word “necessarily” needs to be added. As in, making weird stuff does not necessarily an artist make.

Tell that to the Pinakothek der Moderne in Munich and CODA Museum in Apeldoorn which have bought my work, among many other collectors.

[Editada em 2024-05-09 12:44 GMT]

Christopher Schröder

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:03
Dutch to English
+ ...
Confused by the question May 9

I don't think of myself as either an artist or a scientist. I provide a service.

patransword
Lieven Malaise
Kevin Fulton
Matthias Brombach
Dan Lucas
Michele Fauble
Angie Garbarino

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:03
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Ars longa, vita brevis May 9

Lingua 5B wrote:

Why is art at the top of hierarchy? I don't see it that way. If done professionally, art is quite difficult/demanding/tiring and often poorly paid, I'd never put it at the top.

[Edited at 2024-05-09 11:50 GMT]

Industrial design, applied arts and crafts produce useful objects (often, quite beautiful ones), but their scope is defined, maybe even limited, by their functionality.
Art is at the top of the hierarchy – whatever purposes this hierarchy serves – because it's the highest point to which craft can be stretched, and because it is for itself, as in God's assertion I am that I am. (Exodus iii-14, King James.)

As Rachel rightly states, as translators we provide a service. Translation is an ancient craft, from which the relatively modern science of traductology is derived. Like for all other crafts, it's best learned while practising it. Personally, I see myself neither as a scientist, nor as an artist, rather as a craftswoman. But I think that the best examples of literary and poetry translation are works of art.

When confronted with these matters, I always refer to a higher authority, that of my favourite author, Vladimir Nabokov: “From my point of view, any outstanding work of art is a fantasy insofar as it reflects the unique world of a unique individual.* Art is not just simple arithmetic, it's a delicate calculus. Keep in mind the passion of the scientist and the precision of the artist.˝

* (emphasis mine)

Christopher Schröder
Lingua 5B
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Liena Vijupe

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
True May 9

True, a musician plays a wonderful melody showing us their skill and craft.

But, here is why we need a good knowledge of physics when manufacturing musical instruments:

“All musical instruments create sound by causing matter to vibrate. The vibrations start sound waves moving through the air. Most musical instruments use resonance to amplify the sound waves and make the sounds louder. Resonance occurs when an object vibrates in response to sound waves of a certain fr
... See more

But, here is why we need a good knowledge of physics when manufacturing musical instruments:

“All musical instruments create sound by causing matter to vibrate. The vibrations start sound waves moving through the air. Most musical instruments use resonance to amplify the sound waves and make the sounds louder. Resonance occurs when an object vibrates in response to sound waves of a certain frequency.”

From: https://www.ck12.org/physics/musical-instruments/lesson/musical-instruments-ms-ps/#:~:text=All%20musical%20instruments%20create%20sound,waves%20of%20a%20certain%20frequency.

So, without science, a musician wouldn't have an instrument to play.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Hmm May 9

Lingua 5B wrote:

“All musical instruments create sound by causing matter to vibrate. The vibrations start sound waves moving through the air. Most musical instruments use resonance to amplify the sound waves and make the sounds louder. Resonance occurs when an object vibrates in response to sound waves of a certain frequency.”

From: https://www.ck12.org/physics/musical-instruments/lesson/musical-instruments-ms-ps/#:~:text=All%20musical%20instruments%20create%20sound,waves%20of%20a%20certain%20frequency.

But musical instruments predate science as such.

Plus I can play a tune on half-empty beer bottles or oil drums without knowing how it works.

The only science in my work is in the computer tools I use. I could do my art just as well without them.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Liena Vijupe

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Tout se tient, Biljana May 9

Lingua 5B wrote:

Artists need tools to create, science and technology provide those tools, and that's how human ingenuity supports itself, using both cerebral hemispheres.

Lingua 5B

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Where May 9

Christopher Schröder wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

But musical instruments predate science as such.

Plus I can play a tune on half-empty beer bottles or oil drums without knowing how it works.

The only science in my work is in the computer tools I use. I could do my art just as well without them.

You can use it, but you can’t make money without a computer. How and where would you use it without any tech support, while stile making money? Will need at least a printer.

Just like a musician can’t make money while playing on can of beer, but can with a band playing fine-tuned instruments and a bunch of speakers, amplifiers and technical support.

I thought I already made it clear when I said “doing it professionally” in my comment, so not sure where ancient improv instruments came from. Comment for a comment’s sake.

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 16:03
English to Russian
+ ...
Apprentice, journeyman, master May 9

What does translation have to do with science? There's no place here for the scientific method. It's about how to apply the scientific method in a specific context, which necessarily takes a creative mind to accomplish. Take positivism: it even has a hard time thinking about past events: they don't exist today, so you can't use a chicken to measure them. Craft to art, that's the only way to go about our trade. You can study translation rigorously (if it's possible), and then you'll be doing scie... See more
What does translation have to do with science? There's no place here for the scientific method. It's about how to apply the scientific method in a specific context, which necessarily takes a creative mind to accomplish. Take positivism: it even has a hard time thinking about past events: they don't exist today, so you can't use a chicken to measure them. Craft to art, that's the only way to go about our trade. You can study translation rigorously (if it's possible), and then you'll be doing scienceCollapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Miaow May 9

Lingua 5B wrote:
Just like a musician can’t make money while playing on can of beer, but can with a band playing fine-tuned instruments and a bunch of speakers, amplifiers and technical support.

I thought I already made it clear when I said “doing it professionally” in my comment, so not sure where ancient improv instruments came from. Comment for a comment’s sake.

Ooh, getting schooled by the master!

I’m afraid that your point about music simply doesn’t stack up. I used to make money blowing into an 18th century lump of wood. No science. Art. Fact.

Similarly I translate without science. I may use tools but my input is art, not science.

Liena Vijupe

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
nor art, nor science May 9

For starters, this is the second time I am answering this thread. I was almost ready with the first one when Proz disappeared miraculously from my screen. Talking about bugs (but that is another topic).

To get back, I totally agree with Liena, translation is a craft.

I am Dutch, so lets take Rembrandt for example, nowadays one of the most famous painters in the world. But in his time, Master Rembrandt, as he was called, never thought of himself as an artist. He was (as
... See more
For starters, this is the second time I am answering this thread. I was almost ready with the first one when Proz disappeared miraculously from my screen. Talking about bugs (but that is another topic).

To get back, I totally agree with Liena, translation is a craft.

I am Dutch, so lets take Rembrandt for example, nowadays one of the most famous painters in the world. But in his time, Master Rembrandt, as he was called, never thought of himself as an artist. He was (as we call it) a 'bread painter' (= he had to paint for a living, just like you had shoemakers who had to make shoes, and carpenters, bricklayers, bakers, and do I know what), in short, a craftsman.

He was commissioned and did the job (sounds familiar?). Today his work can be found in museums all over the world. I am just wondering, how many of us think that his/her translation(s) in an odd 200 - 300 years will be exhibited?

About science. This is an enigma for me in this context. I agree with Chris. I am using 'science' invented by other people, science like computers, software and the use of electricity, to name a few. I don't invent anything, like new languages and/or words, and if I do invent a new word, it's nor art, nor science, it is at the most 'creativity'.

So I think that the naming of this pole is again vague, like many, many others.

PS) Piece of information. Back in the 1600's the client wasn't satisfied with what is now considered as the most famous work of Rembrandt, namely the Nightwatch, but they didn't had 'proofpainters' then.

[Edited at 2024-05-09 17:29 GMT]

[Edited at 2024-05-09 17:31 GMT]

[Edited at 2024-05-09 17:33 GMT]

[Edited at 2024-05-09 20:16 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Liena Vijupe
Rachel Waddington
P.L.F. Persio

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
“Most famous work” May 9

In 1600s nobody was aware of the “most famous” work or most famous anything as the concept of marketing didn’t exist. When art dealers emerged, one of the tools in their sales arsenal was to name something most famous and to write sales stories.

Translations I work on are not there to entertain tourist crowds in museums, they are not “published”, they are rather used and have functional value and purpose.

Classics like Tolstoy or Shakespeare are used in
... See more
In 1600s nobody was aware of the “most famous” work or most famous anything as the concept of marketing didn’t exist. When art dealers emerged, one of the tools in their sales arsenal was to name something most famous and to write sales stories.

Translations I work on are not there to entertain tourist crowds in museums, they are not “published”, they are rather used and have functional value and purpose.

Classics like Tolstoy or Shakespeare are used in my country mostly in versions translated 100 years ago.

“Such was the case with the first English War and Peace, Clara Bell's, which came out in 1886. Shortly thereafter, the American translator Nathan Haskell Dole published Anna Karenina (1886; 1887) and War and Peace (1889) on both sides of the Atlantic as part of his multi-volume Tolstoy series.“

https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/abs/tolstoy-in-context/tolstoy-in-english-translation/D5C73AEEC1FF76C49620FD5CE109C9E7#:~:text=Such%20was%20the%20case%20with,his%20multi-volume%20Tolstoy%20series.

[Edited at 2024-05-09 17:45 GMT]

[Edited at 2024-05-09 17:48 GMT]
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
@Lingua 5B May 9

Lingua 5B wrote:

In 1600s nobody was aware of the “most famous” work or most famous anything as the concept of marketing didn’t exist.

I am not sure if I understand you correctly. This is exactly what I meant, and to avoid confusion I said 'what is now considered as....'

Or....?

[Edited at 2024-05-09 17:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2024-05-09 17:58 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
I meant May 9

Back then nothing was labeled “most famous”, and today many things are “most famous - painter, best actress, most beautiful woman in the world”, etc. all these things are due to marketing. We didn’t have marketing and mass media in 1600s (I wish I could spend 1 day back in 1600s).

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Lingua 5B May 9

Lingua 5B wrote:

Back then nothing was labeled “most famous”, and today many things are “most famous - painter, best actress, most beautiful woman in the world”, etc. all these things are due to marketing. We didn’t have marketing and mass media in 1600s (I wish I could spend 1 day back in 1600s).

Sorry, but I think you missed my point. Please read what I said before the point of information, that is my argument. The last part is just an anecdote.

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Didn’t miss it May 9

That’s my opinion. It’s about marketing and branding. That’s how one painter ends up in schoolbooks and is constantly talked about and some other isn’t (exposure and marketing). Sorry I can’t provide a more romantic or more sensationalistic explanation or reasoning.

Rachel Waddington

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Generally speaking, where do you think translation should be placed between Science and Art?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »