Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: As a freelancer, do you sometimes have trouble finding time to spend with your family/children?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
Local time: 10:14
English to French
+ ...
Same here Apr 8, 2011

neilmac wrote:

N/A. My family live in Scotland and I live in Spain. We see each other when we can. Usually just for holidays.

Countries are different but the situation is the same. On a positive note: this gives me an opportunity to travel

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:14
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other - no kids or family, but . . . Apr 8, 2011

. . . my work keeps me from spending time with my friends. I've been trying to schedule a phone conversation with a friend in another city for two weeks. Didn't have the time; I'm already sleep-deprived and there's no place left on my schedule for personal connections.

scriptrans (X)
scriptrans (X)

Local time: 10:14
English to German
+ ...
Yes... Apr 8, 2011

but it was even worse as an employee. I was away from home from 5.30 am until 7.30 pm (incl. 5 hours spent on getting to work and back).

At least I'm at home when my daughter is, but especially when I started freelancing, I found myself working 7 days a week.

However, my translation speed has increased significantly since then, I have also found better-paying clients or raised my rates with existing ones so I am more productive in less time.

However, sinc
... See more
but it was even worse as an employee. I was away from home from 5.30 am until 7.30 pm (incl. 5 hours spent on getting to work and back).

At least I'm at home when my daughter is, but especially when I started freelancing, I found myself working 7 days a week.

However, my translation speed has increased significantly since then, I have also found better-paying clients or raised my rates with existing ones so I am more productive in less time.

However, since this is my only source of income and I have to support the two of us with my work, I don't always have a choice and I do feel guilty sometimes.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: As a freelancer, do you sometimes have trouble finding time to spend with your family/children?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »