Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:38
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Sep 24, 2017

I have a paid subscription to Wordfast Classic but I can't remember what has to be done to get everything ready for work tomorrow morning on my brand-new computer. As everything is in a real changeover state at the moment and not at all stable, I'd like to keep my old computer available for use - and full Wf Classic available there too - for a little while - as backup.

So far, I've installed the free trial version on the new computer, which is running Word 2016 (something else that'
... See more
I have a paid subscription to Wordfast Classic but I can't remember what has to be done to get everything ready for work tomorrow morning on my brand-new computer. As everything is in a real changeover state at the moment and not at all stable, I'd like to keep my old computer available for use - and full Wf Classic available there too - for a little while - as backup.

So far, I've installed the free trial version on the new computer, which is running Word 2016 (something else that's new to me!). I've also copied my data files across to the new computer (TMs, glossaries, etc), although I imagine I'll have to point Wf at them. But it isn't seeing any of my setups, and I'm not sure what to do about that. Something to do with .ini files, perhaps??? Also, I'll need to have more than 500 TM entries available to me so I need to know how to get rid of the "free trial" restriction.

Why can't I find this information easily? I can't understand it. I know I've been through this loop before. We don't all have the benefit of just knowing how to do these things.
Collapse

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 20:38
German to English
+ ...
Maybe you should try to find the place Sep 24, 2017

where you can introduce your licence code or WF just doesn't permit the CAT tool running on two different computers.

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:38
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Licensing will be automatic Sep 24, 2017

From the WIKI:

https://wordfast.net/w/index.php/How_can_I_install_and_license_my_Wordfast?

Log in to your account at our website (www.wordfast.net) and download the latest version of Wordfast Classic. The download is a ZIP file and contains both the prog
... See more
From the WIKI:

https://wordfast.net/w/index.php/How_can_I_install_and_license_my_Wordfast?

Log in to your account at our website (www.wordfast.net) and download the latest version of Wordfast Classic. The download is a ZIP file and contains both the program file (Wordfast.dot) and installation instructions (WFReadMe.doc).
Extract (unzip) the ZIP file and then follow the instructions in the WFReadMe file and/or see How to install Wordfast Classic.
When you start using Wordfast Classic (6.0 or newer) in MS Word on your computer, it will license itself automatically, supposing your computer has internet access. The status of your license should be shown on the [?] tab in Wordfast Classic.
For details about Wordfast Classic licensing, see how to license Wordfast Classic.

Cheers,
Gerard
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Start with a clean slate Sep 24, 2017

I'd recommend creating new .ini files on your new computer.

Cheers,
Gerard

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Caveat Sep 24, 2017

Sheila Wilson wrote:

So far, I've installed the free trial version on the new computer, which is running Word 2016 (something else that's new to me!).

I hate to break the news to you, but WF Classic will not work with Excel and PowerPoint files in MS Office versions higher than 2010. I recently bought a new computer, and although it has the latest operating system (Windows) installed, I made sure that the version of MS Office was 2010, as I have one client who sends me Excel files and it's very handy to be able to use WFC on them.

I'm afraid I can't help with your other issues, but my tech guy can do all that sort of thing for me remotely.

[Edited at 2017-09-24 18:47 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Sheila and @Neilmac Sep 24, 2017

Sheila Wilson wrote:
I have a paid subscription to Wordfast Classic...

Do you still have a copy of the wordfast.dot file that you used to use? Or do you intend to use the latest version off the WFC web site?

If you want to use the latest version (6.99) or the almost latest version (6.45), the go to https://wordfast.net/ and log in with your username/password (your username is an e-mail address) and then download WFC from https://wordfast.net/index.php?go=downloadpage.

If you want to use your old wordfast.dot version, well, tell us what is the version number? To see the version number, on your old computer, open the WFC panel and click on the question mark tab.

Odds are you should be able to open the wordfast.dot file in MS Word and then be prompted to press a key combination for automatic installation.

So far, I've installed the free trial version on the new computer...

Which version number? If the latest, then: uninstall it. You need to log in on the WFC web site and download it after you've logged in. The version you download while you're logged in is automatically licensed for you.

If you want to use a version that you've downloaded while not logged in (or if you use a version older than version 6.01c), you'll have to use the manual relicensing system by cliking the button on https://wordfast.net/index.php?go=aftersale.

I've also copied my data files across to the new computer (TMs, glossaries, etc), although I imagine I'll have to point Wf at them.

If the files are located in the same folders and subfolders as they used to be on the previous computer, then you won't need to point WFC to them. Their locations are in the INI files (the setup files). Did you copy the INI files from your old computer? Those are the setups. Look for them in the same folder where wordfast.dot is located.

Why can't I find this information easily? I can't understand it. I know I've been through this loop before.

Go to https://wordfast.net/. There, at the top right, you'll see a login widget. Log in. Then, you're directed to a page that says what you must do (you either choose to download a pre-registered version by clicking the relevant link or you choose to relicense your current installation by clicking the relevant button). Or, if you are logged in, go to Support > My Account.

By the way:

To find the INI files on your old computer (and copy them to your new computer) you have to unhide hidden folders (at least temporarily). Here's how: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8Rgnuc9j4k

An extremely useful program that can also help you find the INI files is Voidtools' Everything: https://www.voidtools.com/

The location of the INI files will depend on your version of Windows and your version of Word.

neilmac wrote:
I hate to break the news to you, but WF Classic will not work with Excel and PowerPoint files in MS Office versions higher than 2010.

That is true. And even if you have an old version of Word, you also need to use an older version of WFC, because the newest version (6.99) doesn't do it either. The preferred way to translate Excel files with WFC 6.99+ is by roundtripping via either WFA or WFP3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBNHmYiVGy4

Gerard de Noord wrote:

I, on the other hand, take my old INI files with me everywhere (I have about 30 of them, and it would take hours to recreate them).

[Edited at 2017-09-24 20:28 GMT]

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Where do I find the ini.files? Sep 24, 2017

Samuel Murray wrote:

I, on the other hand, take my old INI files with me everywhere (I have about 30 of them, and it would take hours to recreate them).

I tend to backup eveything I can, but I never thought about the ini.files.

Gerard de Noord
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Don't complicate things Sep 25, 2017

Samuel Murray wrote:

Gerard de Noord wrote:

[Edited at 2017-09-24 20:28 GMT]

Samuel, you're complicating things, as usual. Dragging along old .dot and .ini files to new computers is counterproductive for most Wordfast users.

I'm an old hand when it comes to WFC but I start from scratch on every new computer.

Cheers,
Gerard

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:38
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hopefully sorted Sep 26, 2017

Thanks to your help, I think I'm up an running again, although I'm not anxious to do any real translation work unitl next month if I can help it. I still have to get to grips with Word 2016's Track Changes functionalities, and get all the other pro software onto my computer: PerfectIt, EScribe, ABBYY, etc. I haven't even sorted out my paid-for anti-virus software yet so lots still to do.

It is a problem that I can't any longer use Wordfast Classic for Excel files, Neil, but I prefer
... See more
Thanks to your help, I think I'm up an running again, although I'm not anxious to do any real translation work unitl next month if I can help it. I still have to get to grips with Word 2016's Track Changes functionalities, and get all the other pro software onto my computer: PerfectIt, EScribe, ABBYY, etc. I haven't even sorted out my paid-for anti-virus software yet so lots still to do.

It is a problem that I can't any longer use Wordfast Classic for Excel files, Neil, but I prefer to try to keep things fairly up-to-date nowadays. I once let other family members persuade me to keep our shared computer on Windows 95, using Works from way back when, until nothing at all could be transferred as none of our files were compatible with anything. Never again! I'd have loved to have stuck with XP, and I know some have, but I'm better off using 10. For that same reason, I downloaded the last-but-one release of Wf Classic, Samuel, rather than keeping what I had. The last one came out only a few days ago so that seemed a bit dodgy. I have however managed to copy across my .ini files, so that's saved a little work.

Thanks again.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for instructions on how to set up Classic on a new computer

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »