US-based translators working with non-US agencies - what to know before applying?
Thread poster: Katherine McMonagle (X)
Katherine McMonagle (X)
Katherine McMonagle (X)
United States
Local time: 22:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 20, 2020

Hello everyone,
I am still pretty new to translating and have just started contacting agencies this month. I have stuck with US-based agencies, as I am in the US and it seemed like a logical place to start. However, I would like to apply to agencies in other countries as well.

For those who work with international agencies (not just US-based translators but anyone), is it fairly smooth to work with international clients? (mainly in terms of payment) or is there anything impo
... See more
Hello everyone,
I am still pretty new to translating and have just started contacting agencies this month. I have stuck with US-based agencies, as I am in the US and it seemed like a logical place to start. However, I would like to apply to agencies in other countries as well.

For those who work with international agencies (not just US-based translators but anyone), is it fairly smooth to work with international clients? (mainly in terms of payment) or is there anything important to know (i.e, a CV instead of a resume, extra identification documents, etc.)

Thanks!
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:51
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Katherine Aug 21, 2020

Like with US agencies, you have to perform due diligence before accepting work. In my case, I prefer working with European customers for several reasons: time zones difference, the fact that I don’t accept payment by cheque or Paypal and the exchange rate variations. This being said, I do have two or three very occasional US clients…

Katherine McMonagle (X)
Marina Steinbach

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

US-based translators working with non-US agencies - what to know before applying?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »