ITI vs SFT
Thread poster: Robert Such
Robert Such
Robert Such  Identity Verified
Member (2020)
French to English
+ ...
Aug 11, 2020

I'm thinking about joining either the Société française des traducteurs (SFT) or the Institute of Translation and Interpreting (ITI).

I translate from French to English.

Anyone have thoughts on which would be the best to join?

Thanks.

Annie Estéphan
Annie Estéphan  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:50
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
Why not both? Aug 11, 2020

Why not both?

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:50
French to English
. Aug 11, 2020

I have the same language pair and chose to join the SFT.
There were several reasons for this:
- Most of my clients are French so it's reasonable to suppose that they'd look at the SFT before the ITI (not that I've got any clients through the SFT for the moment)
- They do interesting training courses in France, so no need to travel to the UK, and they also have regular, very friendly and useful meet-ups just a half-hour bike ride from my home
- At the time I was thinking
... See more
I have the same language pair and chose to join the SFT.
There were several reasons for this:
- Most of my clients are French so it's reasonable to suppose that they'd look at the SFT before the ITI (not that I've got any clients through the SFT for the moment)
- They do interesting training courses in France, so no need to travel to the UK, and they also have regular, very friendly and useful meet-ups just a half-hour bike ride from my home
- At the time I was thinking of joining I was applying for French nationality and this was a way of showing that I'm well integrated into French society even though I work at home alone (and I got it)
- It was easier for me to get the papers together for the SFT than for ITI (don't remember why but my admin phobia has often dictated my life decisions)

Looking at the list, I think that for you in Singapore only the first point would really apply, and it's the one point that has not been fruitful, so I'm not sure my answer helps you in any way, except maybe to rule the SFT out!
Aren't there any similar bodies in Singapore? What are you hoping to get out of membership?
Collapse

Robert Such
Robert Such  Identity Verified
Member (2020)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 11, 2020

Thanks Kay.

I'm looking to gain more clients, especially any based in France, so am thinking, like you, they're more likely to find me through the SFT.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 22:50
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
CIoL? Aug 12, 2020

Over the years I have considered joining the ITI and never done so, which means I know very little about it.

I live in Denmark and translate from Danish to English, and after looking seriously into it, I gave up trying to become A Danish State Authorized Translator. Even when they dropped Danish citizenship as a requirement, it was still very difficult for anyone without a specific MA in translation, either from Copenhagen or from Aarhus.

So then there was the IoL as i
... See more
Over the years I have considered joining the ITI and never done so, which means I know very little about it.

I live in Denmark and translate from Danish to English, and after looking seriously into it, I gave up trying to become A Danish State Authorized Translator. Even when they dropped Danish citizenship as a requirement, it was still very difficult for anyone without a specific MA in translation, either from Copenhagen or from Aarhus.

So then there was the IoL as it was then, and the ITI. The IoL granted full membership after three years of full-time work, and the ITI wanted five years, so with slightly more than three years' experience I went for the IoL. I also had to be a member of the Danish professional union, which is also a trade union, and with subscriptions to this and that, insurance, Trados and the rest, I was not sure I would benefit from yet another association and subscription.

I did look into it again later, but a colleague told a hair raising story about some issues with administrations and exams... I had been lucky to get my Danish diploma acknowledged, and a dispensation from the Dip. Trans. which is not set very often in Danish, and I was not inclined at my quite advanced age to take another set of serious exams. (I assume any exams you might need to take would be set more often in French, but now there are delays because of the Covid-19 crisis.)
This was a few years ago, so the other issues at the ITI have undoubtedly been solved. However, the moment passed for me, and instead I became a Chartered Linguist with the now Chartered IoL.

I have been very glad of my membership and chartered status, which last is also granted to members of the ITI for a fee.
The greatest benefits have been when I was able to attend meetings, lectures and most recently the CIoL Conference in London, just weeks before the lockdown.

Many colleagues who live in the UK are members of both the CIoL and the ITI, and the two institutes obviously supplement each other in some ways.
But you could also look into the CIoL, and I would recommend it.

I believe clients find translators through the ITI, and some certainly use the CIoL Find A Linguist website. Not many clients have found me that way, but when they have, they have been quality clients, but British.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ITI vs SFT

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »