Pursuing the Translation Dream: Promoter of the Profession

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Pursuing the Translation Dream: Promoter of the Profession".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Sanjin Grandić
Sanjin Grandić  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 01:36
Member (2020)
French to Croatian
+ ...
I love interpreting Sep 11, 2020

Always preferred direct contact with clients, especially the French bnecause I grew up in France....besides, what s there not to kike at 35€ per hour FrenchCroatian...I started as a tourist guide then war interpreter and aftedwards mostly jn Finances.

[Edited at 2020-09-11 00:20 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-09-11 00:21 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-09-11 00:22 GMT]

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:36
German to English
+ ...
dunno Sep 12, 2020

I'm not pursuing a dream - I translate, in a rather real way. The idea of promoting the profession as being part of it, I don't know how this advice made me feel. In regard to what the article said, well when I tell anyone what I do, there are not those kinds of misperceptions. Ottawa being largely a government town, the country's capital, officially bilingual - if you say you're a translator, the other person has a mother, father, aunt, uncle, friend, who is a translator or they say "me too... See more
I'm not pursuing a dream - I translate, in a rather real way. The idea of promoting the profession as being part of it, I don't know how this advice made me feel. In regard to what the article said, well when I tell anyone what I do, there are not those kinds of misperceptions. Ottawa being largely a government town, the country's capital, officially bilingual - if you say you're a translator, the other person has a mother, father, aunt, uncle, friend, who is a translator or they say "me too". Nobody has ever asked if I work in a hospital (?) but they will ask, "Do you translate for the government?"Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pursuing the Translation Dream: Promoter of the Profession

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »