http://lcl2.uniroma1.it/termextractor/index.jsp

from the Linguistic Computing Labratory in Italy

Petr Oliver
Petr Oliver  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 14:26
English to Czech
+ ...
Notes on using ExtPhr32 and AntConc as terminology extraction tools Nov 25, 2011

I tried using ExtPhr32 (recommended earlier ni this discussion) to extract terminology. It worked well, I could easily reduce the outcoming list of terms by defining my "stoplist" and "break set" TXT files. However, this tool has one major drawback for me - it uses the ISO 8859-1 character set where some important Czech characters are missing (ž, Ž, ť, Ť) - the first two exist also in Finnish, if I am not mistaken. So if I want to use the term list, I need to add these charactes manually. Tr... See more
I tried using ExtPhr32 (recommended earlier ni this discussion) to extract terminology. It worked well, I could easily reduce the outcoming list of terms by defining my "stoplist" and "break set" TXT files. However, this tool has one major drawback for me - it uses the ISO 8859-1 character set where some important Czech characters are missing (ž, Ž, ť, Ť) - the first two exist also in Finnish, if I am not mistaken. So if I want to use the term list, I need to add these charactes manually. Trying to specify them in the "additional letter set" didn't help either. Then I found there is a newer version ("ExtPhr33"), but the installation wizard froze twice in a row, so I gave up.

As to AntConc, it is slightly more complicated to learn to use and it doesn't display correctly if you are using different DPI (mine is 144 and I am still willing to keep it).
Collapse

Dan Slavoiu
Dan Slavoiu  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:26
English to Romanian
+ ...
Craven's - it doesn't work on Win7 Jul 25, 2012

David Turner wrote:

Eleni Makantani wrote:

Are there any free solutions on the Internet?

... is an excellent little freeware utility which "Extracts every word and every phrase up to a certain length that occurs at least a minimum number of times in a source text and that does not start or end with a stopword"

A English stopword list file is provided but you can find stopword lists for other languages on the Web.

http://publish.uwo.ca/~craven/freeware.htm

David Turner

It doesn't work on Win 7.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:26
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Java version works on Win7 Jul 25, 2012

Dan Slavoiu wrote:

It doesn't work on Win 7.

The Java version does work on Windows 7 (scroll down).

I wish there was a way to tell the program to output only the longest phrases.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Terminology extraction software

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »