Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 23:03
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Dec 3, 2012

I would like to hear about experiences with Finereader newer versions. I have version 8, but the output is not always optimal. Is it possible in version 11+ to set the output so that the software does not create multi-column text but tabulator-separated lines? These columns need much editing when the final text is of different length after translation.
Thanks for more info.

(I know I can try the software but my trial period is over).

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:03
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Stick to 8 Dec 3, 2012

In my experience, FR 9 and later demonstrates worse (albeit slightly) text recognition as compared to FR 8, so I still stick to it.

not create multi-column text but tabulator-separated lines

I don’t quite understand what you need, but why not mark up the segments for recognition as text tables?

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:03
German to English
+ ...
Finding the settings Dec 3, 2012

Hi, I recently moved up from FR8 to FR11. My subjective impression is that the text recognition has improved. I have used the automatic functions to do a quick scan of a couple of jobs for a quotation (before I know whether it is worthwhile to do a more careful job), and in the one case which I did in both FR8 and FR11, far more text was recognised in FR11.

When you open FR11, the first thing you see is a big box with a selection of automatic functions. But you can, in fact, close t
... See more
Hi, I recently moved up from FR8 to FR11. My subjective impression is that the text recognition has improved. I have used the automatic functions to do a quick scan of a couple of jobs for a quotation (before I know whether it is worthwhile to do a more careful job), and in the one case which I did in both FR8 and FR11, far more text was recognised in FR11.

When you open FR11, the first thing you see is a big box with a selection of automatic functions. But you can, in fact, close this box and use the menu items, which certainly offer more flexibility than the fully automatic functions. I am still getting used to FR11 and there are some options that I haven't yet found. But you can certainly define a block manually as a table and ask FR11 to analyse the table layout. I seem to remember it taking me one or two extra mouse clicks to do so, but it is possible. I haven't yet explored to see if FR11 adds options which I was missing in FR8 (e.g. splitting a table column or table cell into two).
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:03
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Screenshot reader Dec 3, 2012

One great feature that was introduced in version 10 or 11 was the Screenshot reader. It's very useful for taking a screenshot in a non-editable format (image in Word or a PDF) and getting ABBYY to read it and then send it to the clipboard in text or table format.
IMO, it's worth upgrading just for that.

Re columns and tabs - I usually select plain text output in ABBYY 11 so that I can format it myself in Word, otherwise columns/fonts/kerning all takes ages to correct. However
... See more
One great feature that was introduced in version 10 or 11 was the Screenshot reader. It's very useful for taking a screenshot in a non-editable format (image in Word or a PDF) and getting ABBYY to read it and then send it to the clipboard in text or table format.
IMO, it's worth upgrading just for that.

Re columns and tabs - I usually select plain text output in ABBYY 11 so that I can format it myself in Word, otherwise columns/fonts/kerning all takes ages to correct. However, as Vicotr and esperantisimo mention, if you draw tables in ABBYY itself, they will be reproduced accurately in plain text output.

HTH,
Emma
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Abbyy Finereader tuneability

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »