Thread poster: Helmaninquiel
Helmaninquiel
Helmaninquiel
Local time: 05:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 15, 2012

Hi all,
I have a folder with .csv files which must be opened using Notepad++ (or anyother with UTF8 support).
The files contain text in two languages. Instead of being in separated columns, they are separated by commas, so there's no way to copy and paste source text in a new document.
I have tried to use SDL Studio and some segments are ok, but others are incomplete and missing.
Do you know another way to extract source text?
Thanks in advance,
Best.

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Replace Oct 15, 2012

Replace commas with tabs and paste into a spreadsheet?

Anna Haxen
Anna Haxen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2005)
English to Danish
+ ...
Have you tried opening with Excel? Oct 15, 2012

I have often worked with comma separated .csv data files, which I could open with Excel and have the data displayed in separate columns. Maybe you can do this with your files and have the text displayed in separate columns? You can then copy and paste the source text into Word and get your word count.

Helmaninquiel
Helmaninquiel
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, but it doesn't work Oct 15, 2012

Joakim Braun wrote:

Replace commas with tabs and paste into a spreadsheet?

Comma dissapears, but both source and target text are in the same line.
Thanks for your help

Helmaninquiel
Helmaninquiel
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, but it doen't work with this file Oct 15, 2012

Anna Haxen wrote:

I have often worked with comma separated .csv data files, which I could open with Excel and have the data displayed in separate columns. Maybe you can do this with your files and have the text displayed in separate columns? You can then copy and paste the source text into Word and get your word count.

I tried that, but source and target columns are in the same cell.
Thank you

[Edited at 2012-10-15 17:32 GMT]

Anna Haxen
Denmark
Member (2005)
English to Danish
+ ...
How did you open it? Oct 15, 2012

You have to make certain selections when opening the file to open it correctly but I can't remember what they are unless I have an actual file to open. If you send me one of the files, I could try.

Helmaninquiel
Helmaninquiel
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Excel and Notepad++ Oct 15, 2012

Anna Haxen wrote:

You have to make certain selections when opening the file to open it correctly but I can't remember what they are unless I have an actual file to open. If you send me one of the files, I could try.

I just double-clicked for opening it with Excel or selected Open with>NotePad++.
I appreciate all your help.
I will send you a small file. But, if you can't separate into columns in your first try, forget about it. You already spent time with this

Anna Haxen
Denmark
Member (2005)
English to Danish
+ ...
Send me a message via my profile Oct 15, 2012

- and I will reply to give you my email address so that you can attach the file.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Don't open CSV by double-clicking on it Oct 15, 2012

Helmaninquiel wrote:

I just double-clicked for opening it with Excel or selected Open with>NotePad++.

That indeed is not the proper way to open a CSV file when you want to convert it to an Excel sheet.

Many CSV files contain a warning in the first lines that they shouldn't be opened that way.

This is the right way to do it: http://cas.sdss.org/dr4/en/help/howto/graph/open.asp

Helmaninquiel
Helmaninquiel
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You are right Oct 16, 2012

Hans Lenting wrote:

Helmaninquiel wrote:

That indeed is not the proper way to open a CSV file when you want to convert it to an Excel sheet.

Many CSV files contain a warning in the first lines that they shouldn't be opened that way.

This is the right way to do it: http://cas.sdss.org/dr4/en/help/howto/graph/open.asp

Thank you.
I just tought I had to remove manually to get the wordcount

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to count words in a comma separated .csv file

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »