Thread poster: finnword1
finnword1
finnword1
United States
Local time: 03:39
English to Finnish
+ ...
Sep 5, 2012

Do you use an on-line converter vs. your own stand-alone program? I received a beatiful pdf manual, 3.4 Mb in size, with pretty color pictures. I told the client that I cannot work from pdf, so she uploaded a Word file, equally pretty, but now 170 Mb, to a cloud server. DejaVu would not import it, so I had to take the color pictures out, which brought it down to 5.2 Mb. I had a lot of trouble in copying all the pictures back. Some went nicely, othera did not. I am wondering if I had been better ... See more
Do you use an on-line converter vs. your own stand-alone program? I received a beatiful pdf manual, 3.4 Mb in size, with pretty color pictures. I told the client that I cannot work from pdf, so she uploaded a Word file, equally pretty, but now 170 Mb, to a cloud server. DejaVu would not import it, so I had to take the color pictures out, which brought it down to 5.2 Mb. I had a lot of trouble in copying all the pictures back. Some went nicely, othera did not. I am wondering if I had been better off doing the pdf to Word conversion myself.Collapse

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:39
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Try Nitro reader Sep 5, 2012

It's a free pdf reader/editor. I think it has the conversion to Word feature.

http://www.nitroreader.com/

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Change formats Sep 5, 2012

Converted Word files are often bloated for some reason. Usually saving them to another format (docx, doc or rtf) will get rid of the bloat. You can then save it back to the original format.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 09:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
Stand-alone Sep 5, 2012

Diana Coada wrote:

It's a free pdf reader/editor. I think it has the conversion to Word feature.

http://www.nitroreader.com/

I just got Nitro installed on my new laptop, but I haven't used it yet myself. My tech guy says it's good. I'll check it out later...
I normally use Solid Converter on my other PCs and it works OK, but it's not great with scanned texts; you can download a trial version.
My friend uses Omnipage and it can handle scanned texts too, but it's more expensive...

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 10:39
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
If it's "genuine PDF" Sep 5, 2012

Studio converts it to Word very nicely- better than Nitro or other softs I have encountered. Just open the PDF in Studio and "save source as".

HTH,

Uldis

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not my job, mate Sep 5, 2012

finnword1 wrote:

I received a beatiful pdf manual, ,... so I had to take the color pictures out, which brought it down to 5.2 Mb. I had a lot of trouble in copying all the pictures back.

I don't see how this can be considered a translation task. I insist that my clients do this kind of donkey work themselves, and nag them constantly so that they DON'T send me unmanageable texts like this. Otherwise, I tell them I'll charge extra for all the time and effort involved - and that usually does the trick!

Diana Coada (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Make sure it's not a scanned pdf Sep 5, 2012

and whatever application you use should work just fine.

To convert a scanned pdf to Word, however, requires OCR, and for that you have to pay.

Diana Coada (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
@Neil Sep 5, 2012

neilmac wrote:

I just got Nitro installed on my new laptop, but I haven't used it yet myself. My tech guy says it's good. I'll check it out later...

I've been so happy with it for more than two years now (I have the Pro version). AFAIK, it was developed by some of the people that used to work at Adobe. And unlike Adobe, it's very light on the processor, it's very very cheap in comparison and has the most useful features only.

Rolf Kern
Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
My solution Sep 5, 2012

I use ScanSoft PDF Converter. Would this work in your case?

[Bearbeitet am 2012-09-05 19:14 GMT]

finnword1
finnword1
United States
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks everybody Sep 5, 2012

Yes, I am dealing with a true, searchable pdf and corresponding monster-sized Word file. My customer does not know which one came first. It is possible that her end client actually created the manual using Word, which should be a no-no. Color pictures and ovelay callouts do not have he same formatting and if the page breaks do not match in my translation, all bets are off. Anyway, the job has been delivered, and I learned a lot. Thanks again!

claudiabi
claudiabi
perhaps you can try Sep 5, 2012

Sumatra PDF
http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/free-pdf-reader.html

TextMaker Viewer
http://www.officeviewers.com

Hope it helps
claudia

Lennart Luhtaru
Lennart Luhtaru  Identity Verified
United States
English to Estonian
+ ...
Infix Pro Sep 6, 2012

I use Infix Pro for this. It let's me export PDF text as XML and import it back to Infix afterwards. It has its quirks, but usually it works great:)

See http://iceni.cachefly.net/infix/DemoMovies/Translation/Translation.swf

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
OCR for free with Wordfast Anywhere Sep 6, 2012

Diana Coada wrote:
To convert a scanned pdf to Word, however, requires OCR, and for that you have to pay.

FWIW, you can convert scanned PDF's for free with Wordfast Anywhere:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2011/10/12/converting-a-dead-pdf-to-word-with-wordfast-anywhere/

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
It depends Sep 6, 2012

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:
Studio converts it to Word very nicely- better than Nitro or other softs I have encountered. Just open the PDF in Studio and "save source as".

No single PDF converter does a better job than other converters with all PDF's. Studio uses the Solid PDF converter. Wordfast Pro and Déjà Vu use technology from BCL. One converter may do a better job with a given PDF, but another one may do a better job with another PDF.

You can use the BCL converter included in Wordfast Pro for free, as explained here:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2011/11/03/how-to-convert-pdf-files-with-wordfast-pro/

You will get an RTF that you can translate with any tool, not just Wordfast.

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Yes, sure, not all eggs in one basket Sep 8, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

No single PDF converter does a better job than other converters with all PDF's. Studio uses the Solid PDF converter. Wordfast Pro and Déjà Vu use technology from BCL. One converter may do a better job with a given PDF, but another one may do a better job with another PDF.

You can use the BCL converter included in Wordfast Pro for free, as explained here:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2011/11/03/how-to-convert-pdf-files-with-wordfast-pro/

You will get an RTF that you can translate with any tool, not just Wordfast.

Yes, we have several PDF converters, but lately we use Studio first. If any other provides better results, we sure go by that.

Uldis

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting PDF files to Word - advice needed

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »