Thread poster: Ludvig Glavati
Ludvig Glavati
Ludvig Glavati
Ukraine
Local time: 04:01
English to Russian
+ ...
Aug 12, 2012

I have been dictating translations for years, and then sending audio-records to my typists. It is really quick.

Then I prepare and align a bilingual table in MS Word or Excel, which easily is converted to TM for translating the document.

Though, it often bothered me to dictate directly from a document, especially technical texts. And I thought about TV announcer that speak looking at scrolling text (Marqee).

So I produced a Word macro which converts a doc-f
... See more
I have been dictating translations for years, and then sending audio-records to my typists. It is really quick.

Then I prepare and align a bilingual table in MS Word or Excel, which easily is converted to TM for translating the document.

Though, it often bothered me to dictate directly from a document, especially technical texts. And I thought about TV announcer that speak looking at scrolling text (Marqee).

So I produced a Word macro which converts a doc-file to MARQUEE (html-file) and adds speed control buttons to it.

I was amazed how much more easily it became!

Now I can dictate anything and anytime. Vividly moving text line stimulates perception, when you need to look into dictionary or anything you just pause it, if the meaning is clear you accelerate it.

See screen video at my website:
http://translatorsfactory.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54&Itemid=73.

And you can download the macro set at DOWNLOADS page.
Collapse

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Nice TF tool Aug 13, 2012

This tool, in its entirety, is really impressive, thanks for letting know.

One question before the run: if it starts to interfere with my MS Word 2003 (with .dot files it's a routine/standard issue), how it can be safely removed?
Does it write something in the registry or anywhere (God save me from knowing what's inside my machine's microchips)?
A couple of wise words for technical dummies, please.
Thank you,

Ludvig Glavati
Ludvig Glavati
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to handle macros and tempales Aug 13, 2012

Macro is a named code written in a dot-template.

When you add a template with macros in Tools->Templates dialog then you can run this macros, if you don't need them no more you just remove the template in the same dialog. Also you can remove macros individually in a template.

If you wish that a template is enabled at MS Word starting, copy it to Startup folder (in Widows XP usually C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Startup). If needed you can delete it from the
... See more
Macro is a named code written in a dot-template.

When you add a template with macros in Tools->Templates dialog then you can run this macros, if you don't need them no more you just remove the template in the same dialog. Also you can remove macros individually in a template.

If you wish that a template is enabled at MS Word starting, copy it to Startup folder (in Widows XP usually C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Startup). If needed you can delete it from the folder or disable in Templates dialog.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tool for dictating translation - Marquee

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »