Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 23:03
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Jul 26, 2012

Although this is not directly invovled with translation, it is causing me some headaches with my Internet research!

I am using (out of preference) an old version of Firefox (3.6), which is not supported by the latest version of Flash Player, which requires > 4. Unfortunately, stupid auto update went and updated me to the new version without telling me it was incompatible, and so now I'm stuck with a Firefox that can't play most videos ...
See more
Although this is not directly invovled with translation, it is causing me some headaches with my Internet research!

I am using (out of preference) an old version of Firefox (3.6), which is not supported by the latest version of Flash Player, which requires > 4. Unfortunately, stupid auto update went and updated me to the new version without telling me it was incompatible, and so now I'm stuck with a Firefox that can't play most videos

I have tried to find download sources for 'legacy' versions of either (or both) Flash Player or Firefox, but without success; I am determined not to ugrade to the latest version of Firefox, so am seeking to downgrade back to the previous version of Flash Player.

Could anyone please help me locate either the immediately previous version of Flash Player, or possibly an intermediate version of Firefox (anything > 4, but less than 11)?

I should add that I am also reluctant to migrate to a completely different browser — 'Luddite' is my middle name!

Thanks a lot in advance!
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Looking for older Flashplayers? No problem. Jul 26, 2012

Tony M wrote:

I have tried to find download sources for 'legacy' versions of either (or both) Flash Player or Firefox, but without success

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html#main_Archived_versions

Cristina Crişan
Cristina Crişan  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 00:03
English to Romanian
+ ...
adobe.com Jul 26, 2012

Hi, Tony.
All older versions of the Flash Player appear to be available for download on Adobe's website - apart from version 1, if there ever was one.
Here's the link, scroll down to older archives:
http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html

You can also find all previous releases of Firefox here:
... See more
Hi, Tony.
All older versions of the Flash Player appear to be available for download on Adobe's website - apart from version 1, if there ever was one.
Here's the link, scroll down to older archives:
http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html

You can also find all previous releases of Firefox here:
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/

[Edited at 2012-07-26 15:57 GMT]
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:03
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I think I've found what you're looking for Jul 26, 2012

Dear Tony,

This webpage http://www.oldapps.com/firefox.php offers many older versions of Firefox.

I don't know what you have against the current Firefox (14.0.1), but I have no problems with it.

I was in a similar situation with Thunderbird some time ago. I couldn't get on with Thunderbird 3, which kept asking me to compact files every few minutes, even if there
... See more
Dear Tony,

This webpage http://www.oldapps.com/firefox.php offers many older versions of Firefox.

I don't know what you have against the current Firefox (14.0.1), but I have no problems with it.

I was in a similar situation with Thunderbird some time ago. I couldn't get on with Thunderbird 3, which kept asking me to compact files every few minutes, even if there was nothing much in them at the time. If I let it compact files, the content of my Inbox would disappear for some minutes and sometimes forever. So I went back to Thunderbird 2, disabling the automatic update.
Some years later I tried the then latest Thunderbird on a laptop and it was fine. I have been using it and updating it regularly ever since (it's now on 14.0) on laptop and desktop, with no problems.

It might be worth trying the new Firefox and seeing if you still find it as objectionable as ever.

Best wishes,

Jack.
Collapse

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Why Jul 28, 2012

Tony M wrote:
I am using (out of preference) an old version of Firefox (3.6)

I'm just really curious why you would prefer to use a browser that is more than 2 years old and consequently has none of the latest security updates therefore making your system vulnerable; forget the many new features the browser has added in 2 years, just from a safety perspective working with such an old browser is risky.

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Simple Jul 28, 2012

Alex Lago wrote:

I'm just really curious why you would prefer to use a browser that is more than 2 years old ...

Quite simply because the newer versions do not support some features I use all the time: for example, the more recent versions do not support the Google toolbar, nor the RealPlayer downloader I use a great deal — and have lost one of the most useful features, that when you click on the '+' to open a new tab, it presents you with a selection of frequently-visited pages , along with a list of recently-bookmarked pages.

These are all features that I use constantly and add greatly to the ergonomics of F/fox for me.

The other very good reason is that the application has become SO big now, it can barely run on my poor old PC!

I am now in a worse situation than I was before: having unsuccessfully attempted to uninstall the most recently updated version of F/Player, I failed in my attempt to install an earlier version. I then tried installing F/fox v7 (which incidently still loses me much of what I mentioned above ) and then re-installing the latest version of F/Player, which tells me it has worked but hasn't!

So the end result is that I now have an intermediate version of F/fox that is not as good as my original version (but much bigger), and have lost all use of F/player.

I think I'll buy a pencil and an abacus...

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
OK Jul 28, 2012

Tony M wrote:
for example, the more recent versions do not support the Google toolbar

This isn't exactly true, what happened was Google stopped updating the Google Toolbar for Firefox and in fact Google themselves recommend you stop using it
https://www.google.com/intl/en/toolbar/ff/index.html

Tony M wrote:
when you click on the '+' to open a new tab, it presents you with a selection of frequently-visited pages , along with a list of recently-bookmarked pages.

The new tab page shows frequently visited pages and allows you to choose the websites you want it to display, though it won't display recently bookmarked pages.
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/new-tab-page-show-hide-and-customize-top-sites

Tony M wrote:
The other very good reason is that the application has become SO big now, it can barely run on my poor old PC!

Yeah this can be a pain, this is always a problem with updates they add size and processing needs to the original program.

Tony M wrote:
I am now in a worse situation than I was before: having unsuccessfully attempted to uninstall the most recently updated version of F/Player, I failed in my attempt to install an earlier version. I then tried installing F/fox v7 (which incidently still loses me much of what I mentioned above ) and then re-installing the latest version of F/Player, which tells me it has worked but hasn't!

You probably uninstalled using the program's uninstaller these usually leave traces in the registry which can then cause these problems. You will need to do a thorough uninstall and start over again, another option would be trying to go back to a prior system restore though I don't really know if that will work. Best bet is to look in the F/Player website for instructions on completely removing all traces of the program, do the same with Firefox and then reinstall the versions you want

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adobe Flash Player: earlier version?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »