MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 03:57
Italian to German
+ ...
Jul 12, 2012

Hello,

I would like to know what file types a PDF document in Adobe Acrobat can be saved to, especially if it can be saved to MS-Word and how good the conversion is compared to other professional tools like Abby Fine Reader or Scansoft products.

Thanks a lot for your replies, also for mentioning if possible the exact Adobe Acrobat version you refer to.

Greets,
Mike

Zoltán Kulcsár
Zoltán Kulcsár  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
many formats Jul 13, 2012

including .doc and .docx, but the result greatly depends on the format of the source document in all versions of Acrobat. In case of a (near) plain text you may get a satisfactory file, but in all other cases you usually get better of with real OCR

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Conversion vs. OCR Jul 14, 2012

Hi Zoltán,

thank you for your feedback. That's exactly the situation I want to know before investing in such software:
I'm using Abbyy Fine Reader for scanning images (mostly 'false' PDF files), where the OCR does a very fine job for my needs.
But I also have to convert on a regular basis PDF file to MS-Word (or else) and vice-versa. Recently, I did that with Abbyy, but the program doesn't convert, instead it scanns me the doc with OCR which I don't want because not r
... See more
Hi Zoltán,

thank you for your feedback. That's exactly the situation I want to know before investing in such software:
I'm using Abbyy Fine Reader for scanning images (mostly 'false' PDF files), where the OCR does a very fine job for my needs.
But I also have to convert on a regular basis PDF file to MS-Word (or else) and vice-versa. Recently, I did that with Abbyy, but the program doesn't convert, instead it scanns me the doc with OCR which I don't want because not reliable as a conversion (for instance sending invoices in PDF).

I want to compare software like Adobe Acrobat or Nuance Scansoft PDF Converter Professional for having more room for PDF creation, editing and ... hopefully also for good conversion operations.

Thank you,
Mike
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Acrobat vs. OCR Jul 14, 2012

Hi Mike,
in my experience, Acrobat usually saves the PDF document to Word either as an image, or as text while inserting a paragraph break at the end of each line. If you're working with a CAT tool, then such file is a nightmare.

In my opinion, a good OCR is clearly the winner: I use ABBYY FR as well and it usually does really a great job.

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm just trying the Scansoft PDF converter Jul 14, 2012

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Hi Mike,
in my experience, Acrobat usually saves the PDF document to Word either as an image, or as text while inserting a paragraph break at the end of each line. If you're working with a CAT tool, then such file is a nightmare.

In my opinion, a good OCR is clearly the winner: I use ABBYY FR as well and it usually does really a great job.

Hi Stanislav,
thanks very much for the advice, also in my other post.
I'm currently running a trial of Scansoft PDF Converter which has lots of features, inclusive also a 'light' OCR (not so complete as Abbyy and only for simple results). It's focused on creating/editing PDF files and converting them to MS-Word, Excel, Powerpoint and vice-versa. Also has a plugin for Firefox.
For quick operations there are 2 assistants, one for PDF creation, one for conversion operations which both give very neat results by just using default settings.

I think that this software together with Abbyy Fine Reader (for OCR jobs) would resolve most PDF questions, also when importing in a CAT.

Btw, DVX2 does a pretty good job in importing PDFs, but tables will be somewhat disordered at the export (to rtf file).

Thanks,
Mike

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
DVX2 and PDF Jul 15, 2012

MikeTrans wrote:
Btw, DVX2 does a pretty good job in importing PDFs, but tables will be somewhat disordered at the export (to rtf file).

Hi Mike,
yes, I know that. I think the main advantage of DVX2 over other CATs here is in the inclusion of CodeZapper which is indeed very helpful.

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
Acrobat X Jul 16, 2012

I have Acrobat X standard, which I would never have considered buying due to the hefty price tag (more than 400 euros), but it shipped free with my computer. It does the best OCR conversions I've ever seen, rendering most PDFs, be they dead or alive, into properly formatted Word docs, with the paragraph breaks in the right places etc., and requiring only minor fixes before being suitable for translation. Thanks to this tool, I prefer my clients to send me their original PDFs rather than converti... See more
I have Acrobat X standard, which I would never have considered buying due to the hefty price tag (more than 400 euros), but it shipped free with my computer. It does the best OCR conversions I've ever seen, rendering most PDFs, be they dead or alive, into properly formatted Word docs, with the paragraph breaks in the right places etc., and requiring only minor fixes before being suitable for translation. Thanks to this tool, I prefer my clients to send me their original PDFs rather than converting them to docs themselves with inferior tools that end up costing me more work.

Olly
Collapse

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... Jul 16, 2012

Hi Olly,

that's interesting, thanks for your feedback.
Mike

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Really? Jul 16, 2012

Olly Pekelharing wrote:

I have Acrobat X standard, which I would never have considered buying due to the hefty price tag (more than 400 euros), but it shipped free with my computer.

Hi Olly,
are you sure you received a full license? I bought a new laptop machine recently and it came with Acrobat X Standard as well, but just the 30-days trial version. Hence, bloatware.

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
Yep, full version Jul 16, 2012

Hi Stanislav,

Yep, a full license.

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Interesting Jul 16, 2012

Interesting, indeed. Thanks for the info, Olly.

Gladys Wiezel
Gladys Wiezel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:57
English to Portuguese
TGB for Adobe Acrobat X Aug 2, 2012

I believe this tool could be very useful to many of us, since Olly vows for the goods results in exporting PDF files to editable formats.
I would certainly enter in a TGB pool.
I see the price is US$299 in their site.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi folks Aug 2, 2012

Just wanted to recommend you a tool that I have discovered recently, gave it a try and bought immediately as the results were brilliant: Wondershare PDF Converter Pro

Try it - you will be surprised!

Natalia

Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:57
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
I am interested in a group buy for Acrobat Sep 3, 2012

Gladys Wiezel wrote:

I believe this tool could be very useful to many of us, since Olly vows for the goods results in exporting PDF files to editable formats.
I would certainly enter in a TGB pool.
I see the price is US$299 in their site.

Hi Gladys,

I am also interested in a Translator Group Buy for Acrobat Adobe X. I am currently using the trial version and it will come to an end soon. Can we organize a group buy for this?

That would be great if we could get something together. The price is quite high for this.

Sarah

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adobe Acrobat questions

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »