Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:47
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Jul 12, 2012

Dear Colleagues,

Could somebody recommend how to mark out different languages in a document?
Does a spell checker-based macro or application or whatever exist, which can mark out the languages in real time?

[Edited at 2012-07-12 21:27 GMT]

After a very brief online research, not being an IT engineer, I've seen that these tools are called "language tagger," "language guesser"; there are plenty of detailed descriptions of algorithms.

[Edited at 2012
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

Could somebody recommend how to mark out different languages in a document?
Does a spell checker-based macro or application or whatever exist, which can mark out the languages in real time?

[Edited at 2012-07-12 21:27 GMT]

After a very brief online research, not being an IT engineer, I've seen that these tools are called "language tagger," "language guesser"; there are plenty of detailed descriptions of algorithms.

[Edited at 2012-07-13 08:53 GMT]
Collapse

Ludvig Glavati
Ludvig Glavati
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Find/Replace->Format->Language : Replace selected language with some special format Aug 12, 2012

MS Word automatically recognizes languages in a document. So :

In Find/Replace dialog set cursor to "Find" text field, open Format->Language and choose one you need.

Then set cursor to "Replace" text field, open Format and select some specific formatting for the chosen language, for example "Highlighted".

I used this for bilingual documents (Italian/English). Highlighting Italian text and then removing it (Find/Replace "Highlighted" to "") I evaluated the
... See more
MS Word automatically recognizes languages in a document. So :

In Find/Replace dialog set cursor to "Find" text field, open Format->Language and choose one you need.

Then set cursor to "Replace" text field, open Format and select some specific formatting for the chosen language, for example "Highlighted".

I used this for bilingual documents (Italian/English). Highlighting Italian text and then removing it (Find/Replace "Highlighted" to "") I evaluated the volume of English text.

However consider that language recognition is not 100%, especially for non-translatable text (numbers, etc.).

[Редактировалось 2012-08-12 00:44 GMT]
Collapse

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Italian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Ludvig Aug 12, 2012

Unfortunately, in my fully and properly licensed MS Word 2003 something there should be missing, since no format replacement takes place even in a couple of lines (one line in English, another in Italian). If I set Italian (with or without spellcheck), it highlights nothing. If I select English US or GB (with or without spellcheck), it highlights both lines.
Thank you a lot anyway for your attention,

Gennady

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multilingual document: how to mark out/tag in real time

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »