Translation of pdf with Indesign?
Thread poster: R.M.Torres
R.M.Torres
R.M.Torres  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:46
French to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 22, 2012

How can I translate a pdf file with pictures. What is the software I need? Can I do it with Adobe Indesign? Which version is necessary? Is it possible to download it from the Internet?

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Rip it up Jun 22, 2012

If possible, I'd strip out the images, convert the text to Word or TXT, translate it and then put it back together - or better still, get the client (or as I call them when they send me awkward formats like this to translate, "perpetrators") to do it, or simply supply you the text in a more workable format.

Otherwise you are looking at a huge can of worms there in my opinion, unless of course they are paying you premium rates, in which case you can spend as long as you like struggl
... See more
If possible, I'd strip out the images, convert the text to Word or TXT, translate it and then put it back together - or better still, get the client (or as I call them when they send me awkward formats like this to translate, "perpetrators") to do it, or simply supply you the text in a more workable format.

Otherwise you are looking at a huge can of worms there in my opinion, unless of course they are paying you premium rates, in which case you can spend as long as you like struggling with what was never intended to be a text modification tool in the first place.

Other colleagues may disagree.
Collapse

Paula Greyling
Paula Greyling  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:46
Member (2004)
English to French
+ ...
Send back to the perpetrator or charge more Jun 22, 2012

I entirely agree with neilmac! I liked the term "perpetrators"

Now, reasonable clients will generally, if they own the documents used to create the PDF, agree to forward you the files in a more practical format once you have explained the issue.
However sometimes, the only thing the client has is the PDF, in such case ask for a premium or drop the job, it will not pay for your time!

[Edited at 2012-06-22
... See more
I entirely agree with neilmac! I liked the term "perpetrators"

Now, reasonable clients will generally, if they own the documents used to create the PDF, agree to forward you the files in a more practical format once you have explained the issue.
However sometimes, the only thing the client has is the PDF, in such case ask for a premium or drop the job, it will not pay for your time!

[Edited at 2012-06-22 10:42 GMT]
Collapse

Leo Young
Leo Young  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 17:46
English to Chinese
+ ...
OCR Jun 22, 2012

Normally, if the image is text form, I use OCR (optical character recognition) software to identify the words in image, translate them in word file and convert it into PDF at last.

If the image is a diagram or chart, I may crop the words and list the translation in bilingual comparison table under the image, which definitely depending on your client's requirements.

You ca
... See more
Normally, if the image is text form, I use OCR (optical character recognition) software to identify the words in image, translate them in word file and convert it into PDF at last.

If the image is a diagram or chart, I may crop the words and list the translation in bilingual comparison table under the image, which definitely depending on your client's requirements.

You can download the open source OCR software here: Free OCR

Adobe acrobat can also OCR.

[修改时间: 2012-06-22 11:47 GMT]
Collapse

Leo Young
Leo Young  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 17:46
English to Chinese
+ ...
Yes, 'perpetrators'! Jun 22, 2012

neilmac wrote:

Otherwise you are looking at a huge can of worms there in my opinion, unless of course they are paying you premium rates, in which case you can spend as long as you like struggling with what was never intended to be a text modification tool in the first place.

Other colleagues may disagree.

I agree that translation agencies should be professional enough to handle with these kind of issues. They should deal with or pay more for DTP work.

christela (X)
christela (X)
You can translate most PDFs with translation software (CAT) Jun 22, 2012

But NOT with InDesign, even if it has been obtained by this software. PDF is an output format. You cannot go back from PDF to InDesign.

So ask for the source file in InDesign and translate that with a CAT or directly in the software (it can be downloaded on the internet and you can try it for one month), and once you have finished you create a new updated PDF. Or ask for the source text in Word or Excel.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Needs must Jun 22, 2012

Leo Young wrote:

You can download the open source OCR software here: Free OCR

Adobe acrobat can also OCR.

[修改时间: 2012-06-22 11:47 GMT]

My friend uses Omnipage OCR from Nuance and I think it can handle more awkward formats than Adobe or Solid Converter, which is the one I use for PDFs. It is also more expensive though.

George Luca
George Luca  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:46
German to Romanian
+ ...
Another way to proceed Jun 22, 2012

If .pdf files contain rather complicated images (drawings), in order to avoid OCR-software to decompose or agglutinate pictures, I use the following way: open the file with Infix PDF Editor (not free, but I am sure you can find a reasonably priced solution on the internet) and export to .xml file, translate the .xml file with a feline (CAT-tool). I usually use Across (its free and you do not need an .ini file or advanced knowledge, but I suppose that there are some other (cloud) solutions to ... See more
If .pdf files contain rather complicated images (drawings), in order to avoid OCR-software to decompose or agglutinate pictures, I use the following way: open the file with Infix PDF Editor (not free, but I am sure you can find a reasonably priced solution on the internet) and export to .xml file, translate the .xml file with a feline (CAT-tool). I usually use Across (its free and you do not need an .ini file or advanced knowledge, but I suppose that there are some other (cloud) solutions to translate .xml files) and import it back to .pdf file. In some cases a little bit DTP-work is needed after importing the translation as the length of sentences may be different. Don’t be afraid of Infix PDF Editor, it takes you less than 15 minutes to learn to handle it. If you do not want to use a CAT-tool for translation, you can work directly in Infix PDF Editor. In this case no export to .xml file or back import is needed. When working with Infix PDF Editor, either directly or by using a CAT- tool, the final result will be a .pdf file. If source .pdf files contain less complicated images and more text, I use OCR-software (in my opinion Abbyy FineReader is the best) and translate the resulting file with TagEditor. The final result of this latter way of proceeding will be a .doc file that has to be converted to .pdf format. I must confess that I have no experience (not at all) with CAT-tools claiming to handle directly .pdf format.Collapse

samehme
samehme
United States
Local time: 02:46
English to Arabic
+ ...
Use InDesign INX or IDML format Jun 22, 2012

The way to translate InDesign files with Trados:

For InDesign CS3 or CS4, you can (or ask the client) to Export to INX format (InDesign Interchange format). Then, import or open this with Trados based on the version of Trados you are using. After translating it, you can Save Target As within Trados to the INX format with the target language of course. Then, the PDF can be exported from InDesign.

For InDesign CS4 or later (CS5, CS5.5 or CS6), you can export to IDML (InDe
... See more
The way to translate InDesign files with Trados:

For InDesign CS3 or CS4, you can (or ask the client) to Export to INX format (InDesign Interchange format). Then, import or open this with Trados based on the version of Trados you are using. After translating it, you can Save Target As within Trados to the INX format with the target language of course. Then, the PDF can be exported from InDesign.

For InDesign CS4 or later (CS5, CS5.5 or CS6), you can export to IDML (InDesign Markup Language file), which can be imported/opened with Trados for translation, and then Save Target As to IDML format.

Both formats INX and IDML will contain the Links to images, but the images are not needed to perform the translation, and when the client opens the file, he/she can relink the images. This said, the file you will be working on will be in a relatively small size file.

However, if there are images/ diagrams / charts with text that needs to be localized, then these images will need to be done with the native Software that they were created with.

Good luck...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of pdf with Indesign?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »