Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:58
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
You can have both May 31, 2012

You can use Outlook on your main computer and online interface on others. This app: http://support.google.com/a/users/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=153871 lets you synchronize emails on your Outloon with online server.

Cheers
S

Ali Alsaqqa
Ali Alsaqqa  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:58
English to Arabic
Trust Me !! May 31, 2012

Dear Pauliina Kauppila, I have used the following:

Email Accounts: Gmail, Hotmail & Yahoo.
Email client: Outlook and Thunderbird.
Email Backup: dropmysite

Bottom line: I now use Gmail only, and here's how and why.

1) As "Daina Jauntirans" mentioned, there are some very cool features in Gmail:

a) Conversations (Email sent and replied to it) are shown in Threads, which
makes life a LOT easier (later,
... See more
Dear Pauliina Kauppila, I have used the following:

Email Accounts: Gmail, Hotmail & Yahoo.
Email client: Outlook and Thunderbird.
Email Backup: dropmysite

Bottom line: I now use Gmail only, and here's how and why.

1) As "Daina Jauntirans" mentioned, there are some very cool features in Gmail:

a) Conversations (Email sent and replied to it) are shown in Threads, which
makes life a LOT easier (later, Hotmail also implemented this feature)

b) Labels & Filters. The first act as the ordinary "folders" in Outlook, while the
later acts as the "rules". Using both of them, you can have emails from certain
clients automatically labeled and moved to the appropriate "folder".

c) Gmail "notifier" is a small application that you installs to your PC and acts
as Outlook notifications, appearing at the bottom right of the screen (although
I do not use it)

d) "Canned Responses". Save and then send your common messages using a button
next to the compose form. [you need to enable this from the 'labs' first].

e) "Unread message icon" See how many unread messages are in your inbox
with a quick glance at the tab's icon. [you need to enable this from the 'labs'].

And much more in the labs!

2) As for the desktop client, you can indeed synch your Gmail with Thunderbird, I do this
in my office's desktop, very simple, but I think Gmail alone is enough.

3) As for the back up, let me say: WHY? Do you really think Google isn't reliable enough?
I do not need email back up anymore because if Google mail is going to be lost forever then
no other system will be intact at that moment

Hope that helps!

[Edited at 2012-05-31 18:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-05-31 18:59 GMT]
Collapse

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:58
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Sorting? May 31, 2012

I am a happy Gmail user, but... find it annoying that it has no sorting capability - say you want free up some space by deleting your e-mails with the largest attachments, or just want to go to your oldest e-mails and starting deleting - Outlook handles it just fine, but Gmail just shows you twenty at a time and then it's select-all, delete, maybe uncheck one you want to save, then repeat. It's fine for your daily e-mail needs, but terrible as an archive.
Of course, I know that's asking t
... See more
I am a happy Gmail user, but... find it annoying that it has no sorting capability - say you want free up some space by deleting your e-mails with the largest attachments, or just want to go to your oldest e-mails and starting deleting - Outlook handles it just fine, but Gmail just shows you twenty at a time and then it's select-all, delete, maybe uncheck one you want to save, then repeat. It's fine for your daily e-mail needs, but terrible as an archive.
Of course, I know that's asking too much of webmail, but it's still one area where Outlook will always win out.
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:58
French to English
useful opinions! Jun 1, 2012

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Pauliina Kauppila wrote:
Another colleague recommended using Gmail through Thunderbird, so perhaps I should look into that.

I'm useless in this area, so my opinion ain't worth a lot. But I do know that I like Gmail, with its ability to sync across smartphone and laptop. I also know I downloaded Thunderbird and I do sometimes sort of use it. But I hate it so I never delete things from Gmail. BTW, there is a Gmail Notifier that will bring up a flag (with optional "ping") when new mail arrives.

My only real complaint about Gmail is the search feature - searching on name has to be so specific that if you can't remember exactly what someone's email address is, nor what you called them in your contacts list, then you're down to browsing through the lot or searching for a likely character string in the body.

Sheila

Actually Sheila I would say that being in a similar helpless position regarding techie issues your opinion is worth an awful lot. Because if you can handle it, there's a chance that I can!

Pauliina Kauppila
Pauliina Kauppila  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:58
Member (2007)
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 2, 2012

Dear all,

Thank you very much for your comments, opinions and advice. It has been very interesting and illuminating to hear about the various mail solutions people use. I suppose that what is the best system for you ultimately depends on your personal preferences and what you are comfortable with.

All the best,

Pauliina

Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:58
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
I love Outlook! Sep 6, 2012

I must say that I really love Outlook. I just wish it wasn't so expensive as I am using a trial and have to decide if it's worth it or not.

I love the fact that you can categorize items with different colors and organize everything according to order of priority. I also have not got one single bit of spam ever since I started using it. This was not the case when I used G-mail where I received a lot of spam every day. Now I still used G-mail in addition to my main e-mail address but
... See more
I must say that I really love Outlook. I just wish it wasn't so expensive as I am using a trial and have to decide if it's worth it or not.

I love the fact that you can categorize items with different colors and organize everything according to order of priority. I also have not got one single bit of spam ever since I started using it. This was not the case when I used G-mail where I received a lot of spam every day. Now I still used G-mail in addition to my main e-mail address but it is accessible through my Outlook.

I did not like how the messages were displayed in G-mail. Sometimes the messages kept getting lost. For example, if I had an e-mail from a particular person and clicked on it but then that person sent another e-mail after that their new message would get hidden in a sort of "cascade" style system of folders which I hated.

I love how in Outlook each e-mail has its own separate line so you won't miss anything.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Email management - Gmail/Outlook/both?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »