Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Dedicated forum for CafeTran: anyone interested?
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:16
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Dec 22, 2011

I think that CafeTran should given its own dedicated forum in 'CAT Tools Support' (in the Proz Technical forums):

http://www.proz.com/?sp=forum&action=Overview&viewcat=3

I asked Proz staff if we could create one and they told me that 'the community must request one'. That is, they need to see active interest.

Can everyone who would
... See more
I think that CafeTran should given its own dedicated forum in 'CAT Tools Support' (in the Proz Technical forums):

http://www.proz.com/?sp=forum&action=Overview&viewcat=3

I asked Proz staff if we could create one and they told me that 'the community must request one'. That is, they need to see active interest.

Can everyone who would like to see CafeTran get its own forum in CAT Tools Support please let yourself be known here...?

Thanks,

Michael
Collapse

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:16
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Cafetran forum Dec 22, 2011

Yes, I second that. I'd like to get more proficient with CT.

Wolfgang

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CafeTran Espresso 2012 just released Dec 22, 2011

Thanks Wolfgang,

I actually only very recently discovered CafeTran, with the release a few days ago of 'CafeTran Espresso 2012', but have been amazed by it so far.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:16
Finnish to French
+1 Dec 22, 2011

Michael Beijer wrote:

I support this view!

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Yes please Dec 23, 2011

I tested only the previous version not the latest CafeTran Espresso 2012 but it really deserves a dedicated forum at ProZ.com

Selcuk

Jing Nie
Jing Nie
China
Local time: 01:16
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Unstable software Dec 23, 2011

I just downloaded it and opened a ttx file( 5M in size). I find this software is so unstable, I only press pagedown button in the software for several times, it closed suddenly. I tried several times and it always shutdown suddently.
Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

I tested only the previous version not the latest CafeTran Espresso 2012 but it really deserves a dedicated forum at ProZ.com

Selcuk

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Any stable software? Dec 23, 2011

Jing Nie wrote:

I just downloaded it and opened a ttx file( 5M in size). I find this software is so unstable, I only press pagedown button in the software for several times, it closed suddenly. I tried several times and it always shutdown suddently.

There are bugs in all CAT tools, they are reported by users at forums like this and fixed by the developers.

I don't think it is fair to say "unstable" for a product you just downloaded, it may be a bug or user-related problem. Did you read the Help file or restarted your computer after installation?

There may be bugs in CafeTran, I don't know really, but in any case it deserves a Forum at ProZ, like all other CAT tools.

Selcuk

Jing Nie
Jing Nie
China
Local time: 01:16
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I am not against set-up a forum for CafeTran. Dec 23, 2011

In fact, I am talking about it.
Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

There are bugs in all CAT tools, they are reported by users at forums like this and fixed by the developers.

I don't think it is fair to say "unstable" for a product you just downloaded, it may be a bug or user-related problem. Did you read the Help file or restarted your computer after installation?

There may be bugs in CafeTran, I don't know really, but in any case it deserves a Forum at ProZ, like all other CAT tools.

Selcuk

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Cafetran and TTX Dec 23, 2011

Michael Beijer wrote:
I actually only very recently discovered CafeTran, with the release a few days ago of 'CafeTran Espresso 2012', but have been amazed by it so far.

I haven't tested it extensively, but it claims TTX support and the user manual says nothing about limitations, so I tested a TTX file on it. Cafetran sees only segments that have been pre-segmented. If a paragraph has more than one sentence, but only one of the sentences have been pre-segmented, then Cafetran sees only those pre-segmented sentences, though thankfully it does not destroy the other non-segmented text.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
pre-segment them in Workbench Dec 23, 2011

About TTXs, it seems to be the same as with other tools: it is always best to pre-segment them in Workbench.

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Cafetran Dec 24, 2011

I think Cafetran has a tremendous potential and also a tremendous frustration potential because it's so hard to grasp the great variety of features due to a different approach with respect to other CAT tools. If we can manage to get together with a nice group of CAT tool experts like for example Dominique, with the help of Hans' blog and if we can finally get a rewritten manual (sorry Igor, I know you have a lot of work at hand ) I... See more
I think Cafetran has a tremendous potential and also a tremendous frustration potential because it's so hard to grasp the great variety of features due to a different approach with respect to other CAT tools. If we can manage to get together with a nice group of CAT tool experts like for example Dominique, with the help of Hans' blog and if we can finally get a rewritten manual (sorry Igor, I know you have a lot of work at hand ) I think we'll sort it out for everyone.
Wish you all the very best for Xmas and a happy new year.

Wolfgang
Collapse

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TTXs Dec 24, 2011

I think only Trados Studio does not require pre-segmentation of TTX files anymore.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Own forum for CafeTran Espresso 2012 please Dec 25, 2011

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

I support this view!

I'd like to see a dedicated forum for CafeTran too.

Hans

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Swordfish can pre-segment too? Dec 25, 2011

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

I think only Trados Studio does not require pre-segmentation of TTX files anymore.

I'm not sure, but I think Swordfish can pre-segment TTX too.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Same here Dec 25, 2011

Hans Lenting wrote:

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

I support this view!

I'd like to see a dedicated forum for CafeTran too.

Hans

I'd also like to see a CafeTran dedicated forum as it seems to be currently the only available CAT tool to translate Apple iWork formats (Pages, Numbers and Keynote) directly.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dedicated forum for CafeTran: anyone interested?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »