Suggestions for file renaming applications please.
Thread poster: Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:14
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Dec 19, 2011

I've got about 100 files that I want to rename. All I want to do is add _EN onto the end of each one.

Can anyone suggest an application that they use and would recommend for this task?

Thanks!

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:14
Finnish to French
Try Bulk Rename Utility Dec 19, 2011

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
I've got about 100 files that I want to rename. All I want to do is add _EN onto the end of each one.
Can anyone suggest an application that they use and would recommend for this task?

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk

Ulrika Mansson
Ulrika Mansson
German to Swedish
+ ...
or windows commander! Dec 19, 2011

http://www.ghisler.com/
Files -> Multi-rename Tool and and write what ever you want to add before or after the name in the first field. Very easy, very fast.
Ulrika

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TCMD Dec 19, 2011

Ulrika Mansson wrote:

http://www.ghisler.com/
Files -> Multi-rename Tool and and write what ever you want to add before or after the name in the first field. Very easy, very fast.
Ulrika

No need to say more. TCMD is a civilized Windows user's first option for bulk file renaming.

BTW, for particularly complex rename jobs I use a batch file. It's fairly easy to do and gives you the power to do anything you want. The batch file is a txt with a .bat extension, containing "ren "oldfilename" "newfilename"", one rename job per line. It's pretty easy to generate the .bat using TCMD (to grab a list of the original file names) and some combination of Excel, MS Word and Notepad++ (for regex support). If you have 1000 files and you need to replace spaces with _ in the filenames, or remove the third letter of each name unless the filename contains the letter k, or replace, remove or add any string, you can get in done in a minute with this system.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Geeky, not civilized Dec 19, 2011

FarkasAndras wrote:
No need to say more. TCMD is a civilized Windows user's first option for bulk file renaming.

I'd say "geeky" rather than "civilized". Batch files, regex, command prompts and the like are not necessarily the typical translator's first choice.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
? Dec 19, 2011

Dominique Pivard wrote:

FarkasAndras wrote:

I'd say "geeky" rather than "civilized". Batch files, regex, command prompts and the like are not necessarily the typical translator's first choice.

... which is why I say TCMD (Total Commander) is a civilized Windows user's first option. Using TCMD doesn't require you to know a first thing about batch files, regex or the command prompt. It's a simple and foolproof but powerful GUI solution. I'd be willing to bet my Spanish dictionary that it's not more difficult to use than whatever bulkrenameutility.co.uk has to offer.

[Edited at 2011-12-19 21:27 GMT]

Michael Grant
Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 13:14
Japanese to English
Advanced Renamer Dec 20, 2011

I use the free, drag and drop: Advanced Renamer (www.advancedrenamer.com).

It has all kinds of options for choosing new file names, gives you a preview of the new names, and indicates whether there would be any conflicts between file names.

I highly recommend it!

MGrant

[Edited at 2011-12-20 00:46 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Let the original poster choose what she needs Dec 20, 2011

FarkasAndras wrote:
... which is why I say TCMD (Total Commander) is a civilized Windows user's first option. Using TCMD doesn't require you to know a first thing about batch files, regex or the command prompt. It's a simple and foolproof but powerful GUI solution. I'd be willing to bet my Spanish dictionary that it's not more difficult to use than whatever bulkrenameutility.co.uk has to offer.

OK, I won't argue with that. The original poster (Emma) can choose what she wants: a commercial Swiss-army knife that also slices bread or a free utility that does just what she asked. Sometimes, when all you need is drive a nail in, a hammer is sufficient...

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone Dec 20, 2011

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and lively discussion!
In the end I downloaded Total Commander and it did the job for me in a split second.
Thanks again,
Emma
@ Dominique. Hopefully I'll learn to cut more than just sliced bread with it

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Do tell us if you end up buying it! Dec 20, 2011

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
@ Dominique. Hopefully I'll learn to cut more than just sliced bread with it

Do tell us if you find it useful enough by the end of the trial period to purchase it!

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
OT Dec 21, 2011

FarkasAndras wrote:
... which is why I say TCMD (Total Commander) is a civilized Windows user's first option.

It is anyways for those of us who grew up on Norton Commander back in DOS times.

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Bulk Rename Utility Mar 16, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Do tell us if you end up buying it!

A very late update to say that I didn't buy Total Commander in the end, and thanks to your recommendation I'm now a happy user of Bulk Rename Utility.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestions for file renaming applications please.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »