United Kingdom
Local time: 17:51
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Nov 24, 2011

A company called Logrus has recently released a free TMX editor:

http://www.logrus.ru/pages/en-tmxeditor.aspx

The TMX Editor is a simple yet powerful tabular TMX data editor and has a range of unique and convenient functions built in:

tmx-files splitting/combining
tmx-file creation for the target language pair
export/import into s... See more
A company called Logrus has recently released a free TMX editor:

http://www.logrus.ru/pages/en-tmxeditor.aspx

The TMX Editor is a simple yet powerful tabular TMX data editor and has a range of unique and convenient functions built in:

tmx-files splitting/combining
tmx-file creation for the target language pair
export/import into several other popular file formats
searching units and text fragments with wildcard features
tag cleaning (HTML, XML and RTF tags are supported)

Wordbook.nl

The program is still only at 0.9.7 Alpha, but it already contains quite a few interesting things, such as the commands:

– Global delete RTF markup
– Global delete XML tags Level 1
– Global delete XML tags Level 2, and
– Global restore original (with which you can automatically remove various kinds of (possibly) useless code from your TMs)

as well as the ability to Filter on various things, reverse TMs, etc.

Check out the video: ('Simple Table Editor for TMX files for Moses') http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL163F2AC22467C301&feature=viewall which was part of Open Technology Exchange, TAUS 2011, and where I found out about it first.

Michael
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:51
English to Hungarian
+ ...
free Nov 24, 2011

When I saw "free" I got interested, but it turns out it's not free software (as in: it's not open source). It's only free in the monetary sense. Logrus seems like a legit company, so I'd expect it to be malware free, but I'd be much more enthusiastic if it was open source.
I do my TMX maintenance in Studio and a text editor so I don't particularly need a TMX editor, but I guess I might install this in a virtual machine if I need advanced features of some sort.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
? Nov 24, 2011

Just out of curiosity, why the virtual machine?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Free Nov 24, 2011

FarkasAndras wrote:
When I saw "free" I got interested, but it turns out it's not free software (as in: it's not open source). It's only free in the monetary sense.

For users, the meaning of "free" that matters is the monetary one. It is only for programmers and activists that the other meaning of "free" becomes relevant. Some people believe that programs are written for programmers first and for users second. Indeed, some people would call a product "free" even if no user is capable of using it, as long as programmers can.

Logrus seems like a legit company, so I'd expect it to be malware free, but I'd be much more enthusiastic if it was open source.

Even if it was open source, I would not have been able to tell if the program contained malware. The theory is, of course, that if opensource contains malware, it would eventually become known, and people would eventually know to avoid that particular piece of software. In practice that principle only works for highly popular programs, though.

I tried the program, and it looks good. It didn't try to phone home, FWIW.

Tis a pity one can't choose to save as UTF8 (with or without BOM), although it can open UTF8 TMX files. It appears to have some fairly powerful find/replace and filtering options (though I didn't test it). It's also a pity that it can't read and write the Wordfast TM format, although it can write Trados TXT and tab-delimited formats.

[Edited at 2011-11-24 20:05 GMT]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Safety Nov 24, 2011

Michael Beijer wrote:

Just out of curiosity, why the virtual machine?

Because it's from an unkown source (unknown to me - this is the first time I hear about the company). In a VM, it can't do much harm even if it contains malware.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Sure Nov 24, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

FarkasAndras wrote:
When I saw "free" I got interested, but it turns out it's not free software (as in: it's not open source). It's only free in the monetary sense.

For users, the meaning of "free" that matters is the monetary one.

For most users, sure, and that's fine. Most users don't need to know about that distinction.
The reason why I got a bit exicted is that if it was open source, I might use the code in my own projects. I'd also be be a bit more sure it's kosher and more willing to install it, of course.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:51
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Any proof? Nov 25, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

For users, the meaning of "free" that matters is the monetary one. It is only for programmers and activists that the other meaning of "free" becomes relevant. Some people believe that programs are written for programmers first and for users second. Indeed, some people would call a product "free" even if no user is capable of using it, as long as programmers can.

Do you have any proof of this statement? Any survey maybe? The very first answer in this topic was from a user whose concept of free software is clearly not about the money. So is mine.

BTW, neither the English, nor the Russian version of the program home page has any mention of “free” or “freeware” at all. Thus, the topic heading is obviously false and misleading.

[Edited at 2011-11-25 08:39 GMT]

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
you can't be serious Nov 25, 2011

esperantisto wrote:

BTW, neither the English, nor the Russian version of the program home page has any mention of “free” or “freeware” at all. Thus, the topic heading is obviously false and misleading.

[Edited at 2011-11-25 08:39 GMT]

Excuse me, but saying that my topic heading is 'false and misleading' is really quite silly. For all practical purposes, the program is free. That is, if you are a translator, and you are doing actual translation work (as opposed to talking about it, or theorising about better, more open ways of doing it), then you can use this program without having to pay for it to help you in your work.

I do not care if it is open source or closed source, or made by Apple or Microsoft, or hand-coded by Richard Stallman himself on his Lemote Yeelong netbook by candlelight. It works, and I can use it for free. Period.

Watch the video by Leonid Glazychev (from Logrus) and decide for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAk4R-BtqsM&list=PL163F2AC22467C301&index=3&feature=plpp_video

Michael

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
The meaning of free Nov 25, 2011

FarkasAndras wrote:

When I saw "free" I got interested, but it turns out it's not free software (as in: it's not open source).

The meaning of "free software" is somewhat misleading... I guess "Freeware" is a more clearly defined term.

The term "freeware" is commonly used for closed source or proprietary software, but since the term is related to price (and not issues like license terms, availability of the source code or copyright status) it can also be applied to free software/open-source software.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeware

[Edited at 2011-11-25 10:33 GMT]

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:51
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I’m serious Nov 25, 2011

Michael Beijer wrote:

Excuse me, but saying that my topic heading is 'false and misleading' is really quite silly. For all practical purposes, the program is free.

Who says, it’s free? First, there is no such statement on the program home page, no statement of terms of use at all. Second, the program is still in alpha state and there’s no declaration of their distribution policy for the final release. Third, freeware and free software are not the same thing. Could you provide their license agreement, as it’s not available on the site?

XX789 (X)
XX789 (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Legit Nov 25, 2011

What I can say is that Logrus is definitely legit. I've worked with them on several occasions.

David Jessop
David Jessop  Identity Verified
Laos
Spanish to English
+ ...
How does this compare with Olifant? Nov 26, 2011

Can anyone who has used Olifant and tried this new software weigh in? How does it compare in terms of features, usability, speed, etc.?

Thanks!

Vilma Alvarado
Vilma Alvarado  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks Nov 27, 2011

Thank you Michael for sharing the information!

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@David Nov 30, 2011

It doesn't really seem to do anything new, and I think it might actually be better to focus on the new version of Olifant that is being planned / worked on at the moment...

I just read this on the Okapi Tools Yahoo list (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/okapitools/):

"Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:54 pm

Hi everyone,

As some of you kn... See more
It doesn't really seem to do anything new, and I think it might actually be better to focus on the new version of Olifant that is being planned / worked on at the moment...

I just read this on the Okapi Tools Yahoo list (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/okapitools/):

"Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:54 pm

Hi everyone,

As some of you know, Olifant (a TM editor) is the one application we have not ported over when we re-created the Okapi tools using Java. Lack of time and higher priorities have been conspiring to delay that so far.

I think it's time to change that

It will take some time, so the .NET Olifant will be still there for some months. I'm also not sure what form the Java application will ultimately take, as we have many new ideas, but we'll try to improve on what the current Olifant
offers.

So now is a good time to provide your input and requirements. We have a list of the requests for the old version, but it may be still useful to send us an email with your list of features for an ideal TM editor. Try to order your list of requirements by importance.

I apologies in advance if we don't always acknowledge your input (anything that can save time... but be assure that it will be taken into account.

Looking forward to the input,
-yves" (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/okapitools/message/2172)
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

vTMXEditor :: New free TMX editor!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »