Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 01:39
Member (2003)
French to English
I also loved the simplicity of TO3000 version 7 Nov 1, 2011

Deborah Shannon wrote:

Am I alone in loving the simplicity of TO3000v7 ? I'm used to the file structure and it meets my needs perfectly. Please can you just make it run on Windows 7?

Otherwise can the new version please have a setting that replicates the TO3000v7 experience?
Another request would be a one-step tool for importing version 7 data into the new version.

I have never liked having to upgrade to 8 and now 9.

efreitag wrote:

1. Please get rid of the project/job structure (at least optionally). For me, and I think for a lot of members of TO's target group as well, this is absolutely useless and makes working with TO unnecessarily complicated.

Other suggestions, far less important:

2. Make invoice numbering fully configurable (for example: counting by day, or month, instead of by year).

I like both of these suggestions.

Michael Beijer wrote:

make the Projects/Jobs optional.

Right, this sounds like a good solution. Some like this, I don't happen to have a need for it.

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
Local time: 07:39
French to English
+ ...
My suggestions Nov 1, 2011

I've read through all 8 pages of suggestions. Here are mine. Please bear in mind I still use version 8. I have an automated system using autohotkey that does things like automatically creating my MemoQ (or DVX if I want to) projects based on the information I type into TO3000, or automating the invoicing process (I hit a hotkey, which opens up completed, uninvoiced jobs, I then select the job, the applicable taxes and the language and the invoice is created automatically, translated if applicabl... See more
I've read through all 8 pages of suggestions. Here are mine. Please bear in mind I still use version 8. I have an automated system using autohotkey that does things like automatically creating my MemoQ (or DVX if I want to) projects based on the information I type into TO3000, or automating the invoicing process (I hit a hotkey, which opens up completed, uninvoiced jobs, I then select the job, the applicable taxes and the language and the invoice is created automatically, translated if applicable, turned into a pdf and added to a new e-mail with a default message that contains the invoice number). That's why I decided to "skip a version", so I didn't have to reprogramme my macros. Anyway, here are my suggestions. Apologies for anything that's already in v9.

Regarding the projects vs. jobs structure, I believe the best way of doing this would be to enable word counts or fixed rates in the project window. That way, users who want only one layer could use the "project" layer (which would be the equivalent of what was a "job" in v7), but others could enter no money information in the project layer and add jobs within that project. I'd certainly find this useful, as some projects do consist of just a single job, but other times the system of jobs within a project is useful. Hope this makes sense. If not, please say and I'll try to explain better.

In terms of portability, I'd like to keep the database permanently on my external hard drive. I already have my business folder on there. The only thing preventing me from being able just to plug my hard drive into my laptop and launch TO3000 is that I can't store my database on the external hard drive. Please make it possible to change the location.

I second Samuel Murray's suggestion of client types for tax purposes. If I could enter such information and include it in my job exports, it would make filing my tax returns much quicker, as I wouldn't need to enter it in manually on my Excel spreadsheet. The only thing I'd add would be that sometimes it would be useful to be able to change this on a per-project or per-job basis, since some types of translations are exempt from VAT in some countries.

The expenses section should be improved on. I gave up on entering my expenses many moons ago, which is a shame, as it means I cannot calculate profits, only income. But the current expenses section is too basic. Also, it would be nice to be able to enter expenses for a particular project or job. For example, if I outsourced the proofreading of a translation of mine, it would be nice to be able to include that expense within the project. That way, at the end of the project I could work out how much profit I've made.

It would be helpful to be able to move a project to a different client. Occasionally I'll get a job from, say, a university lecturer and I'll assume the invoice is for the university. But then at the last minute I'll be told that this job has to be invoiced to the lecturer, not the university. Unfortunately I have to delete the entire project (and I have to delete the jobs before I can delete the project!) and create a new one for the new client.

If I've made a mistake in an invoice and it's no longer the most recent invoice, I should be able to correct the mistake and create a new invoice with the same invoice number. I know the correct way of doing it at the moment is to "void" the invoice, but the tax authorities can get suspicious if there's an invoice number "missing". At the moment, if I want to keep the original invoice number I have to delete any more recent invoices first, then create them all again.

Group of services should be independent of the language combination, so once I've added "editing" for, say, French-English it should also be available for Catalan-English.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:39
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
some more UI ideas... Nov 6, 2011

Taken from a program called 'Artemis Accounts' (http://www.aquilatechnology.com/software.htm ):

Wordbook.nl

Wordbook.nl

Wordbook.nl

Now doesn't that look a lot more fun and friendly?

[Edited at 2011-11-06 02:07 GMT]

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
More flexible folder creation Nov 10, 2011

If ver. 10 allows to skip projects, I would like to have more flexibility in folder creation. In general, it would be nice if the folder names could be assembled from the variables already present in the system - an example main folder for a job might be defined as:

\\__

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
We need to be able to select (copy) text in TO3000 Nov 11, 2011

OK, here is a very important problem I have with TO3000:

it is impossible to select any of the text in (most of) the program in order to copy/paste it.

I very often just need to copy an invoice code or something that I am looking at in (e.g. in 'Invoices to clients') ... but nothing can be selected!

Can this be fixed in the new version? This is actually a very useful feature that many programs have, and I think one that is particularly needed in a
... See more
OK, here is a very important problem I have with TO3000:

it is impossible to select any of the text in (most of) the program in order to copy/paste it.

I very often just need to copy an invoice code or something that I am looking at in (e.g. in 'Invoices to clients') ... but nothing can be selected!

Can this be fixed in the new version? This is actually a very useful feature that many programs have, and I think one that is particularly needed in a program of this type.

Michael
Collapse

Shawn Champion
Shawn Champion  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
Look at it from the user's POV Nov 16, 2011

Shawn Champion wrote:

There is no satisfactory reason for the absence of this. Telling us to create separate jobs within a project for each line item is ridiculous. The proz.com invoicing feature even has this, it can't be that difficult to implement.

Dear Shawn, if you use Clone button from Tree tab of Project window, you can create client jobs just in one click. Then you will need only to edit few fields. Could you please write us what is ridiculous for you?

Best regards,
Aleksandr.
----------------------------------------------
Aleksandr Dyatlov,
AIT Software Development Team

[Edited at 2011-10-27 12:35 GMT] [/quote]

Aleksandr,

You're looking at it from a software developer POV, not from the user POV. You want me to make one invoice with every possible line item, clone it, then delete and edit a bunch of things to make it fit the actual work done.

I want to click on an "add line" button and simply add what I need. Does that sound reasonable?

Rob Grayson
Rob Grayson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Remember units used for each client Nov 16, 2011

When creating a new job, the billing units (i.e. "source words" or whatever) seem to be set to whatever was selected last time a job was created, even if that job was for a different client. Since billing units seem to vary on a per client basis (at least for me), it would be useful if the program remembered the units used for that specific client, and not just the last units used. Another way to do this would be to have a "Default billing unit" that the user configures in the main details of ea... See more
When creating a new job, the billing units (i.e. "source words" or whatever) seem to be set to whatever was selected last time a job was created, even if that job was for a different client. Since billing units seem to vary on a per client basis (at least for me), it would be useful if the program remembered the units used for that specific client, and not just the last units used. Another way to do this would be to have a "Default billing unit" that the user configures in the main details of each client.Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Structure Nov 16, 2011

Shawn Champion wrote:
You're looking at it from a software developer POV, not from the user POV. You want me to make one invoice with every possible line item, clone it, then delete and edit a bunch of things to make it fit the actual work done.

I want to click on an "add line" button and simply add what I need. Does that sound reasonable?

I am sorry, but this suggestion simply does not make sense... To do it this way a whole data substructure would have to be created, to accomodate different items. Just look at the job table - each job has specific rate, unit etc. If one job could have several "items", with different units etc. then the whole hierarchy would have to be changed.

Just look at it this way - a job, is, in fact and for all purposes a "line item", just like they appear on the invoices. The bigger entity that you are after is project. So just call the "project" a "job", the "job" a "line item" and you have exactly the setup you wanted.

Klaus Lauble
Klaus Lauble  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Suggestions: Global Search, VAT registration for business expenses, Simplify job deadline entry Nov 23, 2011

Hi all,

I've been using TO3000 V 9 for 3 years now and I'm pretty happy with the product. Nevertheless, I have some suggestions for the next version:

1. Search functionality for searching all the jobs in the job list by keyword, project name, job name etc. (I know there is the method via setting up a Local Custom Filter, but that is too cumbersome in daily operation. What I imagine is a search screen which I invoke via Ctrl-F and just enter my search criteria.). This se
... See more
Hi all,

I've been using TO3000 V 9 for 3 years now and I'm pretty happy with the product. Nevertheless, I have some suggestions for the next version:

1. Search functionality for searching all the jobs in the job list by keyword, project name, job name etc. (I know there is the method via setting up a Local Custom Filter, but that is too cumbersome in daily operation. What I imagine is a search screen which I invoke via Ctrl-F and just enter my search criteria.). This search function could be further extended to work across the whole database, thus enabling free text search for clients, contacts, projects, in short for all the contents of the database.

2. The Business Expenses feature in the current version does not allow for registering VAT, thus it is pretty much useless in all countries where you have to pay VAT on Business Expenses and where you are required by law to report and claim your VAT expenses regularly. I would expect the feature to allow me to list all the VAT incurred for a selected quarter or business year.

3. And a minor annoyance: As things are now, when specifying the deadline for a job, in the Edit Client Job dialog you have to click once on the little arrow under "Deadline:" for selecting the date, then once again for entering the time. Why can't this dialog just remain open after entering the date, so as to be able to enter the time directly?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Klaus
Collapse

Klaus Lauble
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
One more desirable feature: Save different Locale Format settings Dec 2, 2011

There's one more thing I want to suggest:

Create an option to save the Locale Format settings in settings files. Other than the default locale format, I mainly use one or two other format settings for virtually all of my other clients (for which I don't use the default locale format). It would be extremely handy if I could save those rather than having them to adjust manually each time. Thanks

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
time>date Dec 2, 2011

Klaus Lauble wrote:

As things are now, when specifying the deadline for a job, in the Edit Client Job dialog you have to click once on the little arrow under "Deadline:" for selecting the date, then once again for entering the time. Why can't this dialog just remain open after entering the date, so as to be able to enter the time directly?

Klaus

I've discovered that if you change the time before the date, the dialog box doesn't disappear and so then you can enter the date immediately.

Ivaylo Ivanov
Ivaylo Ivanov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Filed-based folder structure Dec 2, 2011

In the new v10, I'd like to have a custom folder structure.

Outside TO3000, I organize my files by client, then the client folder contains folders named by its end-client (set as a custom filed), then the projects, and finally the job assigned date and the job name.

Client A
Microsoft
Windows
2011-01-01 Job Name
2011-02-14 Job Name
MS Office 2007
2006-03-09 Job Name
MS Office 2010
... See more
In the new v10, I'd like to have a custom folder structure.

Outside TO3000, I organize my files by client, then the client folder contains folders named by its end-client (set as a custom filed), then the projects, and finally the job assigned date and the job name.

Client A
Microsoft
Windows
2011-01-01 Job Name
2011-02-14 Job Name
MS Office 2007
2006-03-09 Job Name
MS Office 2010
Opel
Zafira

Adobe
Client B
Client C

My wish is that I can set up the folder stucture, so when I click on Create folder button, TO3000 v10 will create the folder in the correct place.

The files path and structure must be determined by the user, maybe by setting it up using filed names, e.g.

D:\TO3000\CLIENT_NAME\END_CLIENT\PROJECT_NAME\JOB_ASSIGNED_DATE_YYYY-MM-DD+JOB_NAME\
Collapse

Klaus Lauble
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Thanks for your tip, Emma Dec 14, 2011

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

I've discovered that if you change the time before the date, the dialog box doesn't disappear and so then you can enter the date immediately.

Hi Emma,

Thanks a lot for your tip, works great! This will avoid me some unnecessary mouse clicking in the future. (Since this is just the opposite way than "normal" logic, I guess I would have never found out by myself...)

Cheers,
Klaus

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Just in case you forget... Dec 30, 2011

WE NEED AN UNDO BUTTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aleksandr Dyatlov (AIT)
Aleksandr Dyatlov (AIT)
Local time: 08:39
TOPIC STARTER
Beta-version of TO3000, version 10 is announced! Jan 5, 2012

Dear Colleagues,

Thank you for all your suggestions.

We would like to inform you that the open beta-testing of TO3000, version 10 is announced. We tried to implement the most part of suggestions, you have written. Now everybody can take part in the beta-testing of the program. All active beta-testers will receive the 50% discount on TO3000 and 3 the most active beta-testers will receive TO3000, Version 10 free of charge.

To submit to beta-testing of TO3000,
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

Thank you for all your suggestions.

We would like to inform you that the open beta-testing of TO3000, version 10 is announced. We tried to implement the most part of suggestions, you have written. Now everybody can take part in the beta-testing of the program. All active beta-testers will receive the 50% discount on TO3000 and 3 the most active beta-testers will receive TO3000, Version 10 free of charge.

To submit to beta-testing of TO3000, please fill the form at http://www.to3000.com/download.html

Then you will receive the further instructions and the download link.

Please find more information about TO3000, version 10 below.

Translation Office 3000 is a translation workflow management system for freelance translators and small translation agencies. TO3000 helps translators to optimize the accounting and project management tasks. TO3000 keeps track of all current projects, create price quotes, issues template-based invoices, and gives a precise overview of accounts receivable at any time. The program is database-driven, and it helps to keep all customers’ information in one place, including phone numbers, addresses, e-mail addresses as well as additional information such as customized prices for specific clients.

TO3000, Version 10 is upgraded and enriched with the new features:

- Now projects are optional. You can create jobs directly in client profiles, bypassing projects.
- Fully Unicode-based.
- TO3000, Version 10 was fully re-written in the modern programming environment Delphi XE.
- New Firebird Server 2.5.
- Improvements in connection speed.
- Custom fields for Invoices are now available.
- TO3000 now can be run under all common virtual machine software.
- Improved interface. Now TO3000 has more comfortable and modern interface.
- AnyCount 7.0 Enterprise. TO3000 now includes built-in Enterprise edition of wordcount engine AnyCount 7.0. Additionaly to previous version it supports PPTX, PPSX, PUB, VSD, SLP, BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG and graphic PDF count.
- Job volume is re-counted automatically if volume unit has been changed.
- Local Custom Filter now allows to filter jobs by both completed date and status (yes/no).
- Major improvements in filtering by Custom Fields using Local Custom Filter.
- Major improvements in Local Report block.
- Improved calendar. Now you can type date, month and year data in calendars manually.
- New version of integrated report engine Fast Report 4.9 is included.
- Discounts and taxes now are remembered for clients.
- Projects now has a special field to indicate projects based on quotes.
- Multiple bug fixes and enhancements.

We will be thankful if you will provide us the any feedback about features and functionality, improvement requests, usability and performance issues as well as bug reports.

Best regards,
Aleksandr
------------------------------------------------------
Aleksandr Dyatlov
AIT Software Development Team.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestions for Translation Office 3000 (TO3000), Version 10

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »