Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 14:28
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
POs... Jul 13, 2011

Any chance for import/automatic processing of POs? This would really make my work easier...

Aleksandr Dyatlov (AIT)
Aleksandr Dyatlov (AIT)
Local time: 15:28
TOPIC STARTER
Answers Jul 15, 2011

Dear colleagues,

Please find the answers below.

Natalie wrote:

I mean that I am unable to see from the TO folders, even in the Business folder, if I give them names other than set in the TO options.

Moreover, to be even clearer: I have a special disk partition for translations; there are about 80 folders for clients, each having such subfolders as year - months - dates. I keep this structure since 2001, and I would like to keep it further. Also, I don't wish moving all or part of my folders to "Business", I just don't need this. Thus linking an existing job folder (from the location of my choice) to the TO job record would be an ideal solution of the problem. It would be excellent if this could be done.

Natalie, thank you for your suggestion. We will consider the possibilities to implement this feature in one of the next versions of TO3000.

efreitag wrote:

1. alerts me when a client's invoice is overdue for more than the number of days that I previously set for this client;
2. allows me to produce the corresponding payment reminder (with the template I set for this client, and automatically include pre-set late payment fees, interests, and a new payment date);
3. is able to handle all this on different levels of escalation;
4. keeps account of all this in the list of invoices.

Erik, thank you for your suggestion. We will consider the possibilities to implement e-mail reminders in one of the next versions of TO3000. By the way, currently we would like to suggest you to use Clients > Invoices to Clients window to display all your invoices. In this window you can use filters to find out, for example, all outstanding invoices.

Aude Sylvain wrote:

Sorry I wasn't clear enough: what I would like is to be able to report more information than only the project/job title in the schedule, so I can see e.g. the word count of all pending works at a glance. I am not sure a filter will allow that.

Aude, thank you for your suggestion. We have not added any additional information to schedules because there is a very little space to add some extended data about jobs. But we will consider the possibilities to extend information on schedules optionally in one of the next versions of TO3000. By the way, using Local Custom Filter, you will be able to find out, for example, jobs with a specified range of word count.

Jabberwock wrote:

Any chance for import/automatic processing of POs? This would really make my work easier...

Jarosław, in what way would you like to perform importing/automatic processing of POs in TO3000?

Best regards,
Aleksandr.

Pavel Janoušek
Pavel Janoušek  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
German to Czech
+ ...
Automatic selection of a project Jul 15, 2011

Hi Aleksandr,

Needless to say that I really appreciate your tool. Thank you for keeping it developing and sharing your ideas with us.

This is my suggestion for version 10:

In the New Jobs Wizard (step 2 of 2), I always only have a single client project to choose from. It appears to be preselected (it is hightlighted), but you still have to click on it to confirm the selection. Otherwise, it says that you must select a project before clicking on Finish. Mayb
... See more
Hi Aleksandr,

Needless to say that I really appreciate your tool. Thank you for keeping it developing and sharing your ideas with us.

This is my suggestion for version 10:

In the New Jobs Wizard (step 2 of 2), I always only have a single client project to choose from. It appears to be preselected (it is hightlighted), but you still have to click on it to confirm the selection. Otherwise, it says that you must select a project before clicking on Finish. Maybe you could change the programming so that the single project is selected without me first having to click on it.

Best regards,
Pavel

[Upraveno: 2011-07-15 13:48 GMT]
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Any way... Jul 15, 2011

Aleksandr Dyatlov wrote:

Jabberwock wrote:

Jarosław, in what way would you like to perform importing/automatic processing of POs in TO3000?

I receive all my POs as electronic documents, so it seems a waste of time to have it entered or copied one field after another manually, not to mention that it increases the chance of errors.

Naturally, the documents I receive have very different formats, structures etc. I do not expect TO3000 to accomodate that. However, as for a single client the structure is always the same and very rigid, I am perfectly capable of converting the POs - by means of text scripting, automated OCR, etc. - into a simple table (Excel or CSV) wich contains all information required to issue a job. All that is missing is the "last mile" - ability to import into TO job data from that table (e.g. based on the table headings). What's important is that each line would generate a single job automatically.

In my particular case it would save me a lot of time - I have one client, for example, for whom I have to enter up to twenty (!) jobs per month. Even doing that outside TO3000 completely does not help much - I still have to track each job from the table and maintain the total manually.

In a longer perspective, it would not hurt to develop a typical PO format template. I am not saying that all agencies would adopt it immediately, they are rather inflexible bunch, but given popularity of TO3000 enough of them could be convinced to make a difference. After all, they all use automated systems anyway, so one more output format should not be too much.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
text colours in active rows Jul 16, 2011

Hi Aleksandr,
Is there any chance of making the text colour change in the projects and client jobs lists when the active row (dark blue) makes it almost impossible to read the green (deadline in the future) text? I know I can customise the status colour, but green is fine except when it coincides with the active row.

Under the main tab this works fine, with names of clients in black except in the active row when the text automatically changes to white.

How does an
... See more
Hi Aleksandr,
Is there any chance of making the text colour change in the projects and client jobs lists when the active row (dark blue) makes it almost impossible to read the green (deadline in the future) text? I know I can customise the status colour, but green is fine except when it coincides with the active row.

Under the main tab this works fine, with names of clients in black except in the active row when the text automatically changes to white.

How does anyone else cope with this? I've tried different colour combinations and can't find a reasonable solution for the active row problem.

Best,
Emma
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
round up from 5 Jul 18, 2011

TO3000 rounds down to two decimal places when the next digit is a 5.
This conflicts with most systems (including agencies' automatic online project management systems) that always round a 5 up, not down.

e.g. 1455 x 0.095 = 138.225
TO3000 rounds this down to 138.22, whereas I need it to say 138.23

That means that at the moment I have to enter a flat fee into TO3000 to avoid a number being rounded down.

Please make this an option, or use it by d
... See more
This conflicts with most systems (including agencies' automatic online project management systems) that always round a 5 up, not down.

e.g. 1455 x 0.095 = 138.225
TO3000 rounds this down to 138.22, whereas I need it to say 138.23

That means that at the moment I have to enter a flat fee into TO3000 to avoid a number being rounded down.

Please make this an option, or use it by default.
Thanks,
Emma
Collapse

Rob Grayson
Rob Grayson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:28
French to English
A couple of minor improvements Jul 19, 2011

Hi Aleksandr,

I've been using TO3000 for a few years now, and am overall very happy with it. While the projects/jobs structure might not be to everyone's liking, I'm used to it and it works well for me, so I would hate to see it taken away.

Here are two relatively minor problems that it would be nice to see fixed:

1. In the "Invoices to clients" screen, when an invoice has been settled, the "Status" column indicates how many days early or late it was paid,
... See more
Hi Aleksandr,

I've been using TO3000 for a few years now, and am overall very happy with it. While the projects/jobs structure might not be to everyone's liking, I'm used to it and it works well for me, so I would hate to see it taken away.

Here are two relatively minor problems that it would be nice to see fixed:

1. In the "Invoices to clients" screen, when an invoice has been settled, the "Status" column indicates how many days early or late it was paid, or whether it was exactly on time. IMO it would be much more useful if this column showed the actual date on which the invoice paid (or if another column was made available showing the actual payment date).

2. When exporting data from the "Invoices to clients" screen to Excel, the data is not always correctly formatted. In particular, the dates shown in the "Sent" column appear to be formatted in text format, which makes it very difficult to sort the data in date order in Excel. Is it possible for you to make sure that dates are properly formatted as dates when exported to Excel?

Finally, I have one other suggestion: once you've used TO3000 for a while, it becomes a gold mine of client data. However, the built-in reports only allow that data to be interrogated in quite limited ways. The available "custom reports" are more or less useless to me, and cannot actually be customised at all (or barely). Do you have any plans to make more flexible/customisable reporting available? (I realise that Projetex is much more flexible, but being a freelancer I don't need anything that complicated – it would just be nice to have a little more data interrogation/reporting power than TO3000 currently offers).

Thanks in advance,

Rob
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
One more thing Jul 19, 2011

The feature for mass payments is quite useful - entering each one of them manually is a bit tiresome. However, this means that the payments are entered on this particular day, throwing the early/late information off.

It would be useful to have an option for mass payments "Settled on/before due date". This would be quite enough for me - knowing which clients pay early is not that essential, however, picking the consistent late payers is.

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
potential clients folder Jul 20, 2011

Hi Aleksandr,
I like to keep track of clients who have contacted me and asked me for my rates. Sometimes they become actual clients and sometimes they just remain potential. I use an Excel spreadsheet for these potential clients.

Could there be a way of entering potential clients details and rates offered, so they could be switched to "actual clients" at a later date or if not just be kept as a potential client?

I was thinking of adding a new client called "potent
... See more
Hi Aleksandr,
I like to keep track of clients who have contacted me and asked me for my rates. Sometimes they become actual clients and sometimes they just remain potential. I use an Excel spreadsheet for these potential clients.

Could there be a way of entering potential clients details and rates offered, so they could be switched to "actual clients" at a later date or if not just be kept as a potential client?

I was thinking of adding a new client called "potential" and entering potential clients as individual projects but I think this would confuse my workflow in TO3000.

So could we have a "potential clients" folder and icon in the lefthand margin?

Thanks,
Emma

P.S. I am very new to TO3000 (in fact I've only just added my name to the Group Buy here). After trying it out unsuccessfully a few years ago (when I couldn't understand the project/job set-up) I have persevered this time and can really see that it makes client and job management easier. It wasn't so hard to do in the end! And invoincing will be so much quicker at the end of this month than before when I was using Excel spreadsheets.
But I'm really missing the 3 features I've mentioned in this thread:
- active row font display
- rounding up (not down) when the next digit is 5
- adding a potential clients folder

So it would be great if these features were added to the next version.
Collapse

Aleksandr Dyatlov (AIT)
Aleksandr Dyatlov (AIT)
TOPIC STARTER
Answers Jul 20, 2011

Dear colleagues,

Thank you for your suggestions.

Please find the answers below:

Pavel Janoušek wrote:

In the New Jobs Wizard (step 2 of 2), I always only have a single client project to choose from. It appears to be preselected (it is hightlighted), but you still have to click on it to confirm the selection. Otherwise, it says that you must select a project before clicking on Finish. Maybe you could change the programming so that the single project is selected without me first having to click on it.

Pavel, thank you for your suggestion. We will fix this issue in the next version of TO3000.

Jabberwock wrote:

Naturally, the documents I receive have very different formats, structures etc. I do not expect TO3000 to accomodate that. However, as for a single client the structure is always the same and very rigid, I am perfectly capable of converting the POs - by means of text scripting, automated OCR, etc. - into a simple table (Excel or CSV) wich contains all information required to issue a job. All that is missing is the "last mile" - ability to import into TO job data from that table (e.g. based on the table headings). What's important is that each line would generate a single job automatically.

Jarosław, thank you for your suggestion. We will consider the possibility to extend the functionality of TO3000 Import Utility in the next version of the program.

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Emma, we would like to suggest you to customize a color of jobs and projects that have deadlines in the feature. For example, if green color is acceptable for you but it is hard to read such projects/jobs with dark blue selection, you can change this color to light-green. Thereafter titles of jobs will become more readable. You can change colors of statuses in Settings > Personal > ‘Colors: Statuses’.

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

This conflicts with most systems (including agencies' automatic online project management systems) that always round a 5 up, not dow.

TO3000 operates with Gaussian rounding. This method uses the Gauss rule that if you are in an perfect half case, you must round to the nereast digit that can be divided by 2 (0,2,4,6,8). This rule is important to obtain more accurate results with rounded numbers after operation.

This method is the unbiased rounding and is the default rounding mode used in IEEE 754. It is a technical standard the most widely used for floating-point computation.

Please find a sample which illustrate advantages of Gaussian rounding below:

Unrounded 27.25 + 27.45 + 27.55 = 82.25

"Standard" Rounding: 27.3 + 27.5 + 27.6 = 82.4

"Gaussian rounding": 27.2 + 27.4 + 27.6 = 82.2

Rob Grayson wrote:

The most likely we will do it optional in TO3000, Version 10.

Rob Grayson wrote:

1. In the "Invoices to clients" screen, when an invoice has been settled, the "Status" column indicates how many days early or late it was paid, or whether it was exactly on time. IMO it would be much more useful if this column showed the actual date on which the invoice paid (or if another column was made available showing the actual payment date) .

Rob, thank you for your suggestion. We will consider the possibilities to add a special column to display an actual date in which an invoice has been paid in the next version of TO3000.

Rob Grayson wrote:

Finally, I have one other suggestion: once you've used TO3000 for a while, it becomes a gold mine of client data. However, the built-in reports only allow that data to be interrogated in quite limited ways. The available "custom reports" are more or less useless to me, and cannot actually be customised at all (or barely). Do you have any plans to make more flexible/customisable reporting available? (I realise that Projetex is much more flexible, but being a freelancer I don't need anything that complicated – it would just be nice to have a little more data interrogation/reporting power than TO3000 currently offers).

TO3000 has the same powerful built-in engine for reports creation as Projetex. This engine calls FastReport. The only difference that Projetex has newer version of FastReport than TO3000. The next version of TO3000 will have the latest version of FastReport too. Also it will have much more built-in default reports than the current version of the program.

You can create your own custom reports or change existing ones in Settings > Advanced > Custom Reports. Also you can download a detail manual for FastReport from our web-site http://version7.projetex.com/images/stories/files/documents_pdf/CustomReports_ReportEngine_Guide.pdf

I would like to notice that to create and edit custom reports, some basic knowledge of SQL is suggested.

Jabberwock wrote:

The feature for mass payments is quite useful - entering each one of them manually is a bit tiresome. However, this means that the payments are entered on this particular day, throwing the early/late information off.

It would be useful to have an option for mass payments "Settled on/before due date". This would be quite enough for me - knowing which clients pay early is not that essential, however, picking the consistent late payers is.

Jarosław, thank you for your suggestion. We will consider the possibility to implement such functionality for Mass Payments option.

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

I was thinking of adding a new client called "potential" and entering potential clients as individual projects but I think this would confuse my workflow in TO3000.

So could we have a "potential clients" folder and icon in the lefthand margin?

Emma, in this case we suggest you to create a new client as a usual client in TO3000 and specify some contact information about him in the Client Profile tab. Then you can create a custom field (it will be in a new tab near the Client Profile tab), in which you can specify any additional information according to your requirements, e.g. ‘Potential client’ checkbox. By the way, you can mark such clients using special flag markers in the right column of the client list. For example, you can mark all potential clients with a blue flag, all accepted clients with a green flag, etc. To mark a client with a flag, please click on a cell opposite a client’s name and choose an appropriate color of the flag.

To create a custom field for the Main tab of the Clients section, please click Settings > Advanced, click Custom Fields and click New buttons to create a group of custom fields or a custom field. Thereafter please specify a name, a type and a variable of this field. I would like to notice that the variable, which you have specified, you will be able to use in RTF templates to generate documents.

Thereafter you will be able to display only a required group of clients in TO3000 using Local Custom Filter and specifying there an appropriate search criteria.

Best regards,
Aleksandr.
----------------------------------------------
Aleksandr Dyatlov,
AIT Software Development Team

[Edited at 2011-07-20 14:52 GMT]

Rob Grayson
Rob Grayson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:28
French to English
Thanks... but you missed one Jul 20, 2011

Aleksandr,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, and for the info about FastReports.

You missed replying to my second point, which I repeat here:

2. When exporting data from the "Invoices to clients" screen to Excel, the data is not always correctly formatted. In particular, the dates shown in the "Sent" column appear to be formatted in text format, which makes it very difficult to sort the data in date order in Excel. Is it possible for you to make sure tha
... See more
Aleksandr,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, and for the info about FastReports.

You missed replying to my second point, which I repeat here:

2. When exporting data from the "Invoices to clients" screen to Excel, the data is not always correctly formatted. In particular, the dates shown in the "Sent" column appear to be formatted in text format, which makes it very difficult to sort the data in date order in Excel. Is it possible for you to make sure that dates are properly formatted as dates when exported to Excel?

Thanks,

Rob
Collapse

Aleksandr Dyatlov (AIT)
Aleksandr Dyatlov (AIT)
TOPIC STARTER
Format of "Sent" Column Jul 20, 2011

Dear Rob,

Thank you for you reminder. Please accept my apologies that I missed this question. Yes, I think we will fix this problem in the next version of TO3000. Currently as a workaround I would like to suggest you to manually select "Sent" column and change its type to "Short Date".

Best regards,
Aleksandr.
Aleksandr Dyatlov,

Jaroslaw Michalak
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Further customization of the invoice template Jul 20, 2011

The invoice templates, while quite customizable, could be improved further. For example, the text for the payment terms "Within x days" seems to be hardcoded. It would be useful to customize the string as well (of course, with a proper placeholder for the number of days), for example for invoices in local languages.

Speaking of which, it would be nice to be able to use an alternate set of variables for bilingual invoices. For example, if I use on the first page the variable \SERVICE
... See more
The invoice templates, while quite customizable, could be improved further. For example, the text for the payment terms "Within x days" seems to be hardcoded. It would be useful to customize the string as well (of course, with a proper placeholder for the number of days), for example for invoices in local languages.

Speaking of which, it would be nice to be able to use an alternate set of variables for bilingual invoices. For example, if I use on the first page the variable \SERVICE\ which results in "Translation", on the second page \ALT\SERVICE\ would give "Tłumaczenia".

I realize this might take a lot of effort, so maybe there is a simpler way to do it...
Collapse

Aleksandr Yarosevich (AIT)
Aleksandr Yarosevich (AIT)
Ukraine
Further customization of the invoice template Jul 21, 2011

Dear Jarosław, thank you for your suggestion. We will consider the
possibility to add a variable which will display a number of days from
payment terms in generated invoices in the next version TO3000. As a
workaround we would like to suggest you to specify a number of days in
“Additional Notes” field of “Edit Payment Terms” window (e.g.
“W ciągu 10 dni”). Thereafter you will be able to display a
content of this field in your invoices using
... See more
Dear Jarosław, thank you for your suggestion. We will consider the
possibility to add a variable which will display a number of days from
payment terms in generated invoices in the next version TO3000. As a
workaround we would like to suggest you to specify a number of days in
“Additional Notes” field of “Edit Payment Terms” window (e.g.
“W ciągu 10 dni”). Thereafter you will be able to display a
content of this field in your invoices using
\CLIENT_PAYMENT_TERMS_NOTES\ variable.

Jabberwock wrote:

Speaking of which, it would be nice to be able to use an alternate set
of variables for bilingual invoices. For example, if I use on the first
page the variable \SERVICE\ which results in "Translation", on the
second page \ALT\SERVICE\ would give "Tłumaczenia".

You may use conditional constructs to replace certain English words
with their Polish translations in your documents. The syntax of
condition constructs in RTF templates of Projetex is the following:
\IF(condition)\ Reaction \ELSIF(condition) Reaction \ENDIF\.

For example:
\if(UNITS=’words’)\
słowa
\elsif(UNITS=’hours’)\
godziny
\endif\

This structure will replace unit “words” with “słowa” and unit
“hours” with “godziny” in your jobs documents.

For your sample "Translation" -> "Tłumaczenia" you can use the
following conditional construct:

\if(SERVICE=’Translation’)\
Tłumaczenia
\endif\

By the way, you can change Language Settings of TO3000 to Polish in
Settings > Language > Polish. Thereafter many titles in templates will
be changed to Polish (like Payment Terms, Invoicing Policy, etc). If
you want to change names of Services, Group of Services, Units, etc. to
Polish, you can do it in Settings > Business.

Best regards,
Aleksandr

Aleksandr Yarosevich,

[Edited at 2011-07-21 12:12 GMT]
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Language settings Jul 21, 2011

By the way, you can change Language Settings of TO3000 to Polish in
Settings > Language > Polish. Thereafter many titles in templates will
be changed to Polish (like Payment Terms, Invoicing Policy, etc). If
you want to change names of Services, Group of Services, Units, etc. to
Polish, you can do it in Settings > Business.

Yes, but most of my invoices are bilingual (English for the client, Polish for the tax authorities), so if I switch languages, I would then have the same problem with English...

Besides, as you noted, most important parts are variable (i.e. coming from the Jobs window) anyway, so change of the interface will not make much difference.

I perfectly know that the effort required here (alternate strings for the whole Jobs structure) might not be justified by the gain, other features will be more useful...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestions for Translation Office 3000 (TO3000), Version 10

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »