Babylon software - what do people think? Alternatives?
Thread poster: Joachim Dietlicher MSc (BDÜ) (X)
Joachim Dietlicher MSc (BDÜ) (X)
Joachim Dietlicher MSc (BDÜ) (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:17
English to German
+ ...
Feb 13, 2011

Hi there,

Just wondering what fellow translators think about the Babylon software, please.

Also, what about alternatives to Babylon, please.

Thanks for your opinions!

Joachim

2GT
2GT  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Lingoes Feb 13, 2011

Joachim Dietlicher:
Also, what about alternatives to Babylon, please.

Lingoes is a very good and *free* alternative to Babylon.

You can download it at http://www.lingoes.net/

Bye!
Gianni

Justin Peterson
Justin Peterson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
Excellent, simple tool Feb 14, 2011

I think Babylon is an outstanding tool. It is simple to use, affordable, and flexible. You can add specialized dictionaries, and it is so fast and easy that it is worth turning to even just to double check translations, look for synonyms, etc. The thesaurus is extremely helpful. I cannot imagine working without Babylon. It has come to be an absolute must for me. I recommend it to everyone.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 14, 2011

Thank you both for your answers.

Any other opinions?

Joachim

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 23:17
English to Turkish
+ ...
GoldenDict Feb 15, 2011

I prefer using Babylon but GoldenDict has some additional features such as grouping dictionaries (which is handy if you have several glossaries), support for babylon, stardict and lingvo dictionaries. See http://goldendict.org/

Selcuk

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:17
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Licensing issues Feb 15, 2011

Its been a while since I used Babylon but as I recall it has licensing issues. I work from both an office and at home and when I tried to run Babylon from home as well as from my office, it cancelled the license I had purchased for both computers, so I had wasted my money. Unlike most software licenses, Babylon wanted me to pay per computer, not per user, even though it was only being used by one person on two computers.

After that I switched to Lingoes and never looked back. The
... See more
Its been a while since I used Babylon but as I recall it has licensing issues. I work from both an office and at home and when I tried to run Babylon from home as well as from my office, it cancelled the license I had purchased for both computers, so I had wasted my money. Unlike most software licenses, Babylon wanted me to pay per computer, not per user, even though it was only being used by one person on two computers.

After that I switched to Lingoes and never looked back. The wide variety of dictionaries available for Lingoes is very helpful, as is the ability to have them presented in the order you wish.
Collapse

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again Feb 15, 2011

Thank you guys for the last two answers as well!

Joachim

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI
Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
SITE LOCALIZER
Lingoes Mar 17, 2011

Hello, is there any option in Lingoes to add your own terms into a dictionary? I had a look at it and it looks quite neat, but I was not able to find out about this (the support forum is not available right now). Thank you.

wmac
wmac
Local time: 04:17
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Stardict May 27, 2011

There is this alternative open source project called Stardict.

They also provide a utility to convert babylon BGL format to startdict. You ma also download converted Babylon dictionaries in stardict format.

http://stardict.sourceforge.net

However I am not sure whether converted Babylon dictionaries provided by them are legal or have license issues.

I pe
... See more
There is this alternative open source project called Stardict.

They also provide a utility to convert babylon BGL format to startdict. You ma also download converted Babylon dictionaries in stardict format.

http://stardict.sourceforge.net

However I am not sure whether converted Babylon dictionaries provided by them are legal or have license issues.

I personally do not like the interface very much, and every now and then Chinese characters popup somewhere in the results.
Collapse

Raphael Corrêa
Raphael Corrêa  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:17
English to Portuguese
+ ...
GoldenDict is great May 30, 2011

Go for GOLDENDICT, it does an excellent job. It is possible to include any babylong BGL file into it, and use it for free

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 30, 2011

Thanks wmac and Raphael PC for your input.

Joachim

Bernardo Tonasse
Bernardo Tonasse
Czech Republic
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Downloading Babylon dictionaries without Babylon May 7, 2012

Raphael PC wrote:

Go for GOLDENDICT, it does an excellent job. It is possible to include any babylong BGL file into it, and use it for free

Yes, but I can never seem to download dictionaries from babylon.com. It always redirects me to download Babylon9_setup.exe or something like that.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Babylon software - what do people think? Alternatives?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »