Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:17
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Nov 24, 2010

Years ago I had Google desktop installed, but I felt it slowed down the machine, and I don't like it when something happens without me knowing what.
Now I'm looking for a software that would index only my TM-folder and maybe some other folder I specify, not the whole machine. But how about proprietary TM-formats like tmw- and itd-files. Can they be indexed directly or must they be converted to tmx first?
I often encounter terminology that seems familiar but I don't remember with what
... See more
Years ago I had Google desktop installed, but I felt it slowed down the machine, and I don't like it when something happens without me knowing what.
Now I'm looking for a software that would index only my TM-folder and maybe some other folder I specify, not the whole machine. But how about proprietary TM-formats like tmw- and itd-files. Can they be indexed directly or must they be converted to tmx first?
I often encounter terminology that seems familiar but I don't remember with what tool I did the translation and for which customer. If I could index the TM-folder I would know with which TM the translation was done. How do you handle this issue?

Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 13:17
English to Thai
+ ...
Indexing specific folders Nov 24, 2010

Windows indexing function can selectively index folders you want to have better search options. I use it without other extra indexing software i.e. by saving TM of different clients/language pairs in different folders.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:17
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Export Nov 24, 2010

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

how about proprietary TM-formats like tmw- and itd-files. Can they be indexed directly or must they be converted to tmx first?

Yes, tmw is not a text format, so you'll definitely have to export to tmx or, even better, txt (the search program might not try to index files with unknown extensions like tmx, but it'll definitely do txt).
Not sure about itd - you could try and open one with Notepad. If notepad opens it and you can see the text, then it's some plain text format, and your search software may be able to index it directly.
The search Soonthon talks about is probably the search that appeared in Windows 7; if you have XP, you'll need a third party tool.
If you want it free, Google Desktop might be your best option. Just disable everything you don't use to help with stability.

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Indexing software Nov 24, 2010

Hello Heinrich

if you were "good enough" in 2010, you can write a letter to Santa Claus asking for Logiterm Pro ...

it indexes quite everything: PDFs, MS Office files and Trados txt export files, plus it has an aligning tool a lot more reliable than others, and this tool converts automatically a Trados txt export file in a Logiterm indexed file (a html)

after indexing, that is indeed a
... See more
Hello Heinrich

if you were "good enough" in 2010, you can write a letter to Santa Claus asking for Logiterm Pro ...

it indexes quite everything: PDFs, MS Office files and Trados txt export files, plus it has an aligning tool a lot more reliable than others, and this tool converts automatically a Trados txt export file in a Logiterm indexed file (a html)

after indexing, that is indeed a heavy process that can require many hours if you have zillions of words to index, but is anyway a one-off task, Logiterm Pro retrieves data very quickly and let you know from what memory or corpora a translation comes from, that is your target, I think to understand

Claudio

P.S. open with Notepad a "1 zillion" txt and you'll have to wait eons ...

[Modificato alle 2010-11-24 13:11 GMT]
Collapse

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 09:17
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
DtSearch Desktop May 11, 2012

I find this application quite useful for indexing and data retrieval purposes:
http://www.dtsearch.com/
Index whatever files you need indexed, then quickly look up terms etc. in the indexed corpora. Relevant data is retrieved and highlighted in the context and you can quickly scroll to find the information relevant to your search.

wotswot
wotswot  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:17
Member (2011)
French to English
Question for Kurt May 12, 2012

dtsearch sounds good, but can you use it directly in Windows Explorer, maybe in Windows Explorer's right-click menu, to search for all occurrences or a particular term or phrase in all the files in the folder/subfolder you right-click on?

Richard

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Indexing software

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »